Festival cancellations.

34 minutes ago, pryce said:

Was at pukkelpop that year with a few others on this forum, the weather came out of knowhere and hit without any real warning, was pretty terrifying. The campsite was flattened and flooded within minutes 

I just watched some videos of that...probably shouldn't have just before arriving at Boomtown. 

I'll be staying away from any big metal structures when the gusts hit!

As has been mentioned, the Boardmasters site is exposed on top of a cliff - but for those who haven't seen it, I think it's worth posting a photo showing just how exposed it really is. Bear in mind that the forecast is/was for 50mph winds, and in direction terms the wind would be heading straight for the sea so there's a definite danger there.

DWpiew4WAAATFM1.jpeg.e5682054eba07a10740606ecd8527fe8.jpeg

17 minutes ago, Sasperella said:

I just watched some videos of that...probably shouldn't have just before arriving at Boomtown. 

I'll be staying away from any big metal structures when the gusts hit!

Latest weather forecasts are only predicting 25mph winds top for Boomtown, so should be fine :)

Edit, some are actually suggesting it might get up to 45mph winds ::unsure:

Edited by mr flow

Boomtown 2017 was nearly cancelled due to the weather. Had lashed it down the day or two before and was still doing so when I arrived to steward for Oxfam. In the briefing they tried to quash ideas that it might be cancelled, however later post festival there was a statement released about how close they came to doing so iirc.

36 minutes ago, incident said:

As has been mentioned, the Boardmasters site is exposed on top of a cliff - but for those who haven't seen it, I think it's worth posting a photo showing just how exposed it really is. Bear in mind that the forecast is/was for 50mph winds, and in direction terms the wind would be heading straight for the sea so there's a definite danger there.

Christ on a bike.  I can see they might get jittery about that.

Currently working at boomtown and site managers are advising traders to take down all gazebos and high signs in preparation for tomorrow.

EDIT: although currently I’m in a t shirt and shorts so. See how it goes 

Edited by Matt42

1 hour ago, incident said:

Now that’s what I call a long drop! 

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, Smeble said:

It took me 9 hours to get on site and I only live 30 mins away.

12 minutes ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

Took me nine hours from west of Scotland  to Glastonbury town then another eight hours from Glastonbury to pilton! 

Always someone who can one up you :) 

a few mates of mine (with an absolute bare minimum of help from me, ill be honest ?) organised a little mini-festival for a birthday last month - hired a field, got a marquee with a little stage and an electric hook-up for the PA, stuck up a few big tents and gazebos, ran a bar, little barbecue etc for about 80 people - everything was set up and good to go about an hour before it started, when a massive bloody wind came and uprooted the marquee. It flew about thirty feet down the field, and ten of us legged it and grabbed a pole each and managed to stick it back up. Our engineering solution was to park a car either side and ratchet strap the marquee to the cars. . . . it worked, and everything was fine! but if the wind had got up the night before, when only about five people were around, then the PA wouldve got soaked and the whole thing a massive damp squib. 

Wind is a right bugger to mitigate for. 

29 minutes ago, rawrsomesauce said:

My cynical side can't help but wonder if Houghton and Beyond the Woods used the weather as an excuse to cancel due to poor ticket sales

Houghton sold out months ago...   I don't know anything about Beyond the Woods.

Twice at The Acoustic Festival of GB they had to close stages due to wind.

1 hour ago, Neville Street said:

I seem to remember Bearded Theory had a stage partial collapse due to wind a few years ago

An actual tornado. The stage was renamed Tornado Town for a few years afterwards.