Ticket Sale Date

Mr. Snrub

6 hours ago, Superscally said:

Nope. There is no re-entry to the ticket page any more. You're back to square one. 

Definitely my experience in the last 3 years. I used to have a rep of good success because once I’d got the first lot I could go on and on to get further groups of 6. Not poss these days. 

10 hours ago, ceetee said:

Did anyone else get Supergrass tickets on Wednesday? The sale was via See and they had their own subdomain (supergrass.seetickets.com) much like how they handle the Glastonbury sale, but they actually implemented a ticket holding system, where they were reserved for 5 minutes while you typed your details in.

Is this something new See have developed, or do they always use this for popular sales? If its new, do you think it will be used for the Glastonbury sales, to maybe reduce the amount of backlash from people who miss out after filling their details in?

Interesting. Any idea at which stage did the tickets get reserved?  There were reports of a timer on the Glastonbury tickets last year but only at the payment stage.  Many people experienced issues getting payments through and Emily has said they were aware and something would be fixed....

....the 'busy' page is still with us though...even hitting F5 more than 60 times in a minute on the Supergrass pre-sale page throws the page of doom... 

Screenshot_20190913-073413.png

Always new this would be the date so pretty bad planning from me.

We are expecting our second child and he’s due on October 11th. If he comes early and it’s the Sunday my wife and I have agreed as long as she’s not in full labour I can try for tickets. We are having a home birth anyway and the computer is next to where the birthing pool is going so I will be next to her anyway, just to add more stress to ticket day 

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, stuie said:

Definitely my experience in the last 3 years. I used to have a rep of good success because once I’d got the first lot I could go on and on to get further groups of 6. Not poss these days. 

Pleased to hear this is no longer the case. Always seemed a really unfair quirk of the system that favoured mega groups.

Just found out that 99 quid in 1999 translates as 149 today, so assuming that current rate of increase continues, that means ticket prices will have doubled in real terms in 23 years...

You get a lot more at the festival than there was in '99, but especially seeing as the trader rents have skyrocketed, I don't think this can really all be classed as "value". 

Thoughts?

33 minutes ago, Superscally said:

Just found out that 99 quid in 1999 translates as 149 today, so assuming that current rate of increase continues, that means ticket prices will have doubled in real terms in 23 years...

You get a lot more at the festival than there was in '99, but especially seeing as the trader rents have skyrocketed, I don't think this can really all be classed as "value". 

Thoughts?

Well, this is industry-wide. A stadium gig in '99 would probably be about 30 - that's about 50 today.  Most stadium gigs now start at 80 and really there seems to be no upper limit to what they will charge.

I think that as record sales plummet, labels now take quite a chunk of tour revenue, so they need paying. It's probably true to say that costs have risen faster than inflation as well. I expect the security and H&S budgets are higher now than in the 90s. And of course, if the market will bear it, they will charge it.

It does beg the question, how much could Glastonbury charge per ticket and still sell out? 400 seems plausible.

34 minutes ago, Superscally said:

Thoughts?

It's a hard one. I've only been going since '09, but even in that time there are a lot of noticeable differences in the place.  Definitely feels like there's more going on Wed and Thu than there was even then, which is the obvious bit. Then you've got the stuff like Cineramageddon, Pangaea and Glastonbury on Sea. But it's probably the less obvious stuff like drainage, facilities, water points etc that aren't as tangible but definitely make it "better".

Those closer to the fest may know this - what's the cost to the festival of providing the volume of drinking water that they do?  I have literally zero understanding of how the payment for water works for either a farm or a commercial endeavour like a festival.  That's an awful lot of water that we as punters have access to.

Personally I think that I can see where the money goes, but that doesn't stop it coming out of my pocket!  It'll eventually hit a point where no matter how much additional benefit I'm getting for the ticket price it's just too expensive.  Like buying better and more expensive bottlees of booze; might taste amazing but that don't mean I can afford it!

I'd be quite happy for them to stop tinkering if it froze the price a bit.

44 minutes ago, brettredmayne said:

It scares me how many people on my facebook who have never shown any interest in festivals are suddenly sharing the registration link.

I almost had a selfish attitude of its the 50th , can you not decide to go in 2021

Worth remembering that every year around this time people are getting excited, sharing links, etc. When push comes to shove they won’t all be there at 9am that Sunday morning.

This is it: I don't deny that there have been massive improvements and you can see where the money goes. The hard fact, though, is that people's pay just hasn't gone up in real terms to meet the inflation in prices of gig tickets and festivals. At some point surely that will bite? Or does it just price out whole sections of the market? I can still afford to go, but my friends with kids really can't now and are not sure when they could go again.

13 hours ago, Gilgamesh69 said:

Are there any stats for like how many tickets are available, how many people have tried for tickets etc? Just trying to figure out the odds

It's all guessimate. The more informed sources suggested 1 million were actively looking for tickets last October. Given the very high number of diehard regulars I know who failed last year such a high figure is hard to dispute. As a result of that experience, and the high numbers of newbies who been expressing a bucket list Glasto 50 anniversary, collectively on the forum we sense trepidation and dread ahead.

Chins up however, unless you try you won't be going!

42 minutes ago, brettredmayne said:

I hate this bucket list thing but it is something we just get used to hearing.

Seeing Kylie in the Sun which got huge viewing figures and press coverage won't have helped things at all

what we need is a good mud bath year, that always stops people from trying the following year

it;s not taht bad when its wet , Glastonbury is like Pizza, even a bad pizza is good. a wet glastonbury is still good 

2 minutes ago, shuttlep said:

what we need is a good mud bath year, that always stops people from trying the following year

it;s not taht bad when its wet , Glastonbury is like Pizza, even a bad pizza is good. a wet glastonbury is still good 

Unfortunately those times have made negligible impact to demand the following year.

13 minutes ago, Quark said:

Fuck it let's be honest, we were all first timers once. 

I know , but back in 2004,  it wasn't a problem getting a ticket 

and I didn't know what i would be missing out on

seriously considering working it next year 

10 hours ago, parsonjack said:

Interesting. Any idea at which stage did the tickets get reserved?  There were reports of a timer on the Glastonbury tickets last year but only at the payment stage.  Many people experienced issues getting payments through and Emily has said they were aware and something would be fixed....

....the 'busy' page is still with us though...even hitting F5 more than 60 times in a minute on the Supergrass pre-sale page throws the page of doom... 

Screenshot_20190913-073413.png

It was from the page after selecting how many tickets you'd like. Doesn't seem to be doing it on the Supergrass site now though.

Personally, and I say this as a someone who drives to Glastonbury but is unable to get to the site until late Thursday, I really don't like the Worthy View priority booking for coach ticket holders.  It's yet another restriction on an already fraught process of getting tickets and then WV accommodation.  On the face of it I get the environmental aspect, although does it really have an impact as coach tickets sell out instantly anyway?  Even if you increased the amount of coach tickets they would still shift them so does the the WV incentive really have any impact environmentally?

For myself, I can't get to Glastonbury until late on Thursday, due to family and work commitments, so WV was ideal as finding a general camping pitch late on Thursday is challenging to say the least.  Unless they are going to greatly increase WV capacity then I think it should still be an open booking system giving everyone an equal chance of getting a WV tent.  I guess one thing to consider is the cumulative cost of buying a coach ticket package and then WV accommodation on top of that really does start getting extremely costly.

Just my opinion and appreciate it comes from a biased view point.

16 minutes ago, spcdust said:

On the face of it I get the environmental aspect, although does it really have an impact as coach tickets sell out instantly anyway?  Even if you increased the amount of coach tickets they would still shift them so does the the WV incentive really have any impact environmentally?

Errr, what?

5 minutes ago, clarkete said:

Errr, what?

It was a question so feel free to provide an an answer / opinion.

Point being the WV priority booking for coach packages is justified as part of Glasto's environmental drive and at face value you may accept that - however I'm not convinced it really does have any significant impact apart from adding a further complication / tiering of ticket buying.  I would just keep it as a equal chance for any ticket holder to purchase WV accomodation no matter the ticket they hold, but then again I'm obviously biased as I'll be at a disadvantage.

18 hours ago, Funkyfairy! said:

I think the cycling scheme may have got/get pre pre sale - but may have dreamt that one lol

Yes, they had their own pre-sale invitation only ticket window. 

A friend benefitted from that a couple of years, but he didn’t get the offer last year so I guess it may have changed.