Bring back Blur

Zoo Music Girl

Happy to be that obvious guy and go with Parklife as their best. Still holds up for me.

13 is very inconsistent for me. Bugman (hoover solos are never a good idea), Trailer Park (gash) and No Distance (maudlin and dreary) bring it down. 

Parklife

Modern Life

Blur

Great Escape

Think Tank

Magic Whip

Leisure

4 hours ago, Mardy said:

Blur/13 pretty much inseparable . Maybe Blur by a whisker

Other than that, yeah, Wooderson speaks truth, as always

Blur/13

Parklife 

Modern Life

Magic Whip

Great Escape

Leisure

And I concur with Hugh, Think Tank needs an asterisk, sits outside the canon for me

Disappointingly uncontroversial list.

I also agree Think Tank feels more like one of Damon's many other side projects than a Blur album, so doesn't really belong on the list.  Having said that, if it was on the list, it wouldn't be at the bottom.

3 hours ago, Wooderson said:

As a body of work in past 30 years, Albarn's is up there with anyone.

Parallel universe where Blur made space to accommodate all the Gorillaz and TGTBTQ material...

Wouldn't have been as good. I'm glad he had the room to rip up the Blur formula, as broad a church as that was.

2 hours ago, Wooderson said:

Parklife is a great record but has it's share of duff moments. "Magic America" is criminal.

For me, It's all tied in with seeing them at Newcastle Poly the week Parklife came out, and they were on absolute fire, urgent and hungry. I was with a really lovely girl I was seeing at the time, who nicked me a (bright orange) t-shirt from the march stall afterwards. Wore that for years. Can't really separate the album from that summer, that gig and then Glastonbury a couple of months later.

Not an album I ever revisit now, can't remember the last time I played it, but I'll always have a fondness for it, a Proustian rush of that intro for Girls & Boys kicking in and the whole room going fucking mental. 

• Upvote 1

Parklife is comfortably my favourite and the only one I ever really revisit.  It takes the things that Modern Life Is Rubbish does well and really runs with them.  It's greater than the sum of its parts and even the lesser songs are still evidence of a band firing on all creative cylinders and able to pull off whatever they turn their hand to (Syd Barrett pastiche, French movie soundtracks, schlager music, etc)

Parklife is like a big bag of sweets, but 13 is like a really fine wine. Terrible analogy, but the point is, as great at Parklife was at the time, it's 13 that still satisfies me now years later and gives me more from repeated listens.

Parklife reminds me of the joy of being 16 and on holiday, but there's nothing else to extract from those songs that I didn't get many, many years ago.

Edited by stuartbert two hats
  • Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Wooderson said:

13 is their best IMO. I've a soft spot for the Magic Whip. I reckon its better than a couple of their other titles.

Yeah, put Magic Whip one higher, above The Great Escape, and we're in the same boat. Magic Whip is a class album. So many good tunes, great vibe, pretty consistent. Good comeback album, that. 

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Wooderson said:

ha!

I've no experience of FF but think i get this one. "Pyongyang" is sublime.

New World Towers is the sort of music that plays on the title screens.

There Are Too Many Of Us is when you get to where the bad guy lives.

Pyongyang is brilliant.

Thought I Was A Spaceman stinks the place out. Remember it leaving a massive crater in their 2015 Hyde Park set.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Hugh Jass said:

New World Towers is the sort of music that plays on the title screens.

There Are Too Many Of Us is when you get to where the bad guy lives.

Pyongyang is brilliant.

Thought I Was A Spaceman stinks the place out. Remember it leaving a massive crater in their 2015 Hyde Park set.

Thats mad I really like Spaceman. Second half / Graham's bit is gorgeous - live especially.

Ong Ong on the other hand? Binjuice.

42 minutes ago, Quark said:

Tried to explain Mr Hoppy and Ivan to someone at work a while back. They looked at me like I had quote categorically lost my mind. 

Apparently it was more niche than I realised.

The world of today would dearly benefit from the dark and cynical eye of Monkey Dust.