Festival cancellations.

Correct me if I'm wrong but Boardmasters and Haughton fests both being called off because of weather conditions is pretty peculiar.

Which leads me to ask, with shite weather and festivals often going hand in hand, why? Is this really the worse than Download was this year, or countless other wind and rain swept mud baths?

If so, is this another sign of climate change? Or is it "health and safety gone mad?" A phrase like "PC gone mad" that makes my skin crawl.

Or is there an obvious answer that only applies to where these two festivals take place that I should have just Googled?

whatever it is I'll wait for you people to tell me.

Boardmasters is different in this instance I believe... the camping is basically on an exposed cliff. So with very strong winds peoples tents could be getting blow off... with people in them potentially? Rain is rain.... People are unlikely to be killed by mud :D unless they drown in it passed out? ha 

Still I feel absolutely gutted for everyone who was going... imagine Glasto being cancelled 12 hours before it was due to open?! Heart breaking. 

Houghton in Norfolk but not on the coast...no idea why it would be worse than Boomtown?

Just met some girls in the coach queue who had just been waiting for the Houghton coach, only to be told it was cancelled....so bought boomtown tickets and switched queues. They are currently tentless though as had a pre-pitched tent at Houghton!

Edited by Sasperella
  • Upvote 1

Yeah despite insurance, it's a huge decision to make and I'm not surprised it was made at the last minute, as this shows they really tried to avoid a cancellation. 

Insurance will cover a majority of costs, but does not cover damage to the brand. It would be an absolute final option for any established festival. 

33 minutes ago, Sasperella said:

Houghton in Norfolk but not on the coast...no idea why it would be worse than Boomtown?

Just met some girls in the coach queue who had just been waiting for the Houghton coach, only to be told it was cancelled....so bought boomtown tickets and switched queues. They are currently tentless though as had a pre-pitched tent at Houghton!

That’s the spirit, good on them hope they have a great time!

Gutted for everyone who had a ticket for Houghton, hope it doesn’t have any long term implications for the festival either as I went last year and it was really great.

Four of the key stages at Houghton are right within the woods with overhanging woodland, so I guess maybe this may cause extra health and safety problems with lightning and strong winds causing fallen trees or branches? Not sure if that could have had a part to play maybe?

11 minutes ago, Tartan_Glasto said:

Yeah despite insurance, it's a huge decision to make and I'm not surprised it was made at the last minute, as this shows they really tried to avoid a cancellation. 

Insurance will cover a majority of costs, but does not cover damage to the brand. It would be an absolute final option for any established festival. 

oh, absolutely - but having one less thing to worry about if you cancel is sure to make the decision to cancel that little bit easier.

i wasn't trying to suggest anyone takes the decision lightly.

53 minutes ago, The Nal said:

Google Pukkelpop 2011 and the Indiana State Fair stage collapse.

A pisser for the people going but safety first. Doesn't take a whole lot to bring one of those stages down.

The Oxfam training used the Indiana State Fair stage collapse video when I did it a few years ago, and actually now I think about it, the Pukkelpop one. They really are frightening.

I was at Bennicassim in 2009 when they cancelled a night due to wind, the main stage looked like it was about to blow away and its the size of the other stage, was pretty scary. They also evacuated the campsites so i spent the night sleeping in a sports hall! Lucky for me when we got back to a trashed campsite the next day the scaffold pole id tied my tent to for a washing line had kept it in place!

2 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

wind is a much worse problem than rain, and it seems to be a new-ish problem. I can't recall festivals cancelling due to high summer winds 10+(ish) years ago.

Maybe it's just due to some of the newer locations? Being on  top of a cliff for example is probably not the safest place tbh :huh: (as how long Board masters been around?) 

52 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

I'm guessing how well they're insured has a bearing on things. It'll make it easier to cancel if you know the costs are covered.

Is it possible that Houghton don't have weather cancellation insurance?  I'd guess that's a massive cost for a small event.  We'd already all decided to do this festival next year but now worrying a) if it's worth taking the chance and b) if it will even survive this.

3 minutes ago, shoptildrop said:

Maybe it's just due to some of the newer locations? Being on  top of a cliff for example is probably not the safest place tbh :huh: (as how long Board masters been around?) 

efests has it listed since 2006 - tho as 'Rip Curl' - although it might have existed before that.

More-exposed locations won't help, but there's been wind-incidents in places which aren't particularly exposed and where the stage wasn't the biggest.

We're getting different summer weather, with bigger &/or longer extremes, and those extremes coming along more regularly.

Just now, stuie said:

Is it possible that Houghton don't have weather cancellation insurance?  I'd guess that's a massive cost for a small event.

yep, it's quite possible. My impression is that most events don't have weather insurance tho I might be wildly wrong about that.

It's why the older ticket agents tend(ed?) to hold on to the ticket money until after the event has happened. That's less likely to be the case with the many newer agents, as one of the benefits they can have pitched to events to get their business is giving over the money straight away(ish).

I think it's likely that Boardmasters did tho. It was Broadwick, and Broadwick refunded Y-Not a few years ago on the basis of insurance.