Leonard Cohen 2008

The Other Steve

Just having a Glastonbury YouTube wine evening and reminiscing and came across a dodgy clip of Leonard Cohen from 2008 singing Hallelujah which is still one of, if not the best moments for me ever at Glastonbury.

But does anyone know why it wasn't filmed by the BBC or was it filmed and just not allowed to be aired?  Such a shame as was a classic performance.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, lazzareo said:

But does anyone know why it wasn't filmed by the BBC or was it filmed and just not allowed to be aired?

every act makes an individual arrangement with the beeb. They don't have to agree to be filmed at all.

So i'm guessing it's something the beeb aren't allowed to show because that's how Cohen wanted it.

His manager had absconded with his lifetime savings while he was living in a Buddhist retreat. So when he came out of that life he needed to go out on tour to replenish his retirement pot. That tour was filmed and a DVD made. The DVD was coming out around 2008 and he didn't want the sales affected by the fact the Glastonbury performance was out there. That is what I understood at the time from his fan forum.

51 minutes ago, Paul_w said:

I’m sure i remember at the time reading that he refused to be filmed/broadcast. Unsure as to why 

There was a DVD of one of his London shows recorded in 2008 and released in 2009, he needed money badly after his manager ripped him off big time. I doubt that he would have wanted a free recording to be televised in case sales were affected by it. What a magical set! 

9 minutes ago, Superscally said:

Can someone clear this up for me? At U2, me and my pal SWEAR they played ultraviolet light, but the truncated live set on YouTube didn't have it and it's not on setlist.com, but that was of the truncated set. Anyone remember it? 

They didn't play it.

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/u2/2011/worthy-farm-pilton-england-33d30029.html