Organisers: Please, please read...

DannyEvo

£2.50 for a can of water is simply unacceptable. Yes, there are free water taps (surrounded by knee deep mud) - however if you're at the main stage how can you justify £2.50 for a can of water?

£5.00 for a bag of ice is also simply unacceptable - people need ice to keep their food cold. Some families cannot afford to bring their Children and pay for the food stalls all weekend so bringing food is very important. How is this morally ok?

The organizers need to put a stop to these companies who try to extract every extra penny from paying customers.

I'd also suggest that rather than have 20 staff at each gate desperate to find a can of beer on someone, why can't they be putting extra woodchip down on dangerous paths? The walk from The Area through to the Holmes campsite was utterly dangerous and I'm surprised we didn't have any reports of broken bones.

I love the festival, but this year the amount of piss throwing, mud kicking and obnoxious kids absolutely ruined it.

Something needs to change before the festival loses it's magic.

5 minutes ago, DannyEvo said:

£2.50 for a can of water is simply unacceptable. Yes, there are free water taps (surrounded by knee deep mud) - however if you're at the main stage how can you justify £2.50 for a can of water?

£5.00 for a bag of ice is also simply unacceptable - people need ice to keep their food cold. Some families cannot afford to bring their Children and pay for the food stalls all weekend so bringing food is very important. How is this morally ok?

The organizers need to put a stop to these companies who try to extract every extra penny from paying customers.

I'd also suggest that rather than have 20 staff at each gate desperate to find a can of beer on someone, why can't they be putting extra woodchip down on dangerous paths? The walk from The Area through to the Holmes campsite was utterly dangerous and I'm surprised we didn't have any reports of broken bones.

I love the festival, but this year the amount of piss throwing, mud kicking and obnoxious kids absolutely ruined it.

Something needs to change before the festival loses it's magic.

None of this will change, its the same at every festival in the UK :( 

The high cost of canned water will continue until there is high enough production.  Its still fairly small scale and crazy that such small sizes are used. As for Ice that is fairly standard I saw £6.00 at Bearded and is not ideal for long term cooling..  Freeze water in 2l bottles to use for cooling and drink when defrosted.  My cool box was still cool on the Monday. 

I think the organisers will just think after reading this ............ what more can we do than give away 10,000 reusable water carriers ! 

Ice pretty standard in cost that as folk saying above buy water bottles before festival and freeze them works a treat . 

• Upvote 2

33 minutes ago, LOCHLAND5 said:

............ what more can we do than give away 10,000 reusable water carriers ! 

Exactly, i drink as much water at festivals as I do booze these days and just use my refillable bottle, no problems at Kendal nor any other festivals. I rarely buy water, its a waste of money when tap water is readily available if your willing to ask

Edited by amyg1990

22 minutes ago, amyg1990 said:

Exactly, i drink as much water at festivals as I do booze these days and just use my refillable bottle, no problems at Kendal nor any other festivals. I rarely buy water, its a waste of money when tap water is readily available if your willing to ask

Taps aren't readily available, and getting to them surrounded by the mud bath rife with piss wasn't too easy.

1 hour ago, paddyclark said:

The high cost of canned water will continue until there is high enough production.  Its still fairly small scale and crazy that such small sizes are used. As for Ice that is fairly standard I saw £6.00 at Bearded and is not ideal for long term cooling..  Freeze water in 2l bottles to use for cooling and drink when defrosted.  My cool box was still cool on the Monday. 

That's a great idea, will try that next time.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DannyEvo said:

Taps aren't readily available, and getting to them surrounded by the mud bath rife with piss wasn't too easy.

Once a day i filled my 6ltr water container and topped up from that, i had no problems and only qued on the first day to do this. Taps are readily available, and bars etc will always give you water

Edited by amyg1990

9 minutes ago, amyg1990 said:

Once a day i filled my 6ltr water container and topped up from that, i had no problems and only qued on the first day to do this. Taps are readily available, and bars etc will always give you water

I asked several times at bars for water and was refused each time.

Having said that the water points weren't that bad at all.

Just now, Seldom Seen Kid said:

I asked several times at bars for water and was refused each time.

Having said that the water points weren't that bad at all.

thats disgusting, no one should be refused tap water

I was obviously lucky I didnt have that problem 

First time at Kendal .defo my last . Poor Festival management. Ridiculous prices £13 for a pizza. ffs doesn't even cost that in a restaurant...and worst I've been to for obnoxious arseholes.  And there was plenty of them ....

And either make Drainage or spend money putting tracks down .? 

Security should have put a stop to the mud wrestling at Tom Jones ...clowns kept throwing mud into the crowd..was right in front of mixing desk so its not as if they didn't see it.

Severe lack of seating areas at

Food stalls.

I could Go on all day but point is....  festival is piss poor ..in fact ...worst I've been to ...in 30 years of going to festivals.

4 hours ago, port said:

First time at Kendal .defo my last . Poor Festival management. Ridiculous prices £13 for a pizza. ffs doesn't even cost that in a restaurant...and worst I've been to for obnoxious arseholes.  And there was plenty of them ....

Security should have put a stop to the mud wrestling at Tom Jones ...clowns kept throwing mud into the crowd..was right in front of mixing desk so its not as if they didn't see it.

Food stalls.

I could Go on all day but point is....  festival is piss poor ..in fact ...worst I've been to ...in 30 years of going to festivals.

Make drainage? Did you see the amount of rain on Saturday get a grip mate. There was plenty of food options for about £8 which is average for a festival. Clearly haven’t been to T or Leeds if you think that’s a lot of obnoxious arseholes

15 hours ago, port said:

Food stalls.

Plenty of cheaper options..   Tim Peaks Pizzas  £7 to £9, perhaps look around? Always pays to do that rather than be lazy.

If you are aware of a drainage system that would cope with that amount of rain you must be one hell of an engineer.

despite the weather one of the more memorable of the 6 Kendals I have been to.

Went with my 24 year old for the 3rd year running and yep, noticed a difference this year but not actually enough to stop us buying tickets again this morning. I think it's a great mid sized festival and with a few tweaks, could be ace

Great Plains was huge this year and all the pre erected tents was on flat ground leaving the rest of us peasants on a slope. Twas ace to get home and sleep on a level bed. 

Loads of people moaning about the trek from the car park? Seriously?!?! You've obviously never felt the pain of being sent to the Pink car park at Glastonbury... you might as well be parked in Bristol! 10 min walk tops from parking to camping with a bit of a hill. Bit knackering in the heat of Thursday but it wasn't totally horrendous 

Expensive beer and food prices. Again really? It's not really any different to any other festival. Every other festival I've been to, including Glastonbury with the exception of the addition of Co-op this year, has a huge mark up on ice. 5 quid a pint and 2.50 a soft drink/canned water isn't all that different to anywhere else. 

Every member of security we encountered were fab. Special mention goes to the one manning the road between Great Plains and the arena on Sunday. I toddled down to go and buy some smokes but he couldn't let anyone through as the arena was late opening whilst they tried to clear some mud. He promptly went and got some of his own smokes to give me. Absolutely superstar! 

The main stage was like a lake when we walked past early hours Sunday morning. I'm actually impressed they managed to get it open at all on Sunday! 

The biggest change this year though was that it appears Kendal is the new right of passage after GCSEs that Leeds and Reading is. I get I probably sound like my Ma and I am a huge advocate for 16 year olds being the future of festivals... you can only rehash 90s indie bands that my generation generally love so many times but please... learn some fucking gig etiquette! I don't doubt for one second there were also 30 somethings acting like knobs. I didn't encounter any though. I did encounter my fair share of teens chewing their faces off and trying to barge to the front of the stage well in to set start times in big long lines all holding hands and then being abusive when told there was no space to get anywhere.  It's just seriously rude and the only time in 30 years of gigs I've left the front of the stage was during Nile Rodgers... a disco act for fucks sake because it was just getting ridiculous. Stuck my arms up to clap and then couldn't get them back down again! 

Drink what you like. Take what you like. Just be considerate of those around you! 

Edited by Digi
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 4

24 minutes ago, Digi said:

Went with my 24 year old for the 3rd year running and yep, noticed a difference this year but not actually enough to stop us buying tickets again this morning. I think it's a great mid sized festival and with a few tweaks, could be ace

Great Plains was huge this year and all the pre erected tents was on flat ground leaving the rest of us peasants on a slope. Twas ace to get home and sleep on a level bed. 

Loads of people moaning about the trek from the car park? Seriously?!?! You've obviously never felt the pain of being sent to the Pink car park at Glastonbury... you might as well be parked in Bristol! 10 min walk tops from parking to camping with a bit of a hill. Bit knackering in the heat of Thursday but it wasn't totally horrendous 

Expensive beer and food prices. Again really? It's not really any different to any other festival. Every other festival I've been to, including Glastonbury with the exception of the addition of Co-op this year, has a huge mark up on ice. 5 quid a pint and 2.50 a soft drink/canned water isn't all that different to anywhere else. 

Every member of security we encountered were fab. Special mention goes to the one manning the road between Great Plains and the arena on Sunday. I toddled down to go and buy some smokes but he couldn't let anyone through as the arena was late opening whilst they tried to clear some mud. He promptly went and got some of his own smokes to give me. Absolutely superstar! 

The main stage was like a lake when we walked past early hours Sunday morning. I'm actually impressed they managed to get it open at all on Sunday! 

The biggest change this year though was that it appears Kendal is the new right of passage after GCSEs that Leeds and Reading is. I get I probably sound like my Ma and I am a huge advocate for 16 year olds being the future of festivals... you can only rehash 90s indie bands that my generation generally love so many times but please... learn some fucking gig etiquette! I don't doubt for one second there were also 30 somethings acting like knobs. I didn't encounter any though. I did encounter my fair share of teens chewing their faces off and trying to barge to the front of the stage well in to set start times in big long lines all holding hands and then being abusive when told there was no space to get anywhere.  It's just seriously rude and the only time in 30 years of gigs I've left the front of the stage was during Nile Rodgers... a disco act for fucks sake because it was just getting ridiculous. Stuck my arms up to clap and then couldn't get them back down again! 

Drink what you like. Take what you like. Just be considerate of those around you! 

Probably the most sensible well balanced review to be written imo! 

With regards to security though I do feel it’s lacking some strong more doorman type around the main stage to at least get control of some of the yobs ! The security is just a little bit too nice and young! 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, LOCHLAND5 said:

Probably the most sensible well balanced review to be written imo! 

With regards to security though I do feel it’s lacking some strong more doorman type around the main stage to at least get control of some of the yobs ! The security is just a little bit too nice and young! 

I think you're probably right which is a bit sad. We really shouldn't need policing