Bring back Blur

Zoo Music Girl

Still, it doesn't reflect well on a band's appeal - on a new album - if fans' interest balances on who else is playing. But tbh it was likely more to do with them doing Hyde Park again, to an audience who've already had chance to see them there.

I guess they'll do better this time in leaving it the best part of a decade to come back. I hope they do some indoor shows next time out.

1 hour ago, Hugh Jass said:

I was at both those gigs and the 2009 Hyde Park show and I have to agree the 12 show was piss poor in terms of sound quality. If you listen back to the live recording you can hear people yelling “turn it up!” between songs.

A shame because their setlist that day was perfect.

Yes there was many turn it ups and we weren't even that far back. I admit we were closer to a speaker in 2015 but were further back. 09 I didn't attend and also wasn't at Glastonbury but a friend was at HP and enjoyed it. I think at the time I'd have seen The Prodigy on Other anyway as I wasn't bothered by Blur in 2009.

39 minutes ago, nikkic said:

I was also at all 3. 

The sound was so bad in 2012 we could barely hear Damon sing. 

The latter of the 3 shows was massively overpriced considering the poor undercard, but I also think the fact they’d done 4 shows in 6 years in Hyde Park contributed to it not selling out. 

3 times in 7 years, not 4 in 6. 09, 12 and 15.

Just now, Ddiamondd said:

For me it was the addition of the two 13 tracks – No Distance Left To Run and Caramel – that really pushed it that notch above 2009. Under The Westway was lovely too.

But...yeah. A shambles in many respects. Was a great day out but a poor gig on a technical front.

Caramel was marvliss wasnt it. A fave of mine.

Blur really should get to headline the pyramid again. I think by 2022 for example the amount of attendees who were there in 2009 would probably be quite slim.

If they have a new album it can be a totally different set to last time. I think it should happen. They are a heritage headliner for the festival now.

3 hours ago, thewayiam said:

Yes there was many turn it ups and we weren't even that far back. I admit we were closer to a speaker in 2015 but were further back. 09 I didn't attend and also wasn't at Glastonbury but a friend was at HP and enjoyed it. I think at the time I'd have seen The Prodigy on Other anyway as I wasn't bothered by Blur in 2009.

3 times in 7 years, not 4 in 6. 09, 12 and 15.

They played 2 gigs in 2009. 

So it’s 4 gigs in 6 years.

Both if us managed to be wrong and correct!

2 hours ago, Wooderson said:

Setlist at the Olympics show is 😳

Think it fell to the bottom of the pile organisation-wise. Wasnt a very succesful event.

I’ve been to many events in Hyde Park, this was by far the worst. 

Sound was shit, not enough bars and toilets and a nightmare getting in. 

5 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Blur really should get to headline the pyramid again. I think by 2022 for example the amount of attendees who were there in 2009 would probably be quite slim.

If they have a new album it can be a totally different set to last time. I think it should happen. They are a heritage headliner for the festival now.

I mean the set would be at least 80% the same, even with 1 more new album.

But I’m fully on board with them headlining again, mainly because I chose to be elsewhere in 2009. Not that I’m annoyed by that still.....

1 hour ago, Matt42 said:

And they would deserve it. Aside from Radiohead they're really the only genuinely huge British band from that era that a) have stood the test of time b) are still together (kinda, they don't despise each other at least).

If they're touring in 2022 they're the proverbial first name on the team sheet for me.

Edited by SwedgeAntilles

4 hours ago, Ddiamondd said:

For me it was the addition of the two 13 tracks – No Distance Left To Run and Caramel – that really pushed it that notch above 2009. Under The Westway was lovely too.

But...yeah. A shambles in many respects. Was a great day out but a poor gig on a technical front.

Sing pushed it into the stratosphere for me.

2 hours ago, Hugh Jass said:

In fact, looking back at that 2012 set:

Sing, Young and Lovely, Caramel, London Loves, Colin Zeal, Trimm Tabb...

It wasn’t one for the casual fan, and it was all the better for it.

Was sensational. Despite the amateur logistics I had a brilliant day.

I was quite close to the front so didn’t have many sound issues that day. We gave up on the bar as it was an utter shit show. 

However Blur, New Order and the specials for about £60 was a bargain and a half. Very different set to Glastonbury, not quite as emotive but the deeper cuts were great to see as you all have mentioned. No distance left to run is easily in my Blur top 5. 

6 hours ago, nikkic said:

I’ve been to many events in Hyde Park, this was by far the worst. 

Sound was shit, not enough bars and toilets and a nightmare getting in. 

I saw Robbie Williams there last year and it was actually really good. Went for the whole day of music (feeder, texas and keane were on too) and he does put on a good show - but we were really close to the "golden circle" barrier and the sound was excellent.  We were also close to a big toilet area and there were far more bars than were required. It was sold out too, so I think its improved.

Springsteen 2012 there though...I shudder every time I remember it. That's the reason I didnt even consider Blur 2015. 

4 hours ago, Hugh Jass said:

In fact, looking back at that 2012 set:

Sing, Young and Lovely, Caramel, London Loves, Colin Zeal, Trimm Tabb...

It wasn’t one for the casual fan, and it was all the better for it.

Was lucky enough to go to one of the Wolverhampton warm up gigs - the two times I've seen them were Glastonbury big outdoors, and that one small indoor. Would take any venue now!!

Edited by efcfanwirral

I’ve been lucky enough to see Blur loads - three times pre-break up, including their “Singles Night” tour which fell on the night of my 18th birthday. Then another four times since reuniting - every year they’ve done Hyde Park and Glastonbury.

I’ll never get sick of saying it, but that Glastonbury show was the greatest gig I’ve ever been at.

On 9/16/2020 at 5:06 PM, fatyeti24 said:

That's a romantic way of saying "That cheese business needs to offset its losses".

I loved what Josie Long said about Blur - "Do you know my favourite member of Blur? It's Graham. Do you know my 2nd favourite member of Blur? It's Dave. Do you know my 3rd favourite member of Blur? It's Damon. Do you know my 4th favourite member of Blur? I haven't got one!"

8 hours ago, nikkic said:

I mean the set would be at least 80% the same, even with 1 more new album.

But I’m fully on board with them headlining again, mainly because I chose to be elsewhere in 2009. Not that I’m annoyed by that still.....

Also missed them and saw The Prodigy.

I only think about it a few times a day...

(Always think it shows just how good that set looked, as it's not like The Prodigy are a bad act!)

Been thinking about this for a while and I reckon I’m ready to do a top ten Blur songs:

The Universal

Beetlebum

Strange News From Another Star

This is a Low

Pyongyang

Tender (just for GF09)

Girls & Boys

Sing

Trimm Trabb

Parklife

Was tempted to put Out Of Time in there (check out the live version with Graham jamming over the top) but decided to omit it as non-canonical.

4 hours ago, Hugh Jass said:

Been thinking about this for a while and I reckon I’m ready to do a top ten Blur songs:

The Universal

Beetlebum

Strange News From Another Star

This is a Low

Pyongyang

Tender (just for GF09)

Girls & Boys

Sing

Trimm Trabb

Parklife

Was tempted to put Out Of Time in there (check out the live version with Graham jamming over the top) but decided to omit it as non-canonical.

Trimm Trabb is number one by a mile! I'm not having Parklife - fake mockney shite!  Substitute Popscene for that & that's a pretty good top 10! 

25 minutes ago, Punksnotdead said:

Trimm Trabb is number one by a mile! I'm not having Parklife - fake mockney shite!  Substitute Popscene for that & that's a pretty good top 10! 

If you look at my list it’s mostly their slower, heavier stuff that I prefer.

I picked Parklife, and to a lesser extent Girls & Boys, purely and simply because it is fun. Have they made better, worthier songs? For sure, but nothing beats bouncing around a field like a drunken lunatic bellowing “Aaaaaallllll the people....!!!”

3 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

If you look at my list it’s mostly their slower, heavier stuff that I prefer.

I picked Parklife, and to a lesser extent Girls & Boys, purely and simply because it is fun. Have they made better, worthier songs? For sure, but nothing beats bouncing around a field like a drunken lunatic bellowing “Aaaaaallllll the people....!!!”

You can definitely bounce (or pogo, as I prefer) to popscene. Or Song 2 - either of which are infinitely preferable to Parklife!

3 minutes ago, Punksnotdead said:

You can definitely bounce (or pogo, as I prefer) to popscene. Or Song 2 - either of which are infinitely preferable to Parklife!

Song 2 kind of bores me a little these days, it’s a song that’s been overplayed to death.

Popscene is great but it doesn’t get a crowd going like Parklife does.