Bring back Blur

Zoo Music Girl

4 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Did you not see this one?

I’ve seen them before but not in 2009 I’m afraid :) 

This is the thing. The Glasto attendees of 2009 are probably very different to 2020+ 

If Damon is worried people will compare it to 2009, it’s probably unfounded. I think they would be performing to a whole new audience.

7 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

I’ve seen them before but not in 2009 I’m afraid :) 

This is the thing. The Glasto attendees of 2009 are probably very different to 2020+ 

If Damon is worried people will compare it to 2009, it’s probably unfounded. I think they would be performing to a whole new audience.

Oh 100%. But then I started this thread and thus the Efests campaign for them to return ;) So I would say that.

6 minutes ago, august1 said:

I was wondering that last night. The politics of 2009 seem nothing compared to 2020!

Yeah really got me thinking. Would love to know. There hadn't been an election.

On a similar note it was mad watching Jay Z doing all the anti Bush stuff, totally justified of course, but just so sad to think it could get worse than Bush by such a long way.

Edited by Zoo Music Girl

4 hours ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Oh 100%. But then I started this thread and thus the Efests campaign for them to return ;) So I would say that.

Yeah really got me thinking. Would love to know. There hadn't been an election.

On a similar note it was mad watching Jay Z doing all the anti Bush stuff, totally justified of course, but just so sad to think it could get worse than Bush by such a long way.

I thought exactly the same thing earlier whilst watching the Jay-Z set, sort of like, wait til you see what happens over the next twelve years...

On that note, what an amazing set. Clearly remember watching it on TV at the time and thinking "I need to be there next year".

The Wonderwall opening is brilliant, but I think he really gets the crowd in the palm of his hand when they hear the Prodigy and Amy Winehouse samples. Quick fire bangers. 

5 hours ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

What's Damon on about near the beginning when he talks about wanting to keep things positive in relation to "something else as well"? Any idea?

I assumed he was referring to Michael Jackson's death

On 6/27/2020 at 11:33 PM, Badlands said:

Thoughts on the full 2009 TV set for those who were there? Absolutely stunning. What a night. 

Best live performance by any band I've ever since, apart from The Stone Roses at Heaton Park. I'm glad the full set is finally available.

Just watched the bits that weren't broadcast originally (and therefore I haven't watched dozens of times in the last 11 years) and the bit where he breaks down and sobs his way through To the End and This is a Low was just as emotional as I remember it. Same for the Tender singslongs during the encore breaks. Just loads of little bits I'd forgotten. Amazing that we have the full thing now 

Edited by efcfanwirral
  • Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

Found myself with a spare hour this morning and decided to put on a record on that I hadn’t heard for ages. Flicked through my vinyl and came to The Great Escape.

I had forgotten how good this album is! Fade Away, TopMan, Entertain Me, Though of Cars, Could Be You... all belters.

Weirdly the weakest songs are easily the singles (except for The Universal obviously), which is why I think it gets a bit a of a bum rep.

57 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Found myself with a spare hour this morning and decided to put on a record on that I hadn’t heard for ages. Flicked through my vinyl and came to The Great Escape.

I had forgotten how good this album is! Fade Away, TopMan, Entertain Me, Though of Cars, Could Be You... all belters.

Weirdly the weakest songs are easily the singles (except for The Universal obviously), which is why I think it gets a bit a of a bum rep.

Steve Lamaq played it in full the other day. I had the opposite reaction  in thinking it was pretty bad! Definitely their worst album.

21 minutes ago, SwedgeAntilles said:

Not related to the Great Escape, but remember when they low-key dropped the best thing they've ever done

I love that Coxon insisted they play this on the reunion tour and just added some fine yet restrained guitar work over it. He’s not on the recording.

As for TGE, it was one of my first albums so I have a nostalgic love for it. It’s definitely too long and a bit overblown but I always thought Best Days was up there with the best slower Blur songs.

1 hour ago, Ryan1984 said:

I love that Coxon insisted they play this on the reunion tour and just added some fine yet restrained guitar work over it. He’s not on the recording.

As for TGE, it was one of my first albums so I have a nostalgic love for it. It’s definitely too long and a bit overblown but I always thought Best Days was up there with the best slower Blur songs.

I was just about to shout out best days too (though blue jeans is still the winner of that category).

21 hours ago, Hugh Jass said:

I always preferred the later, moodier stuff (Blur and 13) to the Britpop stuff and I can see a mix of the two in GE.

One of blur said their sound is Alex trying to make sexy noises on his bass at one extreme  and Graham trying to make loads of screeching noise at the other.

I smell a ranking coming...

Blur/13 (can’t separate them)

Modern Life Is Rubbish

Parklife

Great Escape

Magic Whip

Leisure

Think Tank**

** It’s not actually that I believe Think Tank to be a bad album, it just doesn’t feel like a Blur album without Coxon. Blur are one of those acts where all four members are absolutely essential and taking any of them out just isn’t the same.

On 8/30/2020 at 11:02 AM, Hugh Jass said:

I smell a ranking coming...

Blur/13 (can’t separate them)

Modern Life Is Rubbish

Parklife

Great Escape

Magic Whip

Leisure

Think Tank**

** It’s not actually that I believe Think Tank to be a bad album, it just doesn’t feel like a Blur album without Coxon. Blur are one of those acts where all four members are absolutely essential and taking any of them out just isn’t the same.

13 is their best IMO. I've a soft spot for the Magic Whip. I reckon its better than a couple of their other titles.

Blur/13 pretty much inseparable . Maybe Blur by a whisker

Other than that, yeah, Wooderson speaks truth, as always

Blur/13

Parklife 

Modern Life

Magic Whip

Great Escape

Leisure

And I concur with Hugh, Think Tank needs an asterisk, sits outside the canon for me