Bring back Blur

Zoo Music Girl

On 8/4/2019 at 4:53 PM, Matt42 said:

Gonna throw my hat in the ring say Blur reforming will happen and will happen soon. 

Gorillaz don’t have as much stock as they used to - their past few albums have received a modest but not major reception. Gorillaz aren’t exactly playing massive gigs anymore either. 

It does seem ripe for them to return as well. All of Damon’s other projects have been exhausted and he doesn’t like to sit still.

I’m still quite surprised that Gorillaz return didn’t smash as hard as I thought it would.

To add context to the discussion, any perception that Gorillaz aren't a "big" act anymore is inaccurate.  They are actually one of the biggest live acts in the world.  They played arenas all over the world in 2017 and then headlined festivals all over the world in 2018.  And just to make sure, they then played even more arenas in North America in 2018, and held their own festival in LA.  They haven't had a radio hit since 2005 but as live act they are huge.  Whoever is representing them as a live act is doing an amazing job.  And to be fair to Gorillaz there aren't that many other touring bands in 2019 that have the same catalogue or broad appeal.  Rightly or wrongly, the UK is probably the only country where Blur are more popular than Gorillaz.

Personally I'm a huge Blur fan but I'd be of the opinion that their time for headlining the Pyramid has been and gone. I saw TGTBATQ (The Good The Bad and the Queen in case anyone is searching for thoughts on them!) at Glastonbury on the Sunday but I'll be honest and on sober reflection say I didn't think it was great.  There's a fair gap in quality between album one and album two - and they played mostly album two.  I expect things like "gun to the head" sound like a bit of a mess to a casual listener.  Bringing out a huge male choir for just part of one song was fairly preposterous.  Etc.

Edited by Johndenis

14 minutes ago, Johndenis said:

To add context to the discussion, any perception that Gorillaz aren't a "big" act anymore is inaccurate.  They are actually one of the biggest live acts in the world.  They played arenas all over the world in 2017 and then headlined festivals all over the world in 2018.  And just to make sure, they then played even more arenas in North America in 2018, and held their own festival in LA.  They haven't had a radio hit since 2005 but as live act they are huge.  Whoever is representing them as a live act is doing an amazing job.  And to be fair to Gorillaz there aren't that many other touring bands in 2019 that have the same catalogue or broad appeal.  Rightly or wrongly, the UK is probably the only country where Blur are more popular than Gorillaz.

Personally I'm a huge Blur fan but I'd be of the opinion that their time for headlining the Pyramid has been and gone. I saw TGTBATQ (The Good The Bad and the Queen in case anyone is searching for thoughts on them!) at Glastonbury on the Sunday but I'll be honest and on sober reflection say I didn't think it was great.  There's a fair gap in quality between album one and album two - and they played mostly album two.  I expect things like "gun to the head" sound like a bit of a mess to a casual listener.  Bringing out a huge male choir for just part of one song was fairly preposterous.  Etc.

I think that'll be Damon Albarn.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Johndenis said:

I saw TGTBATQ (The Good The Bad and the Queen in case anyone is searching for thoughts on them!) at Glastonbury on the Sunday but I'll be honest and on sober reflection say I didn't think it was great.  There's a fair gap in quality between album one and album two - and they played mostly album two.  I expect things like "gun to the head" sound like a bit of a mess to a casual listener.  Bringing out a huge male choir for just part of one song was fairly preposterous.  Etc.

I loved it. But then I prefer their 2nd album to the 1st one.

• 2 weeks later...

Just seen it mentioned elsewhere on the web that Damon's next project is a classical show inspired by Iceland (yes that Iceland) called 'The Nearer the Fountain, the More Pure the Stream' which has shows already announced around Europe late May-early June next year. Doesn't rule out a Blur return but it means that Damon's not sitting around twiddling his thumbs next year.

On 8/3/2019 at 1:59 PM, stuartbert two hats said:

I decided not to see them in 2009 because I didn't think they could top 1998.

I’ve watched the Glastonbury 1998 set on YouTube a few times...great set! 

I saw Blur at Reading 1999 & Reading 2003.

2009 I opted for The Prodigy (my all time fav group) and wish I’d been at the Blur set too but don’t regret it so much as I had seen them twice before.

Would love to see them do the 50th next year..field would be packed, and plenty of singalong anthems for the casual fan.

• 8 months later...
10 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Annoyingly all this has probably pushed the next Blur reunion back another year...

Think we are more likely to get Gorillaz back based on the output Damon has been focused on there. Certainly due another one with a collective of the Song Machine releases landing every month. I also wouldn't be shocked to see another solo album to follow Everyday Robots in the next year or two either. 

Also - RIP Tony Allen, that probably means TGTB&TQ set was the last time we'll see that project again, I enjoyed the Glasto set as well. 

56 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Annoyingly all this has probably pushed the next Blur reunion back another year...

Aye. Particularly as, having never seen them live, they are probably one of the few acts the festival could replace Macca with that would adequately dull the pain. 

I mean, just a quick look back through the last decade throws up:

2010 - Plastic Beach (Gorillaz):

Stylo, On Melancholy Hill, White Flag

2013 - Everyday Robots (solo):

Hostiles, Lonely Press Play, Heavy Seas of Love

2015 - Magic Whip (Blur):

Go Out, My Terracotta Heart, Pyongyang, Ong Ong

2017 - Humanz (Gorillaz):

Sleeping Powder (not on the album), Saturn Barz

There are also a couple of Gorillaz albums I haven’t listened to yet but chances are have a few decent tunes on...

• Upvote 1