Barnabylike

Ynot Festival 2020

1 hour ago, Raindow Rhythms said:

First time posting on this thread. I have been a regular at Latitude since 2014. The line-up has continually moved away from what I am into and so I am now looking at other options. Truck would probably be a good alternative but the dates don't work. YNot's line up looks great: BBC. Richard Ashcroft, Ash, Shed7, Levellers ... I appreciate it's a very different festival to Latitude and wondered if anyone had any advice? What do I need to know? There would be three of us - three blokes in their late 30s. How long does it take to get a drink? Does the campsite divide into different areas (loud and quiet)? I have heard horror stories about the rain - have those issues been sorted?

Any advice, much appreciated.

The main arena is pretty small in comparison to other festivals.

Drink queue times have never really been a major issue, I'd say maybe 10/15 minute waits, but then during the evening maybe anywhere up to 30/40 mins - but there are plenty of bars about and available. 

Family camping is the most quiet out of all the campsites, however in terms of the regular ones the closer to the arena you are the louder they are - Misty Mountain and Black Dog are the loudest and rowdiest out of them all. But there isn't really anything splitting noise up otherwise. 

In terms of rain, last year had minor improvements, but it was still a shit show in terms of mud, barely any wood chippings were put down, and a lot of people left Sunday morning - I'd hope they improve it this year, and do the wood chippings to the extent Leeds does, otherwise prepare for it to be pretty muddy!

16 minutes ago, stanh said:

In terms of rain, last year had minor improvements, but it was still a shit show in terms of mud, barely any wood chippings were put down, and a lot of people left Sunday morning - I'd hope they improve it this year, and do the wood chippings to the extent Leeds does, otherwise prepare for it to be pretty muddy!

Hasn't it now returned to its original owner so there may well be more improvements rather than  the cuts made by the last lot?

15 hours ago, Nobody Interesting said:

Hasn't it now returned to its original owner so there may well be more improvements rather than  the cuts made by the last lot?

Not exactly. The new owner used to work for the company that founded the festival. I think he was there from the beginning though. 

The new owner looks to have borrowed money from Global to keep the event going, so I wouldn't be expecting improvements. It's an independent event not backed by a big company anymore. 

Edited by JBarbour

15 hours ago, Nobody Interesting said:

I believe so, but as said above, I doubt we will see many changes (if any)

Anybody have any ideas on when the Thursday and Friday Headliners will be announced and more importantly, who they will be?

The longer it goes on the more I think they will bump a sub up to headliner and back fill.

22 minutes ago, DanWhite said:

Anybody have any ideas on when the Thursday and Friday Headliners will be announced and more importantly, who they will be?

The longer it goes on the more I think they will bump a sub up to headliner and back fill.

Mid March for the second wave announcement usually. No idea who it will be, but I refuse to believe they would bump a sub to headline the Friday given how much shit they've received over the lineup so far.

• Upvote 1

I’m thinking they’ll drop the third headliner next week. Reckon it’ll be someone fairly big.

2 hours ago, wro_lap said:

I’m thinking they’ll drop the third headliner next week. Reckon it’ll be someone fairly big.

You just guessing or you know anything?

1 hour ago, Samjones said:

You just guessing or you know anything?

I know nothing. But based on when Truck did the same thing (Same organisers/bookers, I believe) the third headliner they announced turned out to be Courteeners, which was a pretty massive booking. Feel like Y Not will pull something similar out of the bag.

6 hours ago, wro_lap said:

I know nothing. But based on when Truck did the same thing (Same organisers/bookers, I believe) the third headliner they announced turned out to be Courteeners, which was a pretty massive booking. Feel like Y Not will pull something similar out of the bag.

Hopefully, looks like they might have to judging but social media response, might need someone for the younger audience 

2 hours ago, Samjones said:

Hopefully, looks like they might have to judging but social media response, might need someone for the younger audience 

To be honest it would be good marketing to save back someone like that. Would get the younger attendees engaged, and with another big indie band on the second stage maybe, that could shift a few tickets.

That said, I don’t necessarily think it’ll be the Courteeners.

• Upvote 1

On 3/6/2020 at 1:33 PM, wro_lap said:

Same organisers/bookers, I believe

Different organisers/owners now. Used to be the same. Think the Booker is still the same for the top tier acts at least for this year, but he has always been a freelancer. 

They could well of struggled to secure that 3rd headliner with no big company backing them now, hence the delay. 

On 3/9/2020 at 2:47 PM, JBarbour said:

Different organisers/owners now. Used to be the same. Think the Booker is still the same for the top tier acts at least for this year, but he has always been a freelancer. 

They could well of struggled to secure that 3rd headliner with no big company backing them now, hence the delay. 

Nah, I reckon they have one booked but have chosen to save them back to build a bit of hype. If they were struggling to book a headliner, they could’ve just bumped up Bombay, given they’re headlining Truck and APE. They’ve always had that insurance policy.

12 minutes ago, A costume of a man said:

I'm starting to wonder if UK festival organisers, including Y Not, should probably start communicating a bit with ticket holders about this bloody coronavirus situ...

what can they say? They can't guarantee it'll go ahead.

Saying nothing is the same as saying that they continue to hope it'll be going ahead.

13 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

what can they say? They can't guarantee it'll go ahead.

Saying nothing is the same as saying that they continue to hope it'll be going ahead.

Not sure, hence the 'starting the wonder' comment - but it's a worthy discussion topic I think (in the sense of will they or should they address it and how).

2 minutes ago, A costume of a man said:

Not sure, hence the 'starting the wonder' comment - but it's a worthy discussion topic I think (in the sense of will they or should they address it and how).

It's a bit of a pointless discussion really. We all know the possibility of being forced to cancel is out there, but none of us know if that's going to happen. There's not really anything that can be added to that.

Edited by eFestivals

The second organisers start suggesting cancellation may happen they will be bombarded with questions they cant currently answer  better to put out fact than statements just adding to speculation

11 hours ago, wro_lap said:

Nah, I reckon they have one booked but have chosen to save them back to build a bit of hype. If they were struggling to book a headliner, they could’ve just bumped up Bombay, given they’re headlining Truck and APE. They’ve always had that insurance policy.

You'd be surprised how many festivals have struggled to secure a top tier line up this year including ones backed by huge promoters. It could well be the case they've held back a headliner, but it wouldn't be Y Not's choice. It will be an act that has a tour to sell out or an album to announce first. Or they simply didn't have an act secured at the time of the first announcement. 

You'd want peoples money as quick as possible before they book another festival, their is a lot of competition for Y Not, so its not in their interest to hold back announcement for too long. 

53 minutes ago, JBarbour said:

You'd be surprised how many festivals have struggled to secure a top tier line up this year including ones backed by huge promoters. It could well be the case they've held back a headliner, but it wouldn't be Y Not's choice. It will be an act that has a tour to sell out or an album to announce first. Or they simply didn't have an act secured at the time of the first announcement. 

You'd want peoples money as quick as possible before they book another festival, their is a lot of competition for Y Not, so its not in their interest to hold back announcement for too long. 

Yeah, I’m aware that happens for a lot of festivals, and it could very well happen to Y Not. However, I think if it had happened in this particular scenario they’d have held back locking in a borderline sub/headline act like Bombay by announcing them as a sub. Means they don’t have the option to bump them up if they can’t find a decent third headliner. They’re already headlining Truck, so they’re perfectly acceptable in that slot, so I think if Y Not had no third headliner booked they would’ve held them back.

5 hours ago, wro_lap said:

Yeah, I’m aware that happens for a lot of festivals, and it could very well happen to Y Not. However, I think if it had happened in this particular scenario they’d have held back locking in a borderline sub/headline act like Bombay by announcing them as a sub. Means they don’t have the option to bump them up if they can’t find a decent third headliner. They’re already headlining Truck, so they’re perfectly acceptable in that slot, so I think if Y Not had no third headliner booked they would’ve held them back.

That wouldn't make sense. Holding back more of the line up just incase you can't get a headliner. Festivals announce in a time period agreed on by agents and the promoter. The aim of the game is to sell out as quickly as possible. They've kept back a third headliner either because they were late in securing the act or the act has restricted the announcement.