Bring back Blur

Zoo Music Girl

I loved it, and regularly watch bits back on YouTube. It rounded off my favourite ever Glastonbury (out of ten)...

But unless they can vary the set list and improve on it from that year I don't see why they would bother...

So! Aside from fucking off Trimm Trabb, how do you fix perfection?

Blur, 28/6/09, Glastonbury:

She's So High
Girls & Boys
Tracy Jacks
There's No Other Way
Jubilee
Badhead
Beetlebum
Out of Time
Trimm Trabb
Coffee & TV
Tender
Country House
Oily Water
Chemical World
Sunday Sunday
Parklife
(with Phil Daniels)
End of a Century
To the End
This Is a Low

Encore:
Popscene
Song 2
Encore 2:
For Tomorrow
The Universal

37 minutes ago, ogriff said:

I loved it, and regularly watch bits back on YouTube. It rounded off my favourite ever Glastonbury (out of ten)...

But unless they can vary the set list and improve on it from that year I don't see why they would bother...

So! Aside from fucking off Trimm Trabb, how do you fix perfection?

Blur, 28/6/09, Glastonbury:

She's So High
Girls & Boys
Tracy Jacks
There's No Other Way
Jubilee
Badhead
Beetlebum
Out of Time
Trimm Trabb
Coffee & TV
Tender
Country House
Oily Water
Chemical World
Sunday Sunday
Parklife
(with Phil Daniels)
End of a Century
To the End
This Is a Low

Encore:
Popscene
Song 2
Encore 2:
For Tomorrow
The Universal

Take out Trimm Trabb and stick in Under the Westway as something a bit newer. Done.

The problem with having so many hits and only touring once in a while is that it pushes out some of the less immediately accessible, but ultimately satisfying songs.

This Is A Low is the only* one of their more epic, reflective songs that always gets an outing. I want the likes of Essex Dogs, Battle, 1992 and Sing. Along with some of the sweeter, more low-key tunes like Sweet Song and No Distance Left To Run. And Death Of a Party and He Thought of Cars too, although I'm not sure they fit my categorisations above - all I know is that most of them won't feature on the set list of a rarely active band with loads of crowd pleasing hits.

I'm really not arsed about hearing Parklife or Boys and Girls - I don't think they work very well live. There's a studio crispness to lots of the songs on Parklife that doesn't really translate to the live band, especially with Damon's more expressive voice.

* I'll give you that Tender and Beetlebum are probably similarly epic and reflective.

God, Essex Dogs. That song blew my mind at the tender age of 14. Had never heard anything quite like it. And growing up in Essex and still suffocating in the suburbs the lyrics just resonated so much: "I remember the sunset and the plains of cement And the way the nights seems to turn the color of orangeade."  Have they ever played it live?!

Would love to see No Distance Left to Run and Sing should be a staple.

They need to bin off Country House and most of The Great Escape. That album does not age well. It's their equivalent to If You Tolerate... except that they released good stuff after it.

7 hours ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

God, Essex Dogs. That song blew my mind at the tender age of 14. Had never heard anything quite like it. And growing up in Essex and still suffocating in the suburbs the lyrics just resonated so much: "I remember the sunset and the plains of cement And the way the nights seems to turn the color of orangeade."  Have they ever played it live?!

Yep, at Glastonbury in 1998.

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/blur/1998/worthy-farm-pilton-england-3d34133.html

Edited by stuartbert two hats

I’d happily watch a set of rarities and album tracks - Strange News From Another Star, Moving On, Young & Lovely, Magic America,,TOPMAN, Pyongyang, Sing, On Your Own, Star Shaped, Bugman, Battle....

Would never happen in a million years, but a guy can dream.

(I know a few of those were singles and/or have been played recently, but I don’t care)

Gonna throw my hat in the ring say Blur reforming will happen and will happen soon. 

Gorillaz don’t have as much stock as they used to - their past few albums have received a modest but not major reception. Gorillaz aren’t exactly playing massive gigs anymore either. 

It does seem ripe for them to return as well. All of Damon’s other projects have been exhausted and he doesn’t like to sit still.

I’m still quite surprised that Gorillaz return didn’t smash as hard as I thought it would.

When it was mentioned in 2017 that (IIRC) two acts had already been booked for 2020, I assumed that they were probably friends of the festival and that one of them was probably Blur. I hope so - only ever saw them twice, in 1992 and 1999 at the chronological singles gig at Wembley. The 2009 headline set is probably the one Glasto moment I wished I was at the most.