campervan sites

iloveglasto2020

Which campervan sites do people recommend?

Will hopefully (pending tickets) be coming from NZ next year, been to glasto a few times in the early 2000's, mostly camped but did a campervan one year. Purely for convenience a campervan looks like the easiest option for us given we'll have luggage with us....from memory the campervan site was a bit of a hike and I'm sure there was a bit of a hill involved, I cant remember which one we stayed at but are they all much of a muchness in terms of proximity?

Have looked at the campervan sites at Love Fields, seems extortionate to pay that much for a patch of grass but the location is great....feel like we need to have a plan nailed down before ticket day, advice welcome!

13 hours ago, iloveglasto2020 said:

Will hopefully (pending tickets) be coming from NZ next year, been to glasto a few times in the early 2000's, mostly camped but did a campervan one year. Purely for convenience a campervan looks like the easiest option for us given we'll have luggage with us....from memory the campervan site was a bit of a hike and I'm sure there was a bit of a hill involved, I cant remember which one we stayed at but are they all much of a muchness in terms of proximity?

Have looked at the campervan sites at Love Fields, seems extortionate to pay that much for a patch of grass but the location is great....feel like we need to have a plan nailed down before ticket day, advice welcome!

There are 3 campervan sites run by the festival. Passes for these are cheaper than the commercially  run private sites, though these can offer extra facilities.

Fest sites Campervan West & Campervan East are adjacent to the fest site and are a short walk away. The third fest site is a 10 minute free shuttle bus ride away at the Bath & West Showground and I believe this has toilet/shower blocks (anyone confirm as I not stayed there), the others have portaloo facilites.

Personally I prefer Campervan East as after entering the fest site it's closer to the Pyramid and other stages I generally frequent. East has the infamous "Hill of Death" walk back to your van, whilst West is flat walking. There's little else to choice between them and people often choose the one which suits their direction of arrival.

Campervan tickets go on sale immediately after the general ticket sale. Don't worry too much if you miss out getting them that day because there are normal ample opportunities to get one later.

By far your biggest issue for now will be getting tickets. Demand has rocketed astronomically over the last decade. For instance,  the general sale in 2018 for 2019 tickets lasted 36 minutes with over a million people chasing the 130,000 tickets available (according to those in the know!). Whilst the actual numbers will never be known, what is certain is far more people missed out on tickets than those who actually went. From the vibe on efests which began as long ago as 2016, a great many (me included) feel ( = apprehensive dread!) getting tickets for 2020 will be even harder as so many have expressed a wish to "do"  Glasto 2020 as it's the 50th anniversary.

For now I would suggest get an idea on campervan site and plan on how to get tickets. All you can do is TRY....Good luck.

Edited by Lycra

On 8/8/2019 at 11:23 PM, iloveglasto2020 said:

We were super lucky to get tickets for this year on our first try and are hoping to be as lucky this year ??one visit and we’re all hooked ?

We stayed in a campervan on Bath&West which is about a 10 minute bus ride away from the site and I can’t recommend it enough.

There was always more than one bus waiting to take people 24hrs a day and we never had to wait to get one going or coming home.

There is a toilet and shower block and this is where the pick up point so handy for quick visit before you go or come home.Showers can be in high demand in the morning but we always had one when we got back at night so no queues! 

There is also a food van but we always cooked our own breakfast, took our lunches in and bought our meals on site.

Think where you camp is entirely a personal thing based on what you want from your Glastonbury experience.

We are going to go for Bath & West again (providing the ticket gods are kind ?) as it suited us down to the ground but we’re in our late forties and the little luxuries like a bed to sleep in, s proper toilet and hot shower are a must for us ??

Hope this helps and good luck in October ?

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Mrs Dubs said:

We were super lucky to get tickets for this year on our first try and are hoping to be as lucky this year ??one visit and we’re all hooked ?

We stayed in a campervan on Bath&West which is about a 10 minute bus ride away from the site and I can’t recommend it enough.

There was always more than one bus waiting to take people 24hrs a day and we never had to wait to get one going or coming home.

There is a toilet and shower block and this is where the pick up point so handy for quick visit before you go or come home.Showers can be in high demand in the morning but we always had one when we got back at night so no queues! 

There is also a food van but we always cooked our own breakfast, took our lunches in and bought our meals on site.

Think where you camp is entirely a personal thing based on what you want from your Glastonbury experience.

We are going to go for Bath & West again (providing the ticket gods are kind ?) as it suited us down to the ground but we’re in our late forties and the little luxuries like a bed to sleep in, s proper toilet and hot shower are a must for us ??

Thanks for that! 

I lived in London when I was a youngster and glasto was a yearly pilgrimage for us. Definitely experienced the camping side of it but this time around practicality, comfort and convenience is the winner ?

The campervan tickets go on sale separately to the ticket sale and later in the month. Along with Worthy view and the teepee fields. So you don't need to lay all the money down same day. Get ticket first then worry about which CV field to go for. 

On 8/11/2019 at 12:30 PM, Mrs Dubs said:

Hi,were about on site does the shuttle bus drop you off/pick you up?

1 hour ago, grayzer1 said:

Hi,were about on site does the shuttle bus drop you off/pick you up?

There are 3 stops: one for Ribbon Tower/Bimble Inn, another at Avalon Inn and the last at The Cider Bus..... *

* alternatively, it may be just the Bus & Coach station :ph34r:

• Upvote 2

• 4 weeks later...

Once you pay your ticket deposit, I'd suggest you change your registration address to a UK one, where you can pick them up from, so you don't have the drama of not getting your tickets in time in NZ.

I'd go for the CV site closest to where you are likely to end up at the end of the night - to minimise the walk home.  In my case it's CV East as I tend to gravitate to the Acoustic Stage on the eastern side of the site.

Once setup in the camper van fields can you leave / come back easily?

I'm thinking of taking a caravan and setting up Wednesday then going back home to get the kids on Friday.

Is this realistic or should i be thinking of taking 2 vehicles?

Edited by ShuMart

On 9/16/2019 at 12:47 PM, ShuMart said:

Once setup in the camper van fields can you leave / come back easily?

I'm thinking of taking a caravan and setting up Wednesday then going back home to get the kids on Friday.

Is this realistic or should i be thinking of taking 2 vehicles?

not sure about East and West but from Bath and West i am pretty sure that would be no issue as there was plenty of space. 

Hi All

Do you need a physical ticket to get into the Campervan sites, West or East? I would like to take camper van into one of the sites on the Tuesday and leave it there go home and catch one of the coaches back the next day which will supply the tickets. Can you just book once you have coach ticket confirmation and arrive without a ticket? Does this make sense? Look forward to hearing from you all.

Pippers

2 hours ago, Pippers said:

Hi All

Do you need a physical ticket to get into the Campervan sites, West or East? I would like to take camper van into one of the sites on the Tuesday and leave it there go home and catch one of the coaches back the next day which will supply the tickets. Can you just book once you have coach ticket confirmation and arrive without a ticket? Does this make sense? Look forward to hearing from you all.

Pippers

Your campervan will need a pass on it, which is supposed to be purchased by you using your registration number.

I can't recall if they check your ticket too, I suspect so.

4 minutes ago, clarkete said:

Your campervan will need a pass on it, which is supposed to be purchased by you using your registration number.

I can't recall if they check your ticket too, I suspect so.

Last time we used a campervan they checked the campervan pass matched the ticket on entry.

5 hours ago, Pippers said:

Hi All

Pippers

Unfortunately you do need a ticket to get into the CV fields. Only way you could do what you're proposing would be to go out and get the campervan after you've come in on the coach - which would obviously be a day or 2 later.

Also be aware that you need another ticket for your CV itself, and they won't let you buy one of these if you've got a coach ticket (at least they haven't to date). You'd need someone coming in in the camper to have a non-coach ticket, if that makes sense.

• Upvote 1

• 2 years later...

To resurrect an old thread...

This may sound like a daft scenario, but I've got my reasons. 

On the slim chance that I was fortunate enough to get a coach ticket on Thursday, anyone got a suggestion for how I could stay in a caravan or campervan?

In the past I've rented a caravan that was already set up on site, but the primary company I used has stopped doing so over the last couple of years and the other firm I've used (and a few others I've seen) are already booked.

I don't currently have a campervan ticket (as I failed to get a festival ticket) and if I get a coach ticket I'd be unable to buy a CV ticket in the resale.  If I asked another benevolent soul to buy me a CV ticket then I believe if I (inefficiently and foolishly) nipped out to bring a campervan or caravan on site (after collecting my festival ticket on the coach) then they wouldn't let me in, as they say they check that the CV ticket matches one of the people with the vehicle.

Does worthy view or one of the other options have CV plots too?

We're old and have stayed in caravans or campervans for 10-15 years, so I'm very attached to having a bathroom in the van!

Do you know anyone else going who has standard tickets? The driver doesn't have to match the ticket - only someone in the vehicle. So could you coach it in, and head out with them to pick the van up?

Obviously a ton of ifs, cause you have to get the coach tickets, then get the campervan ticket, then get the van etc but that would be what I'd try. I have conceptually planned for this eventuality and my plan would be to try and get the coach from Bristol so I could drive down, park there, get the coach, then head back relatively simply (only a 5 or so hour detour by the time you account for the traffic!!)

8 hours ago, irnkrtn said:

Do you know anyone else going who has standard tickets? The driver doesn't have to match the ticket - only someone in the vehicle. So could you coach it in, and head out with them to pick the van up?

Obviously a ton of ifs, cause you have to get the coach tickets, then get the campervan ticket, then get the van etc but that would be what I'd try. I have conceptually planned for this eventuality and my plan would be to try and get the coach from Bristol so I could drive down, park there, get the coach, then head back relatively simply (only a 5 or so hour detour by the time you account for the traffic!!)

Yeah, your plan whilst perhaps arduous to some is sensible compared to mine atm 😉 

There are just two of us and we're currently trying for preference of coach, followed by GA if necessary.  So I'd need a willing volunteer who was prepared not only to buy me a CV pass but also make what seems too much of a sacrifice and miss part of the fest to get the van in - that's too much to ask of anyone imho.

When I decided this way around I was hoping it would be easier to find one of the firms with pre-installed caravans, but of course they've had 3 years to get booked up.  I have done that in the past and because those folks are delivering multiple caravans then there's no ticket holder there for it to be cross checked against.  I had some years I did this when I was not even allowed to drive, as the docs had taken away my licence so that was great.

Some would say - why are you doing that, rather than just go for GA and then try and get a CV pass, but I've had some years where coach has worked out really well for me, so I wanted to improve my chances, but was thinking the accommodation problem would have more options than I've found thus far.

So I'm looking for pretty much any options other than bring in a tent 🙂, even third party ones.

It would be a challenge for my weary old bones (and bladder) and my wing (wo)man would be unimpressed after I said that I should be able to sort that! 

5 minutes ago, clarkete said:

Yeah, your plan whilst perhaps arduous to some is sensible compared to mine atm 😉 

There are just two of us and we're currently trying for preference of coach, followed by GA if necessary.  So I'd need a willing volunteer who was prepared not only to buy me a CV pass but also make what seems too much of a sacrifice and miss part of the fest to get the van in - that's too much to ask of anyone imho.

When I decided this way around I was hoping it would be easier to find one of the firms with pre-installed caravans, but of course they've had 3 years to get booked up.  I have done that in the past and because those folks are delivering multiple caravans then there's no ticket holder there for it to be cross checked against.  I had some years I did this when I was not even allowed to drive, as the docs had taken away my licence so that was great.

Some would say - why are you doing that, rather than just go for GA and then try and get a CV pass, but I've had some years where coach has worked out really well for me, so I wanted to improve my chances, but was thinking the accommodation problem would have more options than I've found thus far.

So I'm looking for pretty much any options other than bring in a tent 🙂, even third party ones.

It would be a challenge for my weary old bones (and bladder) and my wing (wo)man would be unimpressed after I said that I should be able to sort that! 

You could try renting a van through a company like Quirky Campers - they area third party agent facilitating rental from van owner to rentee. There are plenty similar, and a few let you message the owner before agreeing to rent. You could look for one close to the festival site and see if they're prepared to deliver it for you. With contact to the festival office first, and the paperwork to confirm the rental, they should be allowed to do that if they're prepared to, for an extra fee.  

Plenty on here that offer a drop off service, are within 80 miles of the festival, and available for the festival dates. Of course, some might not be prepared to rent it out to attend Glasto..? 

https://www.camptoo.co.uk/supply/Glastonbury--England--United-Kingdom?include_delivery=1&date_start=2022-06-21&date_end=2022-06-27