2020 Lineup

5rebbecas

Looking at other festivals of similar size. (Tramlines / truck / ynot? ) I can see why kendals was released first. Get a few tickets sold. In comparison they’ve got it wrong I believe, looking at bands like royal blood / Richard Ashcroft / Ian brown / catfish / Bombay bicycle club. All being named as headliners.

they are all better fits to Kendal that 3 out of 4 we’ve got. In a sense that they’re either bigger or more relevant bands/artists than (supergrass & primal scream) and never played KC before or further back that 2018(stereophonics) 

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, Brandohoff said:

Looking at other festivals of similar size. (Tramlines / truck / ynot? ) I can see why kendals was released first. Get a few tickets sold. In comparison they’ve got it wrong I believe, looking at bands like royal blood / Richard Ashcroft / Ian brown / catfish / Bombay bicycle club. All being named as headliners.

they are all better fits to Kendal that 3 out of 4 we’ve got. In a sense that they’re either bigger or more relevant bands/artists than (supergrass & primal scream) and never played KC before or further back that 2018(stereophonics) 

I agree with this nearly! Count Ian Brown out ! Before the roses reunion he was not worthy of headlining ! And he only ever did adored when he was solo prior 2012 . I think Ashcroft would of been special he does play Verve tunes . And I think Catfish have played to often at Kendal now as well . Usually by now I would of been thinking yeah should be a good weekend but I’m just not feeling it yet ! 

The line up is great not sure what the problem is tbh foals are one of the best live current bands around, Stereophonics I agree is boring and I much would of rather had Ashcroft or royal blood, but royal blood are at others festivals over the weekend as are Bombay (schedule wouldn’t fit) so Ashcroft was the only real possibility! Ian brown would of been dreadful, hopefully primal brings the bangers or that could go south quickly I would of changed them for a dance act possibly fatboyslim or chemical brothers so going off the pool of headlining artists that are touring around that time they’ve done fantastic add to that a great mix of bands some which are big enough to and are headlining festivals of similar size kooks,dizzee, yma6, blossoms, Jonny marr it’s set to be a great weekend for fantastic value 👍🏻

I think they probably broke the bank on Foals as far as headliners go,  then they booked two other headliners who’ll go down well and will get a good crowd but won’t demand a lot of money. Realistically both will take whatever headline slots are offered to them at decently known festivals. 

That said, the undercard is incredibly strong, so they probably had a very handy budget to spend on that.

I’m not complaining, sorry if I came across that way, I’m looking forward too it, I just feel looking around the festivals of similar size they could of done better with the headliners especially, just feel like they’re lazy bookings especially with Richard Ashcroft and Royal Blood knocking around the small/medium festival circuit. Two amazing artists that have not played at KC before, rather than recycling stereophonics and primal scream. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, wro_lap said:

I think they probably broke the bank on Foals as far as headliners go,  then they booked two other headliners who’ll go down well and will get a good crowd but won’t demand a lot of money. Realistically both will take whatever headline slots are offered to them at decently known festivals. 

That said, the undercard is incredibly strong, so they probably had a very handy budget to spend on that.

There's nothing to suggest Foals would demand crazy money ahead of the others.

Richard Ashcroft is ok but well dated Urban Hymns. Loved the album in its day but it hasnt aged well. Imo.

And no dont know anything else hes done so. 

Saw him before Pink Floyd at Hyde Park a couple of years ago and was ok but its a bit miserable for a crowd.

Edited by Cadski

On 2/5/2020 at 12:28 PM, Brandohoff said:

I’m not complaining, sorry if I came across that way, I’m looking forward too it, I just feel looking around the festivals of similar size they could of done better with the headliners especially, just feel like they’re lazy bookings especially with Richard Ashcroft and Royal Blood knocking around the small/medium festival circuit. Two amazing artists that have not played at KC before, rather than recycling stereophonics and primal scream. 

Fair point this. It’s not the worst ever KC lineup but they had other options instead of repeating previous, relativity recent headliners.

That setting is crying out for something like the Chemical Brothers.

3 hours ago, Comfy Bean said:

Fair point this. It’s not the worst ever KC lineup but they had other options instead of repeating previous, relativity recent headliners.

That setting is crying out for something like the Chemical Brothers.

With them headlining IOW think it would be a fairly big drop or expensive booking for KC this year. But yes I agree

2 strong headliners - bore off stereophonics you were shit last time... not that long ago!!!

Glad I got a refund now - i accidentally double booked a holiday as the dates are later this year. I'm struggling to find a festival that appeals this year though - it just seems to be the same bands in a different order at most festival. Leeds has gone to the dogs and getting to Glastonbury is like getting in Willy Wonkas factory.

Might have to be a day ticket to download for me. I like the rockier side of festivals and the majority are moving away from that these days. :(

1 hour ago, Bobby Dassler said:

So we've got who? when? and God no not again. Meanwhile RATM are playing three festivals in the UK and Ireland, plus more in Europe. KC can no longer play the small festival punching above its weight card, it is bigger than ever. Having a small time line up is not the same as keeping the small festival vibe. 

Dude this festival literally has Foals headlining this year lol

10 minutes ago, wro_lap said:

Dude this festival literally has Foals headlining this year lol

And...? Supergrass were second tier in their prime, Stereophonics is now a medical term for an induced coma. Primal Scream I could accept if they were the only retro headliner.

Ten years ago this would have been a great line up, but KC is now 3 times the size it was ten years ago, with the budget and pulling power to match. 

It's not a bad line up, but to be honest it looks like a line up before the headliners are announced.

Kendal Calling is still clearly smaller than the majors and, with that in mind, they've booked a REALLY strong lineup.

Supergrass, past their prime, were playing third down at Glasto, so with that in mind, and the reunion bump, they're a very solid headliner. Foals are obviously a great choice and like it or not, the Phonics remain a big deal, regardless of your opinion of them.

I have no idea what it is you're expecting of them. They can book the people who are around. They're not likely to attract any special one offs like Reading and Leeds just did.

13 hours ago, DomDom1984 said:

Kendal Calling is still clearly smaller than the majors and, with that in mind, they've booked a REALLY strong lineup.

Supergrass, past their prime, were playing third down at Glasto, so with that in mind, and the reunion bump, they're a very solid headliner. Foals are obviously a great choice and like it or not, the Phonics remain a big deal, regardless of your opinion of them.

I have no idea what it is you're expecting of them. They can book the people who are around. They're not likely to attract any special one offs like Reading and Leeds just did.

Your totally correct with everything your saying .......... But ! Its lacking something ! definitely missing a mainstage dance act and Foals are a bit marmite ! I am holding out for the next announcement before properly forming an opinion