Festival cancellations.

Even Oxfam stewards have become tent refugees sleeping in the Oxfam marquee at Boomtown, but the Boomtown site management and communication seems to have been exceptionally good given the challenges they’ve had.

11 minutes ago, philipsteak said:

I work in tourism and at work we've been saying for years that August is the worst month for a holiday in this country (outside of the winter months obviously). One of May, June or someone's July tends to be your best option

Scottish tourism reckon may and June up north,  after that it’s downpours and midges! 

10 minutes ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

Scottish tourism reckon may and June up north,  after that it’s downpours and midges! 

Cumbria, so the same but less so. Even 10 years ago when I started here August could be lovely. Still midges though.

Speaking of downpours, just had to jump on a bus to Carlisle after we all got kicked off the train at Lockerbie cos of flooded tracks. Few hundred people waiting for taxis and coaches to be organised, only 5 of us figured to check Google maps and walk 100 yards around the corner

22 hours ago, vintagelaureate said:

One of my friends said they closed a couple of stages for a few hours, and some tents have took a battering but overall the Boomtown site is coping admirably. 

Yeh, i didn't think it was too bad really. They transferred a lot of the sets from the closed stage over to one that closes at midnight anyway, and the rest of the site doesn't seem affected. The wind was pretty mental though, and yes, a lot of tents swept away. We were camping in quite a high spot, and there are a fair few tents collapsed nearby, but ours withstood it. And the rain/mud hasn't really been anything to write home about....so on balance, I'd still say better than Glasto 2016!

20 hours ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

Maybe June is the best month for a festival.  August seems to becoming the monsoon season in the UK.  High temps, downpours etc. Or is this just glasto related wishful thinking? 

Download had glorious weather this year ;)

21 hours ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

Maybe June is the best month for a festival.  August seems to becoming the monsoon season in the UK.  High temps, downpours etc. Or is this just glasto related wishful thinking? 

Funnily enough there was a huge discussion on the Download forums about whether the festival should continue to take place in June due to the poor weather again this year.

There no guaranteed time to have good weather.

Steelhouse Festival last week was an absolute scorcher but last year’s festival on the same weekend was nearly rained off and a few bands had to cancel because they were unable to get to the site.

I think this weekend proves that,In the U.K., you just have to pick a date to stage your festival and cross your fingers.

Two of my friends have been camping in Dorset with their daughter for the last week and their campsite got evacuated on Friday afternoon so they ended up having to get a hotel  - they returned yesterday to find their tent poles had snapped in the wind. Other people’s tents had completely blown away. I guess if Boardmasters had similar conditions they probably had no choice but to cancel 

2 hours ago, rivalschools.price said:

Funnily enough there was a huge discussion on the Download forums about whether the festival should continue to take place in June due to the poor weather again this year.

There no guaranteed time to have good weather.

Steelhouse Festival last week was an absolute scorcher but last year’s festival on the same weekend was nearly rained off and a few bands had to cancel because they were unable to get to the site.

I think this weekend proves that,In the U.K., you just have to pick a date to stage your festival and cross your fingers.

So basically it’s just down to luck and the weather gods. I rely on a well, a stick and a big dog for accurate info. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

On 8/9/2019 at 2:58 PM, SouthbanKen said:

Victorious last year closed the Seaside stage on the Sunday, again due to high winds. It is the only one of the stages that is fully exposed to the coastline, all the others have some sort of protection, unlike Boardmasters where it looks like the whole arena is exposed.   

The Saturday was fine but Sunday was like a proper typhoon- heavy horizontal rain and gale force winds coming off the sea! We arrived to find more people queuing to leave than go in at 1pm. Gomez performed under a small Gazebo on the main stage to shelter from the rain. Several areas were shut down or delayed because of wind and rain . After 2 -3 hours of driving wind and rain we gave up and went home - missed The Prodigy headlining  but we were soaked through! Not much shelter as all the stages at Victorious are outside ones. 

Camp Bestival had issues with weather too last year effecting the site.  

9 hours ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

So basically it’s just down to luck and the weather gods. I rely on a well, a stick and a big dog for accurate info. 

Ah, that's very local. They need to start creating franchises around the country and then we wouldn't have these issues. I have a spring, some spare decking and 2 cats, and offer my services for Yorkshire.

23 hours ago, sedra said:

The Saturday was fine but Sunday was like a proper typhoon- heavy horizontal rain and gale force winds coming off the sea! We arrived to find more people queuing to leave than go in at 1pm. Gomez performed under a small Gazebo on the main stage to shelter from the rain. Several areas were shut down or delayed because of wind and rain . After 2 -3 hours of driving wind and rain we gave up and went home - missed The Prodigy headlining  but we were soaked through! Not much shelter as all the stages at Victorious are outside ones. 

Camp Bestival had issues with weather too last year effecting the site.  

Your right, i had "forgotten" about the morning delays and Gomez, i say forgotten because i had the luxury of staying on a boat overnight and because of the hideous weather we stayed there in the dry till about 5pm before heading onto site for a relatively dry evening. that was some proper rain that morning.  

23 hours ago, Matt42 said:

My neighbours tent blew away at boom lol

either that or someone nicked it

Our friends tent also blew away. Fortunately, she'd already moved into our tent as it had leaked the night before. And it had already misbehaved on the Thursday morning when it popped out of the bag while she was making her way to the campsite and refused to get back in. There is definitely a lesson there about buying shit one-skin pop ups

Interesting article on the Guardian about cancelling a festival.

Festivals have emergency liaison team meetings between department heads every six hours during an event and on that Saturday the reality began to, literally, sink in at Y Not. “The key is maintaining the services,” says Drape. “Can you get ambulances around? Can toilets be maintained? If not, you start looking at what abandonment might look like and the most appropriate time to do that.”

On ‎8‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 1:14 PM, Sasperella said:

Our friends tent also blew away. Fortunately, she'd already moved into our tent as it had leaked the night before. And it had already misbehaved on the Thursday morning when it popped out of the bag while she was making her way to the campsite and refused to get back in. There is definitely a lesson there about buying shit one-skin pop ups

I heard a few people were having problems at Boomtown, including getting texts from Boomtown themselves saying if I camped in the meadow area I should come back to the campsite as shit is getting blown away, but I used double tent pegs (which includes doing them at the right angle and the guy ropes) on my sturdy tent which I have taken to multiple festivals and everything was fine. 

8 hours ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

The movement of emergency vehicles might explain why the Glastonbury site has added more roadways in recent years,  certainly that would be a major concern during poor weather. 

The land rovers that security and medics use at glasto can easily handle some mud. Even 2016 conditions aren’t much of a problem. Smaller festivals probably can’t afford to rent an army of land rovers though