Piss take

SloopJohnB

2 minutes ago, Northern_Lights said:

Swerved KC this year and looks like I made the right call. As soon as I heard The Courteeners were headlining I knew a load of idiot fans would show up having witnessed their thugish antics at their own gigs. 

The amount of teens barging past everyone using elbows and pushing was unreal at Tom Jones. Took me 15 minutes to realise they were all there for the Courteeners. There were lovely respectful girls next to us who confirmed it but at least they weren’t dicks 

Love it how you everyone complains about young people being drunk and being dicks. When I’m reality there’s just as many older knobheads. Fact is that in the 70’s 80’s it was just as bad and everyone was on more than they are now. It’s just everyone else has aged and loves to have a moan

• Upvote 1

One hand I agree that kids will be kids and we've all been there so leave them to it. On the other hand a lot of what people are saying rings true. When i was 16/17 going to my first festival we where there for the music, the amount of teens I seen at the front of gigs who appeared to only be there to create mosh pits (most of the time to songs which really didn't work for it or started at the wrong time) or stand and talk seemed unreal.

I witnessed about eight 16 years old's push their way out of Gerry Cinnamon, no apologies just pushing through, fine it might have been to much, but 2 songs later the same eight where pushing back through the crowd again with the zero respect for people watching the crowd... just why? 

It does tend to be younger people I agree but at the end of the day it’s always been like that and I just get the feeling that the majority of the people complaining, were once that age and out their tits at festivals and are just choosing to forget that. 

I agree that some of them aren’t there for the music and it can be annoying but at the end of the day they’ve paid for it and can sit and talk through a gig all they want for I care. Some of my pals only left campsite 2/3 times and had best weekend of their lives.

Not really a fair comparison Mattie.

In the early 80s, you could pretty much count UK festivals on one hand and deffo two hands.  

It hasnt always been like that at all and it isn't "like that" now at loads of other festival's. Beautiful Days, Green Man, BT as mentioned earlier are just a few examples.

Some festivals garner a reputation for obnoxious behaviour from, and I say with caution, kid's / teens primarily who go there to act how the fuck they like with little care given to how that impacts on other festival goers. Leeds festival for example and V in it's latter dying years. It just looks alarmingly like Kendal is heading the same way.

I don't think this is a good thing. The idea of the festival community is a gathering of people from all ages and backgrounds enjoying some ales and watching bands and at the same time, respecting one another. That respect was in pretty short supply last weekend. For the record, we got barged out of the way by endless chain's of young lads but didn't get barged at all by groups of lashed up 40 something's.

It's s shame if Kendal Calling keeps creeping this way and develops even more of a reputation where groups can go and act like bell ends for 5 day's at the detriment of other festival attendees.

Your pals who had the time of their lives, why didn't they just go camp somewhere with a load of ale / narcs and save quite a few Bob?

It is hard reconcile sometimes that what passed as entertainment for me at 17 was chasing away fans around the streets of Old Trafford and Hulme. And then being chased the following Saturday around Plaistow / Fulham Broadway/ Birmingham / wherever. Thank goodness for LSD and the Hacienda, Konspiracy and the Thunderdome...

Kids today hey... If they only knew what we used to have to do have fun!

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, Jay Pee said:

In the early 80s, you could pretty much count UK festivals on one hand and deffo two hands.  

It hasnt always been like that at all and it isn't "like that" now at loads of other festival's. Beautiful Days, Green Man, BT as mentioned earlier are just a few examples.

Some festivals garner a reputation for obnoxious behaviour from, and I say with caution, kid's / teens primarily who go there to act how the fuck they like with little care given to how that impacts on other festival goers. Leeds festival for example and V in it's latter dying years. It just looks alarmingly like Kendal is heading the same way.

I don't think this is a good thing. The idea of the festival community is a gathering of people from all ages and backgrounds enjoying some ales and watching bands and at the same time, respecting one another. That respect was in pretty short supply last weekend. For the record, we got barged out of the way by endless chain's of young lads but didn't get barged at all by groups of lashed up 40 something's.

It's s shame if Kendal Calling keeps creeping this way and develops even more of a reputation where groups can go and act like bell ends for 5 day's at the detriment of other festival attendees.

Your pals who had the time of their lives, why didn't they just go camp somewhere with a load of ale / narcs and save quite a few Bob?

It is hard reconcile sometimes that what passed as entertainment for me at 17 was chasing away fans around the streets of Old Trafford and Hulme. And then being chased the following Saturday around Plaistow / Fulham Broadway/ Birmingham / wherever. Thank goodness for LSD and the Hacienda, Konspiracy and the Thunderdome...

So you’re trying to tell me that you went chasing away fans around old Trafford yet went to festivals and didn’t act like an arsehole? Hard to believe. I get that a lot of them are dickheads and don’t have respect but at the same time the a lot of them do. 

Think people should be focusing on the parents walking about with their kids out their trolley gurning tbh.

And as for my pals, pretty much the same reason you don’t stay at home and watch recordings of Glastonbury etc. It’s about the atmosphere. End of the day it’s their money and don’t think anyone else should care.

All in all I agree with you that some kids are arseholes but like I’ve said I find it a bit hypocritical

8 minutes ago, Mattie123 said:

So you’re trying to tell me that you went chasing away fans around old Trafford yet went to festivals and didn’t act like an arsehole? Hard to believe. I get that a lot of them are dickheads and don’t have respect but at the same time the a lot of them do

No mate, what i am saying is football was the outlet for us and not a great deal else really.  Things were pretty shit in the Thatcher Regime.  I hasten to add, the code of honour was well followed.  Only lads and not Barmies were engaged.

We didn't really look at festivals as a viable option.  There were not that many of them and certainly not around the North West.

If we wanted to get off our nut in a field, we took the tent up to Greenfields and picked mushrooms and sat around chatting shite all night.  Miles from anyone

You are spot on about the parenting.

25 minutes ago, Jay Pee said:

It'll be hard for a northern festival to avoid it. Kendal needs to stay alive, and how do you stay alive without appealing to those who buy tickets?

You need to understand that all of the major festivals are going to go that way sooner rather than later. Because older fans won't be there forever. Festivals need to evolve. People are going to get left behind. That's just how it is.

6 minutes ago, DomDom1984 said:

It'll be hard for a northern festival to avoid it. Kendal needs to stay alive, and how do you stay alive without appealing to those who buy tickets?

You need to understand that all of the major festivals are going to go that way sooner rather than later. Because older fans won't be there forever. Festivals need to evolve. People are going to get left behind. That's just how it is.

I agree. 

I think the peak has happened and we are on the ride down the other side and there will be lots of festival casualties in the next few years. 

Also worth considering is the bar spend is what bank rolls the next years festival / band bookings.  We have experience of this from working at a few festivals.

Again, i know this is generalising but over the last weekend, i was only ever stood amongst "older fans" when buying a pint.

Bringing in 48 cans of Strongbow Dark Fruits on a trolley and buying the odd tray of cheesy chip  aint keeping the dream alive in the long term.  More corporate sponsorship undoubtedly ?

This year felt like a bit of a tipping point towards V Fest/T in the Park. Maybe I was just unlucky, maybe it was just a one off because the Courteeners were there. But the last 3 times I've gotten my tickets as soon as they're available, this year I'm really not that fussed, I'll see what happens.

Experienced festival goer...worst festival ive ever been to ..hope it Folds...will do my Best to put people Off it.

From poor management to obnoxious arseholes. Definitely worse crowd ive Came across at a festival ....prices ridiculous .....not enough quality acts on to stop the majority heading for main stage which isn't big enough for the amount of people there.

Glad I didn't ever ditch the wickerman to go to this excuse for a Festival.

Haven't got the time to list the amount of complaints for this shithole.

• Downvote 3

2 hours ago, port said:

Experienced festival goer...worst festival ive ever been to ..hope it Folds...will do my Best to put people Off it.

From poor management to obnoxious arseholes. Definitely worse crowd ive Came across at a festival ....prices ridiculous .....not enough quality acts on to stop the majority heading for main stage which isn't big enough for the amount of people there.

I was lucky enough to be welcomed to Wickerman by a friendly bunch of Scots with my family in 2014 and 2015 I sort of understand why you are feeling how you are about Kendal , but cmon ! The music was usually shite until 7pm ! And the wickerman vibe made up for this ! 

Answer me this question do you think wickerman would of been any different if Gerry Cinnamon played ? This is how crowds are interacting these days ! The young team competing to create social media scenes! Good or bad it’s here at the moment! Or should KC of booked Lulu ? Look where wickerman went ! Electric Fields fared no batter on poor local under cards with big headliners ! 

This is Gerry at KC ! I wouldn’t say they are all that young but they having a great time ! 

15 hours ago, port said:

With the greatest of respect..  Do feel free to Piss off you miserable arse..

• Upvote 1

On 7/29/2019 at 10:20 AM, SloopJohnB said:

I decided to leave after the headliners in Sunday. When I got to the Emperor field car park is was pitch black and could find the car let alone navigate across the bog!

i got writhing a few feet of the road and my car inevitably sank. I spoke to security who arranged for a tractor which charged me £20 to get towed off....piss take!

dont get me wrong, I’ve done plenty of festivals and can handle mud, but the total lack of any attempt to maintain vehicle road, either with steel roadways ar at least chipping, the allow tractors to charge £20 to get you off is a joke!

So....I emailed KC on Monday and received a response today. They said that they have been made aware that some of the people they had paid to get people off were also charging those that they were towing off site. They said they will work to make sure it doesn’t happen again in future

In other words....unlucky mate you were ripped off, now stop bothering us....great!

On 7/31/2019 at 11:30 AM, SloopJohnB said:

So....I emailed KC on Monday and received a response today. They said that they have been made aware that some of the people they had paid to get people off were also charging those that they were towing off site. They said they will work to make sure it doesn’t happen again in future

In other words....unlucky mate you were ripped off, now stop bothering us....great!

What do you expect them to do?  Can you identify the tractor driver again?  Can you prove you paid him...  

This was my second Kendal Calling but sadly will probably be the last. 

I loved last year's festival! Fantastic vibe, great music, lots of other things to see and do. But this year I did see a huge decline in a lot of things, not just the general atmosphere but the support from the festival, on-site facilities and value for money.

Firstly, not once did I see any campsite staff. The toilets in the campsite were atrocious (I understand that's got a lot to do with the people that use them), and the state of the campsite was awful! I thought we were supposed to have festival crew on site but the only ones I saw we're the car park crew, main festival gate and about 100 people at the arena entrance intent on stopping people from sneaking a can or two in. I thought the campsite crew were supposed to be dishing out recycling bin bags etc., but didn't see anyone handing these out or any recycling bags at all. I always take bin bags with me to tidy our camp up but other than that the place was a total shit tip.

The vibe just didn't feel right to me either. Maybe it's my age, the weather (or both), and I can't put my finger on it at all but it wasn't as friendly or chilled as last year.

And value for money is non-existent unfortunately. I appreciate the festival has to make money and I too have probably been spoilt by Glastonbury, but they seem to charge for absolutely everything! Arriving on Thursday, clean toilets (or posh privvy's if you want to be technical), showers, programmes at £10 a pop which were pretty pitiful (just have a free app please), leaving and re-entering the car park etc. The food and drink was expensive (I know there are cheaper food stalls around the site), and the difference between the festival trying to stop people sneaking a few cans of cider in, compared to them trying to help people in the car parks/campsites/on the route to the arena (it was so dangerous given the weather) was unbelievable.

I'm not usually a miserable cow but after last year's KC (I told anyone that would listen what a great little festival it is), I was really sad to see such a massive difference. I truly hope it improves in the future, it really could be a fantastic festival again.