Lessons from Valleyfest

Superscally

Just heading home (early, f**k you work) from an unexpectedly brilliant weekend at Valleyfest near Bristol. A peach of a festival, especially if you're looking to dabble in festivals with little uns run by an organic farmer, albeit one with a nonexistent facial hair game...

Here are my observations that have a bit of relevance for Glasto:

1) Razorlight would smash the shit out of anything from opening other to a slot up to one before sub on Pyramid. You forget how many bangers they have. More than the Libertines.

2) Elton would be off the chain. Cover band midway through afternoon got hairs universally on end. 

3) Festivals are very different with kids. Went with our 16mo and not sure if Glasto is a good idea at that age. However, this smaller one, less packed, family oriented was an absolute joy. Will be there again next year.

4) We're all getting older. We can't handle the ale anymore. Still, don't let the hangover hit, even when you have a bub to look after. Beer early, beer steady. 

Well, primarily cos they’re the very zenith of topshop indie bollocks, standard boring unchallenging guitar singalong nonsense fronted by a complete tosspot.

In my opinion, of course, and if that’s what people want (and there’s fields full of them out there, all inexplicably having fun) then great. But I can hardly think of a band I’d want to see less. They’re Bastille, Wombats, Cast, Northern Uproar, Joe Lean and the jing jang jong, it’s all so passionless and predictable. Slow strummy bit - chorus - guitar bit - chorus - key change! -  repeat chorus to fade. 

Thankfully, by dint of avoiding the Other stage, I manage not to see anything like this at Glastonbury ??

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, balti-pie said:

Well, primarily cos they’re the very zenith of topshop indie bollocks, standard boring unchallenging guitar singalong nonsense fronted by a complete tosspot.

In my opinion, of course, and if that’s what people want (and there’s fields full of them out there, all inexplicably having fun) then great. But I can hardly think of a band I’d want to see less. They’re Bastille, Wombats, Cast, Northern Uproar, Joe Lean and the jing jang jong, it’s all so passionless and predictable. Slow strummy bit - chorus - guitar bit - chorus - key change! -  repeat chorus to fade. 

Thankfully, by dint of avoiding the Other stage, I manage not to see anything like this at Glastonbury ??

But what do you really think? 

• Upvote 2

I’m trying not to be a dick about it, cos it’s just not constructive - saying things like ‘music for twats’ or ‘music for people who don’t like music’ is patronising and unnecessarily c*nty. I’m trying at present to think of something positive to say about everything in life, especially things i completely detest, and my positive for Razorlight is that photo where the band are all posing and there’s a Swedish fella with a huge great big hat, and that photo makes me laugh every time. So there’s my positive Razorlight thing! 

• Upvote 1

For a start, Cast were decent, but I think people were generally conditioned against Razorlight because Borrell obviously pissed off the wrong journalist and they got crucified, after saying the same shit other people get away with if the journalists like em. 

All I can say is, looking at the set list, they have a load of good singalong tunes and the crowd at the festival all seemed to have a very jolly time. They're certainly better than the bloody Wombats who are still inexplicably getting huge slots...

30 minutes ago, balti-pie said:

I’m trying not to be a dick about it, cos it’s just not constructive - saying things like ‘music for twats’ or ‘music for people who don’t like music’ is patronising and unnecessarily c*nty. I’m trying at present to think of something positive to say about everything in life, especially things i completely detest, and my positive for Razorlight is that photo where the band are all posing and there’s a Swedish fella with a huge great big hat, and that photo makes me laugh every time. So there’s my positive Razorlight thing! 

Although saying people "inexplicably" having fun when there's a perfectly good reason for them to be having fun slots right into the unnecessarily c*nty bracket ?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

11 hours ago, balti-pie said:

I do miss the more snarky side of these boards when it comes to poo-ing on other peoples favourite bands?

I'm used to people not liking the kind of music I like, and I never take personal offence when someone proclaims my favourite bands to be shite- I've always found it all in good humour. For whatever reason over the years, this kind of messing about has become frowned upon and its sometimes become a bit too polite (I'm sure people are terrified of getting downvoted!).

Thanks, your posts on Razorlight have made me laugh. I'll be honest I know one song by them and have some vague memory of the main singer wearing white trousers, black shoes and no top on some old BBC Glastonbury coverage- it was not a good look!

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Quark said:

I find having Levellers as your all time no.1 band kind of helps you build up decent anti-snark forcefield :lol:

? All of my friends used to hate each others music- when we were teenagers, we'd take great delight in putting on an album we knew the other would absolutely hate, and would just enjoy sitting back and watching their reactions - one of my friends used to become absolutely enraged if the Levellers (or lightning seeds) was put on

Edited by Mr.Tease

2 hours ago, Cooter said:

I might have dreamt this but didn't the singer annoy Lemmy once? That's a good enough reason for nobody to like him or his shit band!

Fest sounds good though.

I reckon that's fairly likely! 

It was good! All the beers were Bath Ales too! Had about 6 different ones ?

Damn it, baltie-pie knows the formula defining shite music. I never knew of this, I thought liking music was purely a personal, emotional response. 

Why did no-one tell me this before, it turns out most stuff I like may fall foul of this test.

My music tastes are clearly shocking

50 minutes ago, not worthy said:

Damn it, baltie-pie knows the formula defining shite music. I never knew of this, I thought liking music was purely a personal, emotional response. 

Why did no-one tell me this before, it turns out most stuff I like may fall foul of this test.

It's good that you recognise it. Personal growth and all that ;)

• Upvote 2

53 minutes ago, not worthy said:

I like Gloryhammer. I don’t feel like I have to justify my love for ridiculous cheesy metal to any joker online, and nor should you! You crack on, having dreadful taste in music is an admirable quality ??

4 hours ago, Mr.Tease said:

? All of my friends used to hate each others music- when we were teenagers, we'd take great delight in putting on an album we knew the other would absolutely hate, and just enjoying sitting back and watching their reactions - one of my friends used to become absolutely enraged if the Levellers (or lightning seeds) was put on

I've never warmed to The Levellers, but I will always love the first 30 seconds of Pure by the Lightning Seeds until my dying day.  To be clear, I quite like the rest of the song, but the intro is perfection to me.

2 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

I've never warmed to The Levellers, but I will always love the first 30 seconds of Pure by the Lightning Seeds until my dying day.  To be clear, I quite like the rest of the song, but the intro is perfection to me.

I would agree with this- I got lucky in 2010(?) when they played a pretty small stage at glastonbury (maybe Avalon?), and I happened to walk past just as they started Pure (despite having completely forgotten they were even playing)

I love the levellers ... it was one of my first really enjoyable  big gigs at Glastonbury/ West Holts  .... I remember standing on a bench watching them with a bottle of the brothers cider in my hand .... dont think they returned after that ... fingers crossed for the 50th ... how possible is it ?