Festival cancellations.

49 minutes ago, Pinhead said:

Magical Sounds nearly collapsed one year when I was at BT when I was stewarding - due to kids swinging on the main support ropes! Had to stand there and tell em to piss off. Eventually got some hay bales bought in for them to climb on instead.

Ha, in that case we've probably met. I was on a roaming shift in the arena and was brought in to help with that 

4 hours ago, Pinhead said:

Magical Sounds nearly collapsed one year when I was at BT when I was stewarding - due to kids swinging on the main support ropes! Had to stand there and tell em to piss off. Eventually got some hay bales bought in for them to climb on instead.

I thought they were for the sound bleed. Goes to show...

In Cornwall right now and it is very very grim. Think they did the right thing - being on those cliffs for a few days in 50 mph winds and driving rain while gillespied not much fun. 

Lots of people fear for Boardmasters’ future, its had to cancel several nights before, but never the whole thing (it used to be more of a set of individual nights rather than a ‘proper’ camping festival though.)

23 hours ago, Airlie said:

How close was glasto 2016 to being cancelled?

If I remember it finally stopped pissing it down on the weekend before and was dry for 3 days (after about 3 weeks of non-stop rain) after which it started raining again the Monday night.

Had it not stopped for those 3 days it's very likely they would not have been able to finish the build and either had to cancel, or run a massively reduced festival.

Victorious last year closed the Seaside stage on the Sunday, again due to high winds. It is the only one of the stages that is fully exposed to the coastline, all the others have some sort of protection, unlike Boardmasters where it looks like the whole arena is exposed.   

Here in the US, where we have far fewer camping festivals, we see individual days cancelled and/or evacuations somewhat regularly. Governor's Ball in New York City has seen at least one day delayed, evacuated, and/or cancelled for three or more years within the last ten years. Panorama has had the same issue Lollapalooza has had to evacuate multiple times. 

High wind and the threat of lightning will shut down a festival. Between the stages being basically kites if there's a high wind, and the personnel required to be on high towers for light, etc., it's a reasonable call. Also, we tend to have to deal with evacuating people out from venues and into cities.

17 minutes ago, juuceman said:

Here in the US, where we have far fewer camping festivals, we see individual days cancelled and/or evacuations somewhat regularly. Governor's Ball in New York City has seen at least one day delayed, evacuated, and/or cancelled for three or more years within the last ten years. Panorama has had the same issue Lollapalooza has had to evacuate multiple times. 

High wind and the threat of lightning will shut down a festival. Between the stages being basically kites if there's a high wind, and the personnel required to be on high towers for light, etc., it's a reasonable call. Also, we tend to have to deal with evacuating people out from venues and into cities.

Interesting.  Do people just accept it as one of the risks over there?

At boomtown now and Shanti Celeste played an absolute smasher of a set to pretty much hurricane winds. It’s calmed down a fair bit at boom now but I’ve never experienced winds like this at a festival before. Pretty unique. The festival seems to be holding up pretty well though.

Edited by Matt42

8 hours ago, Matt42 said:

At boomtown now and Shanti Celeste played an absolute smasher of a set to pretty much hurricane winds. It’s calmed down a fair bit at boom now but I’ve never experienced winds like this at a festival before. Pretty unique. The festival seems to be holding up pretty well though.

Lots of people lost their tents or they’ve broken and flooded going by fb and insta reports! And stages closed? 

I really hope it improves for you all.  It’s definitely made my feelings of missing out this year go away a bit! 

1 minute ago, stuie said:

Lots of people lost their tents or they’ve broken and flooded going by fb and insta reports! And stages closed? 

I really hope it improves for you all.  It’s definitely made my feelings of missing out this year go away a bit! 

Don’t forget you will see the absolute worst on fb and ista ... like at Glastonbury where they search high and low for that elusive puddle the last few years 

21 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

Don’t forget you will see the absolute worst on fb and ista ... like at Glastonbury where they search high and low for that elusive puddle the last few years 

Yeah I know what you mean, but the fb ones are people I know and they are used to Boomtown (and Glastonbury) conditions! 

23 minutes ago, dotdash79 said:

My friends left last night after he did his set but planning on coming back on Sunday, one of them said a bit of staging came off and injured 3 people but I not sure how true that is.

I heard the same... panel came off Relic stage.