Chances of getting tickets for 2020 - A Collective Assessment by Individual Experience

Lycra

1 minute ago, BluePaul said:

Problem with a ballot is that most people don't go on their own but as part of a larger group, of family or of friends.  The current method (allowing booking of up to six people) pretty much guarantees couples and small groups, at least, will get to go together.  In a ballot it's everyone for themselves.  What happens if I get lucky but Mrs BP doesn't?  Or even worse, if she gets lucky and I don't?

absolutely and im sure Emily would already have had this feedback ... lets hope it was just a thought in her head at the time and was quickly dismissed .... ok there is some negativity towards the current system on social media as there is always but bring in any kind of ballot it will be multiplied 10x !!

I'm 8 from 8 but only actually got my own ticket twice, 2010 resale and 2014 coach (got through on 3rd press of F5. Unbelievable).

I've also managed to get someone else's which is almost as good a feeling as getting your own. 

Very nervous about this ticket day.

I’ve managed to snag a ticket for every festival since 2014 (decided not to go in 2016, mind you), but haven’t been successful for myself since 2015. I have been successful for others, however. It feels so good to be able to give back when somebody else’s efforts secured your own ticket. 

Mildly terrified about this year, though. It will surely be the most difficult one yet, by many margins. I’m working in a group which is the best chance anybody has, really. The odds are bleak but the passion is there. Gulp. 

I’ve tried for tickets 8 times: I’ve got thru six, someone else sorted me once, and I struck out entirely once (this year, which I ended up stewarding). There’s typically about 12-15 people trying for tickets: we organise it properly with shared info, groups, all that jazz - though I have mild doubts over everyone’s competence, to be honest with you ??  next year I’d have a place thru Oxfam, and I’m thinking about not even bothering with the sale and just sticking with the volunteering. Even considering the 24hrs of actual work, it’s a cushy little number. 

Is there any benefit to starting F5ing before 9am? I just cannot imagine the elation of getting through within the first minute or 2. It’s always been fairly last gasp for me and my friends.

Having felt the fear of missing out originally this year I will definitely be trying coach sale for 2020. Rather be there slightly later than normal than not at all!

1 minute ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

Threads like this just give me the fear. So many folk have asked me about tickets and how to get them it’s scary. I blame the good weather this year and the bbc coverage! 

im hoping all these people won't be as persistent as us .. they will look at the website see they cant get anywhere and just give up or just watch the page refresh without the f5 ... there's hope :) 

• Upvote 1

1) have a big group

2) everyone in the group needs to be fucking trying, not staying in bed or refreshing once every 15 mins

If you achieve this then your chances go up a fair way, but everyone needs to be playing ball

17 minutes ago, DareToDibble said:

Is there any benefit to starting F5ing before 9am? I just cannot imagine the elation of getting through within the first minute or 2. It’s always been fairly last gasp for me and my friends.

Having felt the fear of missing out originally this year I will definitely be trying coach sale for 2020. Rather be there slightly later than normal than not at all!

Every year there seem to be a few people who reckon they get in at 8:50 but I'm not sure how verifiable they are.

The very best time is the magic point at/around 09:00 where in theory the maximum number of slots are available, but then the number of people trying probably kills that off

1 hour ago, UEF said:

Every year there seem to be a few people who reckon they get in at 8:50 but I'm not sure how verifiable they are.

The very best time is the magic point at/around 09:00 where in theory the maximum number of slots are available, but then the number of people trying probably kills that off

I must admit I haven’t seen many claiming they’ve gotten in early in the last few years but as you say, who’s to know if they’re telling the truth anyway?

I’ve never really thought about it but you’re right - 9am has ALL available slots open so I guess you stand a better chance then. It’s all about being the lucky one that presses F5 a split second after someone at See presses “go” on the sale!

7 hours ago, HeyPorter said:

Have people in work tell me they’re gonna try for tickets this year and then come out with stuff that makes me realise they know nothing of the process with it, can’t be bothered with even doing the slightest bit of research which makes my blood boil. 

Same...

”I’m definitely going next year”

Me 3 weeks later “did you register yet?”

”What do you mean?”

”Nevermind”

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, John the Moth said:

Same...

”What do you mean?”

”Nevermind”

Remind them the day registrations close, that way they won’t do it but at least you look like you were being helpful. 

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, John the Moth said:

Same...

”What do you mean?”

”Nevermind”

I’ve had:

”I’m entering the ballot for tickets this year”

and

”taking me van and chucking a mattress in the back when we go”

Edited by HeyPorter

I'm woeful at buying tickets. Since 2014 I've tried in 13 different sales and bought a grand total of 0 tickets. Weak.

Although I have at least got past the white screen of death now, which is a bonus. 

Fortunately, I seem to have lucky friends. 2015 was the only year we didn't get tickets, and we didn't try in the coach sales or the resales. Obviously you need luck as well as commitment, but the latter certainly helps. 

11 hours ago, balti-pie said:

next year I’d have a place thru Oxfam, and I’m thinking about not even bothering with the sale and just sticking with the volunteering. Even considering the 24hrs of actual work, it’s a cushy little number. 

Yep. It's not for everyone (including a few on here) but if it is for you, then it's the way to go. 10 and counting for me, with no intention of  ever trying for a ticket. It looks like way more hard work than stewarding

10 hours ago, UEF said:

In theory that would also mean a dead zone for a couple of minutes straight after 9 while everyone who has gotten on straight away enters their details.

First tried in the coach and general resales of 2014 - failed

2015 - got tickets for me and 2 friends in initial coach sale, didn't need to try for any more

2016 - didn't try

2017 - didn't try in first sales, failed in coach resale, success for me and a friend in general resale

2019 - Failed in coach sale, success for 6 tickets in general sale, failed to get 2 more tickets in both resales

I mostly have lucky fingers compared to my friends as I always seem to get them for everyone when i try.

It's not 'hard' really as there isn't much you can control with it. You get through or you don't... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

2 hours ago, John the Moth said:

Same...

”What do you mean?”

”Nevermind”

Or:

Me: "I'm going to Glastonbury festival"

Friend: "Aww, jealous!"

Me: "I offered to register you, I had a slot in my top 6 that you turned down, one of you even had a ticket and decided not to go"

Friend: "Jealous, wish I was going!"

2008 - 2016 I got tickets in October for me and my group (2-3 people usually). Never had anyone else get tickets for me, it was always me that got through.

2017 - missed out in October, but by now was part of a bigger ticket buying collective, and someone managed to get me a ticket in the April resale.

2019 - missed out in October and resale. Managed to get a place with Oxfam a month or so before the festival.

I definitely on a downward trend, not confident at all for this October.