Campervan 2020

Davidkfc

Hi Guys,

My wife, her two sisters and the three husbands have decided that next year is our bucket list ‘festival ‘ at Glastonbury. We want to go in a Campervan as we are all, shall we say, over 55... Ish. This is our first time.

Firstly, what are the chances of us all getting tickets?

secondly, does Glastonbury have electric hookups for  a 6 Berth Campervan.

thanks

David

The first challenge will be getting tickets to the festival itself; just be prepared and there is lots of advice available on here. 

The campervan sale takes place after the ticket sale and again is a bit of a lottery but I've seen them come available again on here throughout the year so just keep an eye out. Just bear in mind the lead booker needs to be with you on entry - I think! I'm sure someone will be around to correct me if I'm writing. 

@H.M.V went in a caravan this year, she may be able to offer advice. As may @guypjfreak as he usual 'vans' too. 

Good luck.

1 hour ago, Davidkfc said:

Hi Guys,

My wife, her two sisters and the three husbands have decided that next year is our bucket list ‘festival ‘ at Glastonbury. We want to go in a Campervan as we are all, shall we say, over 55... Ish. This is our first time.

thanks

David

Hi

This was our first year and we (me, hubby and 15yo son) hired a campervan and stayed at Bath & West Showground (this was the only option left ticket day) and after initially being concerned, as I didn’t realise until much later it was not “on-site”, can’t recommend it enough but there is no electrical hook up. I don’t think any of the campervan sites onsite offer electric hookup but I could be wrong. We had gas for the fridge and lights and water and just used power banks for phones and ran the van to top up the battery for an hour or so each morning or night. 

Bath & West has its own toilet and shower block, which is heaven (the long drop toilets on site are something to be behold and I don’t mean that in a good way ??) and there is somewhere to empty the toilet cartridge.

There was also a food van doing bacon rolls etc and chips  and burgers I am pretty sure all day until late but we never got home before 1am so don’t know exactly what time they stop.

Getting to the festival is a piece of cake as they have buses running 24hours from by the toilet block and we never had to wait. Trip to the festival site takes approximately 10ish mins depending on traffic which gives you time to have a cheeky beer and admire the scenery and coming home you just head back to the gate and jump on.

Good luck getting tickets but be prepared, it’s truly amazing and something else and all the things you read on here before you go and you will be addicted ! My husband initially wasn’t that fussed about going and now we have all said if we don’t get tickets again this year we are going to be utterly devastated!! ??

2 hours ago, Davidkfc said:

Hi Guys,

thanks

David

As others have said there is no hook up for vehicles (we stay in west campervan site)  but you can normally power your fridge, hob and hot water from the gas. We got through one bottle of gas this year between 3 adults (having showers every day) and we stayed from tuesday to Monday so two bottles should be plenty for your entire stay.

Getting your ticket is definitely the biggest hurdle but at least there are 6 of you (the max you can buy in one transaction) so that’s a good start. The campervan tickets go on sale a couple of weeks after the main sale and were £120 this year. Although it’s nowhere near as stressful as the main sale, still take it seriously as they do sell out quickly.

Good luck! You’ll absolutely love it! 

4 hours ago, Davidkfc said:

Hi Guys,

thanks

David

Hi David, others have offered campervan advice but not fully addressed your first question.....that of "the chances of getting tickets".

Every year the popularity of Glastonbury grows to new heights to the effect that tickets sell out in minutes, not hours. Many have it on their bucket list and since 2020 is the 50th anniversary demand for tickets (gauged by volume of interest in 2020) is anticipated to reach a new high.

No one can forecast the chances of getting tickets because there is no solid data to go on. Your also competing against a global fan base.

The general ticket sale in October 2018 for the 2019 festival lasted approximately 30 minutes and left many diehard fans disappointed. These woes recorded elsewhere on this forum and elsewhere on the internet. Groups totalling 20+ persons getting just a handful of tickets....and some none. Those in the know speculated or guessimated that up to one million people were trying to get one of the 120,000 general admission tickets available. How accurate this is no one knows, it may have been higher or lower. At the time however I recall Emily Eavis revealing the number of registrations for Glasto was considerably higher than 1 million, it many have been 2 million + (anyone help on this?).

Your chances of getting tickets are ultimately down to luck but you can minimise the odds by good preparation. Have everyone register in good time and ensure those registrations are confirmed. Get as many people in your group as possible to try for tickets.... even friends to try on your behalf. And make sure everyone trying knows the registration details of each person they're trying for, viz: reg. number and post code.

For the moment....Hope to go...like all the rest of us....The planning only begins when the golden ticket has been acquired!

Thank you everyone for your replies and advice.

can anybody tell me on what date last October tickets went on sale for this year. The reason I ask, is that we have a particularly busy October this year and may be out of the country when they go on sale.

11 minutes ago, Davidkfc said:

Thank you everyone for your replies and advice.

can anybody tell me on what date last October tickets went on sale for this year. The reason I ask, is that we have a particularly busy October this year and may be out of the country when they go on sale.

General sale is *usually* on the first Sunday in October, with the coach sale the Thursday prior. I would guess it will be the 6th, a chance the 13th. 

The Thingy will give you more information - @Gnomicide

21 hours ago, Davidkfc said:

thanks

David

One thing to note if you're successful is the rules on campervan size. The fields at the fest site limit campervan to a maximum of 8m. Anything over that has to use the Bath & West Showground.

Good luck

Edited by Lycra

16 minutes ago, Davidkfc said:

Thanks Guys,

If I am bang on 9 am, what are the chances of geting tickets? 

What tips would you give to make sure I am well placed (Technically) to get tickets?

thanks again

David

There is no pattern - you can be on uber-fast broadband or tethered to a phone on 3G, it's purely beating the odds of hitting F5 when a slot becomes available on the back-end servers against the number of people trying to get tickets (before they sell out).

ME said there were almost 3 Million registrations and there are about 175,000 tickets that can be bought in batches of 6 at a time (to registered people only). 

Tips:-

Get reg numbers & postcodes in a text file so you can cut-n-paste them into the form quickly.

Have bank card ready and make sure you have £50 * tickets needed available for deposit.

Bookmark ticket landing page and get there before ticket sale time.

Press F5 repeatedly (but less than 60 per minute so you don't get blocked) until you get to booking page.

Get as many people you can to do the same process to increase chances to get through (if numbers are used you'll get a message so you can't accidentally buy two tickets).

Edited by Penrhos

Just now, Davidkfc said:

Thank you Penrhos.

Much appreciated.

Good luck, read everything you can about getting tickets, stay on this forum , as t day approaches you will gain loads of tips - but be prepared and be super prepared.

Its not easy, or you maybe one of the super lucky ones that presses refresh once and gets it, but its a true lottery, get everyone in your grou to try for the same 6 and you have more chances in the lottery, there are no secrets, just hammer F5/refresh  and hope for the best and have all the registartions and postcodes of your party ready and your bank card stocked up

There is a thread on here to Ticket day (T day) that i am sure will hot up for sure before that sacred date in October

Thanks Guys,

If I am bang on 9 am, what are the chances of geting tickets? 

What tips would you give to make sure I am well placed (Technically) to get tickets?

thanks again

David

Echo @Penrhos, it's all down to luck. You can be online with webpages preloaded before 9am and be banging f5 repeatedly when the sale goes live. Problem is hundreds of thousands and potentially a million plus others from all over the globe will be doing exactly the same. It's the luck of your request to link to the seetickets server arriving when a space exists to accept it. And even of you manage to get hooked up it's still way to early to count your chickens.

If you read the threads of previous sales you will see may tales of woe where the seetickets website hung/stalled/threw out a great many at various stages of the sale process, including those who'd actually pressed the pay button! It's a lottery.

The following stages define ticket day process:

- white screen of death (blank screen)

- holding page (automatically refreshes every 10sec? in attempt to link to full seetickets server - disregard auto and refresh manually no faster than  1/sec)

- Get on actual seetickets site, enter registration details & press proceed

- Confirm registered persons names are correct, confirm and proceed

- Enter payment details, press pay

- Payment confirmed. ...Smug self satisfaction and a huge heap of relief.

Sounds so simple but every stage is fraught with potential failure which is sadly experienced by the majority. For example, in October 2018  5 out of the 6 people trying in our group failed to get beyond the white screen of death..... and the 1 that did got thrown off the server at the confirm registration stage ? These days the popularity of Glasto  means the number of tickets available is dwarfed many times over by the numbers wanting tickets.

However don't let reality put you off....130,000 people do get tickets in the general sale and for them the process works. Be lucky.......and try!

• 4 weeks later...
52 minutes ago, Davidkfc said:

Hi Guys,

My Bro n law has a 10 digit registration number as do I, but my Sis n law is 9 digits. Is this common or an issue?

Perfectly OK, you will need names and postcodes of all your party to get tickets - (the postcode they registered with) so make sure thats on a spreadsheet or something similar, - 6 tickets per booking and all reg numbers and postcodes are needed

There are 3 couples hopefully going next year.

Is it better for the 3 couples to all try at the same time to get tickets?

What if we all get tickets, then that would mean 18 tickets.....or will the system just not accept that?

Do you need to pay full price at the time of order on October 6th or 13th.

thanks again

David

7 minutes ago, Davidkfc said:

There are 3 couples hopefully going next year.

Is it better for the 3 couples to all try at the same time to get tickets?

What if we all get tickets, then that would mean 18 tickets.....or will the system just not accept that?

Do you need to pay full price at the time of order on October 6th or 13th.

thanks again

David

£50 deposit with the balance due in April. 

Each person can buy up to 6 tickets per registration. Each person must have their own registration number. If you have 3 couple trying: you'll still potentially end up with 6 tickets if that's all you need. You just enter the details when the person gets through. I would not recommend each trying per couple for 2 tickets at a time. Safety in numbers.

7 minutes ago, Davidkfc said:

Thanks Vintage.

I am going to be in Florida at the time but my two bro n laws will be trying for us.....hopefully.

David

Being in Florida is no excuse!  ?.   Just make sure you’re up (and sober enough to see) and you’ll be grand.   We would have had tickets from Boston, Mass. if i’d been awake enough to remember my daughter’s postcode.

• Upvote 1

Thanks Vintage.

I am going to be in Florida at the time but my two bro n laws will be trying for us.....hopefully.

David

No worries. Just to clarify its £50 deposit per ticket - I re-read what I had written and wanted to make sure it was clear. So 6 tickets would be total £300 deposit.

Edited by vintagelaureate