Pilton Party 2019

Kalopsia

59 minutes ago, FakeEmpire said:

Had to move so many times before finding a place in Wolf Alice where I wasn't surrounded by people just shouting/chanting at each other throughout, drinking games, facing the wrong way, having loud conversations as if the music was a distraction.   It was proper dickhead central, very odd.

that's pretty standard at PP. I guess it's a consequence of having the best bands in the world play in your backyard.

Years ago Starsailor stopped mid-set and gave the crowd some abuse for ignoring them and chatting. The crowd pretty much ignored the abuse too. :lol: 

(in the end Stairsailor got their heads down and played a decent set, and got the crowd's attention that way).

1 hour ago, FakeEmpire said:

Supergrass & Wolf Alice both excellent but, my God, that was the worst crowd I think I have ever experienced at any gig or festival I have ever been to.

Had to move so many times before finding a place in Wolf Alice where I wasn't surrounded by people just shouting/chanting at each other throughout, drinking games, facing the wrong way, having loud conversations as if the music was a distraction.   It was proper dickhead central, very odd.

Anyway, Supergrass were really tight - smashed through 11 hits in a row as if they'd never been away.  I'd have liked a few bonus tracks from the later records but I suppose they still want us to buy tour tickets!

Wolf Alice were really, really good and deserving of a much better crowd.   Hope the Other Stage headliner rumours are true for 2020.

Moved once ourselves for that reason during supergrass but wasn't too bothered. 

We were at the summer in the park in Glasgow recently and the organisers had put up very polite notices asking folk to ‘not conduct loud conversations during performances or move to the rear of the crowd’. This is always a problem during acoustic sets. 

Edited by Ayrshire Chris

9 hours ago, eFestivals said:

that's pretty standard at PP. I guess it's a consequence of having the best bands in the world play in your backyard.

Years ago Starsailor stopped mid-set and gave the crowd some abuse for ignoring them and chatting. The crowd pretty much ignored the abuse too. :lol: 

(in the end Stairsailor got their heads down and played a decent set, and got the crowd's attention that way).

Yeah and this is kind of the thing isnt it cos people do that at all gigs now and any band worth their salt should be able to shut them up and make them listen by performing a blinding set.

On ‎9‎/‎9‎/‎2019 at 6:16 AM, deebeedoobee said:

Yes yes please. We are looking for volunteers. If you email us on thefestivalrun@gmail.com with your contact email and phone number we will add you to our team and let you know what’s what. Basically You will be needed around 9am to 1 . 

We would really appreciate the help?

What date is this again See if I am around to help then I can email the adress

19 hours ago, Pinhead said:

Yeah and this is kind of the thing isnt it cos people do that at all gigs now and any band worth their salt should be able to shut them up and make them listen by performing a blinding set.

I go to plenty of gigs, and most people are not like this at most gigs or even festivals. I think putting the blame on the band for not grabbing the audience's attention excuses the selfish impoliteness of those who disregard the enjoyment of those around them to talk shite. Loudly.

On 9/8/2019 at 4:09 PM, Chubby Dude in a Tiny Car said:

One thing I did notice, especially on the way out (rather obviously I guess) was that there were some properly fucked up people.

There was a woman who was asleep with here head in a bin, rubbish precariously stacked above her, fair play. 

Talkers were an issue but I still enjoyed myself. 

On 9/9/2019 at 7:55 PM, Pinhead said:

it's nothing to do with 'now'.

The crowd at Pilton Party have been like this for at least the last 20 years. 

1 hour ago, stuartbert two hats said:

"I didn't know who one of the bands were going to be, so unsurprisingly I'm not invested in their performance"

Unusually self aware for an inane chatter is Maisie.

To be fair, talkers weren't really a problem in Supergrass - the problem was with Wolf Alice.  If you pay £40 to see a band and don't want to be invested in their performance, that's absolutely fine by me, just try not to be TOO much of a dickhead to the people who do want to see the band.

Btw, Maisie apparently said to Darren that if he doesn't stop taking so much coke, she'll be making him piss in a cup in front of her 4 times a week. Very specific.

• Upvote 1

I suspect most people paid £30 to go to a party, Wolf Alice are not a party band as evidenced by the poor ticket sales for an event that usually sells out sharpish, they were a lull between the upbeat Supegrass set and the DJ at the end.

We go most years, see the same friends and always have a great time; the music is, to a large extent, secondary... the primary mission is to party!

2 minutes ago, Barney McGrew said:

I suspect most people paid £30 to go to a party, Wolf Alice are not a party band as evidenced by the poor ticket sales for an event that usually sells out sharpish, they were a lull between the upbeat Supegrass set and the DJ at the end.

We go most years, see the same friends and always have a great time; the music is, to a large extent, secondary... the primary mission is to party!

I'd totally agree with this. Fatboy Slim and Rudimental went down a treat a few years ago. Our group mostly use it as an opportunity to catch up, as we do with Glastonbury. I'll be interested to see what we get next year with the 50th coming up!

Just now, discgoesmic said:

I'd totally agree with this. Fatboy Slim and Rudimental went down a treat a few years ago. Our group mostly use it as an opportunity to catch up, as we do with Glastonbury. I'll be interested to see what we get next year with the 50th coming up!

Fatboy was nuts, that was a party!

2 hours ago, discgoesmic said:

Absolutely agree with this, WA were the wrong band to headline which is why my crowd didn't bother this year.

On ‎9‎/‎8‎/‎2019 at 4:09 PM, Chubby Dude in a Tiny Car said:

One thing I did notice, especially on the way out (rather obviously I guess) was that there were some properly fucked up people.

18 hours ago, Spindles said:

There was a woman who was asleep with here head in a bin, rubbish precariously stacked above her, fair play. 

Talkers were an issue but I still enjoyed myself. 

I've not had the pleasure of going to Pilton Party but I've always had the impression it was more of a village fete kind of vibe rather than properly fucked up people!

9 minutes ago, stuie said:

I've not had the pleasure of going to Pilton Party but I've always had the impression it was more of a village fete kind of vibe rather than properly fucked up people!

If your average village fete vibe is 5K+ people with a bag of booze each and a kicking sound system blaring out tunes into the night then I guess it is.

5 minutes ago, Barney McGrew said:

If your average village fete vibe is 5K+ people with a bag of booze each and a kicking sound system blaring out tunes into the night then I guess it is.

Sounds like a good village fete. 

I was saying I'd previously got the wrong impression about the event!