Community Service for Ticket

Superscally

Chatting to a pal about various Glasto issues including ticket difficulties and ethos when she came up with a good idea...which was along the lines of being able to complete some community service/volunteering with festival-linked organisations, before the festival, to be eligible to qualify for a set pool of tickets allocated to those who did so? Maybe even a lottery aspect to it? Would mean that you could leave no trace at the festival but leave a worthwhile one outside. Would mean you'd be at the fest with a load of heroes too! I think it's a great plan. The millennial version of queueing outside the box office ?

Edited by Superscally

1 minute ago, Superscally said:

Chatting to a pal about various Glasto issues including ticket difficulties and ethos when she came up with a good idea... Why not have a thing where you have to complete a set number of hours of certified community service/volunteering before you can get a registration number and tickets given out on a priority basis to those who have done the most? Would mean that you could leave no trace at the festival but leave a worthwhile one outside. Would mean you'd be at the fest with a load of heroes too! I think it's a great plan. The millennial version of queueing outside the box office ?

im in .... only downside is it might penalise those with less free time / families etc ... but perfect for me 

55 minutes ago, Superscally said:

Chatting to a pal about various Glasto issues including ticket difficulties and ethos when she came up with a good idea... Why not have a thing where you have to complete a set number of hours of certified community service/volunteering before you can get a registration number and tickets given out on a priority basis to those who have done the most? Would mean that you could leave no trace at the festival but leave a worthwhile one outside. Would mean you'd be at the fest with a load of heroes too! I think it's a great plan. The millennial version of queueing outside the box office ?

How would that be fair on people on low incomes (or even people on hefty incomes) who don't have the time to spare because their job/s require a lot of hours? Or people with childcare responsibilities or care roles? Or people who live in areas with no certified community service orgs? 

I wouldn't really want to go if you have to prove yourself worthy, it's a festival not some sort of godly judgement 

Edited by Mr.Tease
  • Upvote 12

51 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Anything with this phrase is bad.

Disagree. Some things are, some things aren't...

36 minutes ago, Mr.Tease said:

How would that be fair on people on low incomes (or even people on hefty incomes) who don't have the time to spare because their job/s require a lot of hours? Or people with childcare responsibilities or care roles? Or people who live in areas with no certified community service orgs? 

I wouldn't really want to go if you have to prove yourself worthy, it's a festival not some sort of godly judgement 

There could be online things too. All of the obstacles could be overcome. Some people would like it, some wouldn't. I'm not saying you'd do it to be better than anyone, just do it to make the world a better place. What's so wrong about that? 

5 hours ago, Superscally said:

Would be perfect for me too as I’m mega rich and don’t have to work, so don’t*

(*I’m not, and do)

2 hours ago, Rufus Gwertigan said:

Brilliant a stack of people doing a half arsed job for a reward rather than from a sense of social or community responsibility. If you want to help your community just do it. 

There's never any harm in a carrot... So surprised at the negative reaction to this. Can't see what bad could come from it. Pretty cynical to think that people would do a half arsed job. Maybe it could be the spark for some people to change the way they went about their path on this world.

22 minutes ago, Superscally said:

There's never any harm in a carrot... So surprised at the negative reaction to this. 

The festival is a holiday and a break for thousands of people - it's essentially a holiday. You shouldn't have to earn your right or be 'more worthy' of going.

It's an idea that would be a nightmare to manage and administer and would possibly exclude certain people. It's a terrible idea.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, Superscally said:

Pretty cynical to think that people would do a half arsed job. Maybe it could be the spark for some people to change the way they went about their path on this world.

As someone that manages volunteers as part of my job, Rufus' point is completely fair. The best volunteers are the one who want to be doing the jobs they are doing. The best volunteers wouldn't be people turning up to tick some boxes so they can go to a festival. 

I think it would be good of the festival to reward people in the community who do hard work, maybe a small pot. But the general ticket sale should be a ticket sale that's open to all, not those who are able to volunteer easily.

8 minutes ago, strummer77 said:

As someone that manages volunteers as part of my job, Rufus' point is completely fair. The best volunteers are the one who want to be doing the jobs they are doing. The best volunteers wouldn't be people turning up to tick some boxes so they can go to a festival. 

I think it would be good of the festival to reward people in the community who do hard work, maybe a small pot. But the general ticket sale should be a ticket sale that's open to all, not those who are able to volunteer easily.

The best volunteers are, of course. However, extra help is extra help. Your point about it not being the majority is probably fair, but the principle for a proportion isn't a terrible idea. I don't see what's wrong with earning your right. I wish it could go back to the days where you could get them from HMV. I think having it so those who want to go could increase their chances by putting in some hard yards makes a lot of sense. 

8 minutes ago, Superscally said:

The best volunteers are, of course. However, extra help is extra help. Your point about it not being the majority is probably fair, but the principle for a proportion isn't a terrible idea. I don't see what's wrong with earning your right. I wish it could go back to the days where you could get them from HMV. I think having it so those who want to go could increase their chances by putting in some hard yards makes a lot of sense. 

I agree on investing more of our time in our community (where the community isn't necessarily a physical one around each person) but from an IT and admin perspective, it would be harder and more expensive than what's in place already, and potentially liable to abuse. Pedantically, I'd have to point out your comment on earning the right to go jars a bit with the next sentence of just walking into a shop to buy them over the counter.

1 hour ago, Superscally said:

It’s a nice thought but it’s only one someone in a position of some privilege could wish to implement (I don’t mean that nastily).

Why people working ridiculously long hours to earn money to feed families and pay mortgages should have to do extra unpaid work just to get the chance to possibly get to go on their annual holiday isn’t obvious to me. For some very good people it would stop them from going. 

Edited by strummer77
  • Like 1

I'd say that the intention behind the original suggestion is an honourable one at base level, but as others have suggested, it would exclude some people who there is no right to exclude, and may well be excluded harshly in other areas of life, as it is.

I think that Rufus summed it up succinctly in that if you want to help the community then just do it . There should be no 'physical' evidence of reward for doing so.

I used to go litter picking at weekends on my own around a reservoir, as it infuriated me so much that the nature around the reservoir was being spoilt by litter. I did it for that long that some anglers actually thought that I was the warden for the reservoir. I gave up in the end, as I realised that I was just pissing in the wind. Ho hum.

• Upvote 1