Chances of getting tickets for 2020 - A Collective Assessment by Individual Experience

Lycra

I've managed to go every time I have wanted to / could go but then there are normally about 30 or 40 of us with all of our details on a big spreadsheet trying at the same time. I have managed to get to the page to buy a couple of times but it is normally others that manage to get through and get them for me.

The next one will be a nightmare as there does seem to be a lot of interest in it by people we know who have never been before.

It seems clear to me the fairest way to hand out tickets is to give them to people who want to go the most. This of course will be determined by:

• People with a decent collection of previous years' wristbands.
  • Special priority to anyone still wearing these wristbands
  • Anyone with a Glastonbury themed tattoo
  • Anyone married, conceived or born at the festival
  • People with long and distinguished posting histories on eFests (ie must be here for a good couple of years and have a solid rep)
  • Finally, for the rest, an online, timed quiz on the festival.

2014 - someone got mine in the general sale

2015 - got my own in the general resale. rest of my group bailed after main sale

2016 - got my group of 6 tickets in the coach sale

2017 - friend got my group of 6 tickets in the coach sale

2019 - got mine and my girlfriend's tickets in the coach resale. the rest of my group missed out

26 minutes ago, maelzoid said:

It seems clear to me the fairest way to hand out tickets is to give them to people who want to go the most. This of course will be determined by:

• People with long and distinguished posting histories on eFests (ie must be here for a good couple of years and have a solid rep)

**Checks reputation**

Yes! This sounds perfectly fair and reasonable to me.

32 minutes ago, maelzoid said:

I think they should use efestivals to work out who should go, maybe setting the criteria at posters with at least 3,862 posts (what on earth have I posted about over the years?!), and maybe 728 likes

Not sure where my thoughts lie on this currently.

I'd had it settled in my mind that I'd like to work the festival next time around just to sample the other side of it so to speak.

My Wife is expecting and due in January so i'm now thinking of getting a normal ticket again.

Issue I have is how long i'm allowed to spend at the festival...! We are lucky to live close enough that I can travel back and forth with relative ease so currently in the negotiation phase.

I've put on the table... 

Go to festival Weds (bearing in mind i'm usually a Tues - Mon person)

Go home Thursday lunchtime

Come back down Fri morning and then stay until after the headliner finishes on Sunday.

My Wife currently doesn't see it from my point of view...

As a person once said.... "THERE IS NO PATTERN"

2014 - Resale, thought we'd give it a shot, not expecting anything - straight through no probs

2015 - General Sale - straight in on first attempt, no stress - done in 5 mins

2016 - General Sale - horrible, but managed - I was in Kings Cross station in london on my mobile and the my other half and mates were all trying - must have got in the last 30 secs before sell out 

2017 - General sale, group of us trying - took about 15 mins, but I managed to get through in the end

2019 - General sale, again a group of us trying - I work in IT and wangled the use of 10 computers, each one with a dedicated static public IP address (that might mean something to some of us - essentially super charging the chances!) I got absolutely nowhere!!! My mate sitting with his one PC at home got through in the last few mins!

2020 - I shall be roping in every family friend and their pets to assist in the acquisition of the golden tickets - Charlie and the chocolate factory gonna have nothing on the efforts I will be going to!!!!

tried for the last 3, didn't get anywhere near the booking screen - thankfully one of the group managed to get through this year! and now I know the full extent of the fun to be had I will be severely disappointed if I don't get in this year! (probably to the extent ill go and buy a few twix and head down anyway if I have to)

Quick confirmation, if you will, as I've not encountered this scenario but it's totally possible with our group.

Say you have a group of 8 people with each trying for the max amount of tickets possible.

Person 1 is trying for A, B, C, D, E, F

Person 2 is trying for D, E, F, G, H, I

Person 1 gets through and reserves all 6.

Person 2 then gets through and tries to purchase their 6

Person 2 gets a message saying some already have tickets (D, E, F).

Does the purchase then:

1. go on from there for the remaining 3 people (not bad)
  2. allow entering of more registrations to try before continuing (a little better)
  3. drop back to the f5 queue (clearly the worst)

2 minutes ago, pahqman said:

Quick confirmation, if you will, as I've not encountered this scenario but it's totally possible with our group.

Say you have a group of 8 people with each trying for the max amount of tickets possible.

Does the purchase then:

2. allow entering of more registrations to try before continuing (a little better)

It'll tell you after you enter the registrations that tickets have already been purchased for those three and ask you to remove them, which wastes valuable seconds.

1 minute ago, pahqman said:

Does the purchase then:

the best option is to have 2 groups ... a 2 and a 6 .... otherwise it is over complicating things ... once the 6 get in they all try for the 2 ... or if the 2 get in they try for the 6 

1 minute ago, pahqman said:

Does the purchase then:

It pops up an error message saying that registration numbers X, Y, Z already have a ticket purchased for them.  You then have the option to either delete the offending numbers and proceed with the others, or delete them and enter difference numbers if you;re trying for more.

It won't kick you back to the start, but the problem is that in the high-pressure of T-Day that delay can be costly, as you've still got to get through payment before they all go.

I've known cases where this has happened, and in the time it's taken to either (a) check that the info is correct and said people have their tickets or (b) just to delete them and proceed without checking, tickets have sold out and everyone loses.

Ultimately anything that causes a delay increases the risk of missing out. 

Spoke to my sister recently. She's never been to a festival (except Glastonbury in 1995 when we smuggled her in, she lasted one night then fled in horror) but she says that she's going next year with the family and has already registered.She's actually put a returnable deposit on a posh motorhome for the duration. She was also amazed that many of her friends who have also never been before are hoping to go. 

I'm afraid that if even people like my sister and her 'normal' friends are trying for tickets next year it could make things a bit harder.

Edited by Sawdusty Surfer

It’s important to remember that at this time every year lots of people are talking about going next year. The weather outside is good and the memories of this year’s fest are still fresh for those who watched it on telly.

When push comes to shove we’ll see how many of them are actually there at 9am that Sunday morning.

1 hour ago, crazyfool1 said:

the best option is to have 2 groups ... a 2 and a 6 .... otherwise it is over complicating things ... once the 6 get in they all try for the 2 ... or if the 2 get in they try for the 6 

This (distribution of tickets to buy among potential buyers) falls apart when people (not unreasonably) think better to fill their 6 slots with them and their favourite 5 people.

Therefore the groups change and shift as tickets are bought (awkward! "Why did you skip a row" etc :) )

Edited by UEF

I've tried 6 times (all successful) and usually there is 4 of us trying:

• 2008 - no issues as didn't sell out until few days before
  • 2013 - got through on main sale but only after a server hack which did the rounds on Twitter which forced me getting through on an unused server (I think) because SeeTickets messed up  - my mates got nowhere
  • 2014 - didn't try on main sale, failed on resale but got through on secret sales - my mates got nowhere
  • 2015 - got nowhere on main sale but got through on resale - my mates got nowhere
  • 2017 - I got through on main sale - my mates got nowhere
  • 2019 - I got through on main sale - my mates got nowhere
Edited by lazzareo

On 7/31/2019 at 8:30 AM, Hugh Jass said:

I’ve been 13 times, so have been pretty lucky in recent years - either me or one of my mates have managed to get through, sometimes straight away, sometimes at the very last minute.

Fully accept that my luck will run out sooner or later.

Thats 12 going by your sig. Same as me, skipped 08. 

First year I had VIPS but the demand didn't really start until 2009. Since then I've got tickets 2 seconds before the end of the secret resale, tickets on Sunday morning, coach tickets and a couple of years in a row where I didn't even get on to the website and others got tickets for me.

Will miss out at some stage I'm sure. Its pot luck.

I’ve tried 4 times but I only managed to get through once myself in those 4 attempts, though by the time I did someone else in my group had already got our tickets. 

I’ve tried looking for some sort of pattern but really, there isn’t one. The fear for T-day this year really is starting to kick in already!

I'm 6 tickets from 7 attempts. Though only bought myself twice:

2008: In myself on the main sale

2009: In myself on the main sale

2010: Someone else got them in the main sale.

2011: Someone else got them in the main sale

2013: Someone else got them in the main sale

2015: Someone else got them in the main sale

2019: Fail. 2 groups of 6. First group got them, my group didn't. Someone (not me) got as far a payment screen and kicked out and didn't get back in. I got nowhere near. :( 

2 hours ago, pahqman said:

Does the purchase then:

A friend caused us all to not get tickets in the main sale couple of years back by secretly being in another group who were successful. 

By the time we'd tried again, realised and removed him it was too late and tickets sold out*

*of course that may have happened anyway, but we'll never know.

15 minutes ago, lazzareo said:

2013 - got through on main sale but only after a server hack which did the rounds on Twitter which forced me getting through on an unused server (I think) because SeeTickets messed up  - my mates got nowhere

I'd forgotten about that. That's how my friend got all ours!