Kevin Parker - is he the main influence behind the genre of Bedroom Pop?

MillyBee

5 hours ago, Havors said:

Like I said we have difference ideas of what "pop" music is... this is what I call pop music.... just like all the taylor swift shite and the likes... 

"I'm a big strong hetero man and I listen to manly music, not like pop for pooftas!"

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Havors said:

Good for him... doesn't change what I define pop music as... 

Let's stop straw-manning me :D 

2 hours ago, dentalplan said:

“Officer, I didn’t say whether it was or wasn’t a red light. I just don’t consider that to be a red light. Stop straw-manning me”

I get what @Havors means and I think you all must do too really... sure it’s psychedelic pop but it’s not actual pop music is it.

Any of my friends and family who don’t do gigs or festivals won’t know him or the live band... never seen him perform on the end of a UK chat show etc... and... well it’s not that popular really! 

Edited by stuie

40 minutes ago, stuie said:

I get what @Havors means and I think you all must do too really... sure it’s psychedelic pop but it’s not actual pop music is it.

Any of my friends and family who don’t do gigs or festivals won’t know him or the live band... never seen him perform on the end of a UK chat show etc... and... well it’s not that popular really! 

I can say that not once did my reading of ‘pop music’ mean ‘the most popular of all music’. Everyone else in the thread was talking about the genre.

Also, you go into any thread on the eFestivals and say Tame Impala ‘isn’t very popular’ and you’ll be lucky to escape without a thick ear.  They are now mega huge super headliners and the only reason they didn’t headline the Pyramid this year was because of a clerical error!

1 hour ago, dentalplan said:

I can say that not once did my reading of ‘pop music’ mean ‘the most popular of all music’. Everyone else in the thread was talking about the genre.

Also, you go into any thread on the eFestivals and say Tame Impala ‘isn’t very popular’ and you’ll be lucky to escape without a thick ear.  They are now mega huge super headliners and the only reason they didn’t headline the Pyramid this year was because of a clerical error!

Ok, so everyone on efests is into gigs and fests, as i said - outside of that, it’s not pop music. 

I just meant I understand his point of view, that’s all! @GETOFFAMYLAWN‘s paraphrasing him is way off the mark... sure that’s not what was meant at all! 

6 minutes ago, stuie said:

Ok, so everyone on efests is into gigs and fests, as i said - outside of that, it’s not pop music. 

I just meant I understand his point of view, that’s all! @GETOFFAMYLAWN‘s paraphrasing him is way off the mark... sure that’s not what was meant at all! 

Where he said that he doesn’t like them being called pop music and that pop music was more ‘Taylor Swift shite’ and Spice Girls? I didn’t even think Lawn was paraphrasing there, that’s basically what yer man said.

16 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Does anyone call tap water “council pop”? I don’t believe those people exist but seeing as we’re on about what is and isn’t pop...

Very old people, maybe.

Edit: and they always look very pleased with themselves when explaining what it means. As if it's some great joke that they expect your sides to split when you realise it's... water!!!

Edited by stuartbert two hats
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, dentalplan said:

Does anyone call tap water “council pop”? I don’t believe those people exist but seeing as we’re on about what is and isn’t pop...

Chefs that I worked with nearly 30 years ago would call it council stock when substituting it for actual stock, re cowboys 

7 hours ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Very old people, maybe.

Edit: and they always look very pleased with themselves when explaining what it means. As if it's some great joke that they expect your sides to split when you realise it's... water!!!

4 hours ago, OG said:

Chefs that I worked with nearly 30 years ago would call it council stock when substituting it for actual stock, re cowboys 

Ha, yeah I guess the clue to it being a pretty dated term would be in the name.

7 hours ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Very old people, maybe.

This is so accurate.

I love the scene in Fire Walk With Me when Harry Dean Stanton's character tries to do the same thing with calling coffee "a cup of good morning America" but nobody picks him up on it so he keeps repeating it to no reaction. It's like holy shit there's old af Norman from work.

On 8/6/2019 at 1:33 PM, Quark said:

So @MillyBee what say you to all of this? Why do you think he of the flowing locks is so popular?

Wow -I didn't even expect one answer - you lot are great! I think he is popular because he is experimental and plays with sounds and is not trying to copy others but just producing his own sound - I may be wrong but that is my take after reading stuff online and seeing him live and his show live is just amazing.  Thanks for your ideas - it's all very helpful.  (actually I am doing a college project and chose him to study and just wondered what people thought)