2020 Lineup

5rebbecas

On 8/6/2019 at 9:18 AM, LOCHLAND5 said:

Going to be difficult to work out this year tbh ! Kendal were always a bit independent when it came to booking bands they did appear to use the Global block of bookings but not fully. 

Headliners need hits and my opinion is Foals don’t have enough to satisfy a Kendal crowd . 

Could easily see chemicals there defo, think it’s time Blossoms played the main stage but not headline. Richard Ashcroft if only for the verve hits . Think it’s time they had a female headline so I would lump on Florence . Will have to see what superstruct bring to the table next year . 

Fuck off Foals are the biggest best festival act Kendal have had. Full. Stop.....

Edited by Cadski
  • Downvote 1

3 hours ago, Cadski said:

Fuck off Foals are the biggest best festival act Kendal have had. Full. Stop.....

Tidy mate ! But that sentence was last August they released 2 albums last year 1 months after I said this ,so I guess they’ve got more stuff in the armoury ! I also know for a fact they have been considered in the past but the feeling was for the money they wanted they didn’t have enough hits .Still not convinced though ,but that’s based on my tastes ! I’m more disappointed stereophonics are back so soon . TBH I’m concerned about the weather if it is muddy again and pissing down I’m seriously considering giving up on it ! I’m off to trnsmt for the Friday and toying with idea of going on the Saturday as well for LG , foals are playing that day so if I go I will check em out , bonus is it will be a smaller condensed set so if I think they are shit it’s only 60 mins of life 😂

• Upvote 1

Are they even the biggest band on the bill? Stereophonics are still filling arenas over 20 years into their careers, approaching 25 years since their first album, with seven of those, including their last, getting to #1.

Add a whole load of top 10 and further top 20 singles to that, and Foals still have a long way to go to reach that point.

Stereophonics sets are phenomenal too.

I feel they’re trying to change the target age range this year, get away from the school leavers filling the fields with underage drinking and drugs. It’s getting worse and worse year on year. The line up reflects this with a lot more “older” bands/acts. 

It wouldn’t surprise me if they change the minimum unaccompanied age from 16+ to 18+ in the next year or two 

Hi I know its not line up related but I wasn't sure which other forum to ask this in but when you purchase the ticket, there's the question, which campsite would you prefer to stay in, does this mean that whatever campsite you put, is the one you HAVE to stay in? 

TIA 

7 minutes ago, Rhysob99 said:

Hi I know its not line up related but I wasn't sure which other forum to ask this in but when you purchase the ticket, there's the question, which campsite would you prefer to stay in, does this mean that whatever campsite you put, is the one you HAVE to stay in? 

TIA 

Nope, think it's just to gauge the popularity of each area, whatever you put has no relevance on where you have to camp

• Like 1

On 2/3/2020 at 1:15 AM, LOCHLAND5 said:

Tidy mate ! But that sentence was last August they released 2 albums last year 1 months after I said this ,so I guess they’ve got more stuff in the armoury ! I also know for a fact they have been considered in the past but the feeling was for the money they wanted they didn’t have enough hits .Still not convinced though ,but that’s based on my tastes ! I’m more disappointed stereophonics are back so soon . TBH I’m concerned about the weather if it is muddy again and pissing down I’m seriously considering giving up on it ! I’m off to trnsmt for the Friday and toying with idea of going on the Saturday as well for LG , foals are playing that day so if I go I will check em out , bonus is it will be a smaller condensed set so if I think they are shit it’s only 60 mins of life 😂

Agreed on Stereophonics. I had given up on Kendal for last 2 years and missed Courteeners!

I have always wanted to see Foals at a festival, there sound will suit Kendal beautifully. Johnny Marr was awesome last time as well so im back in the fields. Top line up in my opinion. Best I have seen at any festival for a long time. 

No such thing as bad weather just bad choice of clothing.....

On 2/3/2020 at 4:46 AM, DomDom1984 said:

Are they even the biggest band on the bill? Stereophonics are still filling arenas over 20 years into their careers, approaching 25 years since their first album, with seven of those, including their last, getting to #1.

Add a whole load of top 10 and further top 20 singles to that, and Foals still have a long way to go to reach that point.

Completely different bands and sound but horses(or foals) for courses. I would take 1 Foals album over every Stereophonics album. 

Cliff Richards still fills stadiums.

1 hour ago, Cadski said:

Completely different bands and sound but horses(or foals) for courses. I would take 1 Foals album over every Stereophonics album. 

Cliff Richards still fills stadiums.

Yep. So Cliff is bigger than both.

I'm not debating better. I'd say Foals are better. It's not the same argument. I was asking if they're bigger like you said. 

9 hours ago, DomDom1984 said:

I'm not debating better. I'd say Foals are better. It's not the same argument. I was asking if they're bigger like you said. 

To my Mum and Auntie Cliff is bigger than both and up there with Barry Manilow.

Id say Stereophonics are more trendy Foals more Niche. Everybody knows Stereophonics not everybody knows Foals. Yet.

BBC @ Glastonbury use a Foals track as theme on their tv coverage. Their sound, to me is more suited to been in a festival than singing along to phonics songs imo. That's all I really meant. 

10 hours ago, DomDom1984 said:

Yeah, there's not really any measure by which Foals are the biggest band to have played at Kendal Calling tbh. It's not clear they're the biggest on this bill, although undoubtedly the most "current" of the headliners.

Anyway, I feel like the line-up is kinda just a selection of middling bands that are always floating about festivals. It's alright, it's just not hugely inspiring - I mean...Stereophonics again, really? I'm genuinely all for 90's bands on festival bills, but to be having one who hasn't really done anything of significant note for the best part of a couple of decades other than appearing at festivals every few years taking up yet another headline slot after only a few years after their last (boring) appearance?

At least when the Manics returned it was lower down the bill. Again, I've no issue with older bands but at least get Ashcroft, Brown or even New Order with a strong sub-headliner or something.

A significant chunk of the bottom half of the bill looks like it could have been copied and pasted from any other year too.