Kylie Crowd Size

rosieangel

Because of the weather,  I think that there seemed to be more people sitting on blankets the vast expanse between the back of the field and front during the day and especially in the period leading up to Kylie,  resulting in a less dense crowd in the middle.  This meant a greater density around the edges and the overall crowd covering a larger area than usual for the given volume of people.  Once she started and people did stand up ,  they didn't condense much as they had so many blankets,  chairs,  bags etc by their feet and didn't want to move from where they were.  Giving the impression that the crowd was bigger than it actually was. 

Saying that though. .... The crowd was still absolutely huge!

8 hours ago, Gregfc15 said:

I had to race around from BBC introducing and the pathway in front of Hawkswell and Rowmead was down to Single file movement 15 minutes before the start as the crowd had overflowed onto the paths. Not sure how unusual that is for the main acts, but I certainly had no trouble going the same route from John Peel when the Cure was on.

It was super dense right at the back around the Ice Cream trucks as well. Took a good 20 minutes to move about 30 metres in where my friends were

at least you made it to us .

the crowd was the biggest of the festival I would say

I was there for Lionel and it felt the same , missed Dolly unfortunately  

This was our view. You can see gaps between 'rows' of people. Generally these were camp chairs people just stood up out of. The one space at the lower right of the photo was because there was a tiny baby lying on the floor.

One benefit of the chairs is you can stand right against the chairs in a way you can't with humans, and then no one can try and squeeze into a non existant gap.

1942663183_2019-07-0102_23_291.jpg.94666

17 hours ago, vintagelaureate said:

For what it's worth: this is the view from where I was!

IMG_20190630_144057082_HDR.jpg

I was about 20 metres to the right of you probably and possibly a little further in. Went toilet after David A then thought she's on at 4:45 before thinking nope 3:45 so gave up probably a fair bit of space. That being said I can't see there being much difference in position between David and her crowd wise.

4 hours ago, Windupradio said:

Because of the weather,  I think that there seemed to be more people sitting on blankets the vast expanse between the back of the field and front during the day and especially in the period leading up to Kylie,  resulting in a less dense crowd in the middle.  This meant a greater density around the edges and the overall crowd covering a larger area than usual for the given volume of people.  Once she started and people did stand up ,  they didn't condense much as they had so many blankets,  chairs,  bags etc by their feet and didn't want to move from where they were.  Giving the impression that the crowd was bigger than it actually was. 

Saying that though. .... The crowd was still absolutely huge!

I was about three-quarters back, and there was absolutely no one sitting on a blanket near to me - there just wasn't room.

6 hours ago, Havors said:

Biggest ive seen by far... when people are literally standing IN the longdrops to get a view of the stage its a fucking massive crowd! 

Longdrops at the back left (as you're looking at the stage) by any chance? I saw this and it really tickled me. Dedication to the locomotion, that!

I was stood just in off the path and the place looked packed!

26 minutes ago, DareToDibble said:

Longdrops at the back left (as you're looking at the stage) by any chance? I saw this and it really tickled me. Dedication to the locomotion, that!

I was stood just in off the path and the place looked packed!

Yeah haha! under the big TV crane. Madness!! I was just a bit further back on opposite side of track... thinking wow how are they handling the smell for so long... 

I arrived shortly before she started (only later realising I’d missed out on Sir David), optimistically hoping to shimmy my way in about half way back. Absolutely no chance at all. Ended up being washed down-field with the stream of people arriving, unable to escape the flow.

I was deposited towards the back, by which I mean way beyond wherever you think the back is. It was insane. I hung around for a couple of tracks but didn’t stay. The weather had beaten me down by Sunday afternoon and my energy levels couldn’t take it. 

1 hour ago, kalifire said:

I arrived shortly before she started (only later realising I’d missed out on Sir David), optimistically hoping to shimmy my way in about half way back. Absolutely no chance at all. Ended up being washed down-field with the stream of people arriving, unable to escape the flow.

I was deposited towards the back, by which I mean way beyond wherever you think the back is. It was insane. I hung around for a couple of tracks but didn’t stay. The weather had beaten me down by Sunday afternoon and my energy levels couldn’t take it. 

You paint a wonderfully pathetic picture there Kali!

Edited by stuartbert two hats
  • Like 1

Just now, kalifire said:

Haha, I was quite the state by that point. Hobbling, I was. Trying to preserve what precious energy remained for Janelle. 

I hated the hobbling this year. Obviously no sore feet in 2016, but 2017 was oddly ok too. I was hobbling around from Friday onwards. I think my footwear may have been too tight, but it was quite annoying!

2014 was also a terrible year for the feet, I didn't leave The Park all day, they were just done in.