Spice Girls for 2020?

Skelts

On 8/7/2019 at 7:06 AM, eFestivals said:

she talked about it like she only had to get Posh sorted and it'll happen.

There seemed to be no thought that Glastonbury would actually have to want them too.

I think it's just her mouth running wild.

Looking at this years lineup, I'd say the Spice Girls have more leverage than Glastonbury

1 hour ago, UEF said:

Looking at this years lineup, I'd say the Spice Girls have more leverage than Glastonbury

That would imply the festival actually want them, and thankfully so far there's no indication of that whatsoever. This years lineup may have been a bit (ok, a lot) more "pop" than we'd seen in previous years, but trying to book the Spice Girls or a similar act in a major slot would still be a fairly unwelcome shift even further in that direction.

Meanwhile, one of their band members is clearly desperate to do it. As soon as someone tells her "You'll be third down and paid £150k between you" or something along those lines then the whole thing will go away.

26 minutes ago, incident said:

Meanwhile, one of their band members is clearly desperate to do it. As soon as someone tells her "You'll be third down and paid £150k between you" or something along those lines then the whole thing will go away.

Especially as she's trying to convince Posh to do it... who won't even get dressed for such a pittance!

2 hours ago, incident said:

That would imply the festival actually want them, and thankfully so far there's no indication of that whatsoever.

Except for all the newspapers reporting that they've been asked, straight from the horses mouth. I'm not saying newspapers don't lie, ever, but to say there's "no idication" is not quite right.

I bet Emily bloody loves them.

1 hour ago, bombfrog said:

I bet Emily bloody loves them.

Maybe... she was a teenage girl about the right time.  But I do get the impression she's more musically discerning these days.

On 8/5/2019 at 11:38 PM, Gnomicide said:

Yer Spice Girls are in the same vein as Take That, Westlife, Boyzone, Sugababes and the like. Surely no-one wants to see them there.

Agree with all except for TT. 

TT that align more with Kylie for me, particularly using @Quark 's earlier post as a reason for why, in that they have been banging out new tunes over a much longer time frame that the Spice Girls and have both the cheesy pop nostalgia early days and a few real anthemic, stadium filler tunes. They write their own material as well, which sets them apart from the others on the list. 

If the Spice Girls or any of those others you mentioned were there, i would be elsewhere on site. If it was TT - i would be all over it. 

2 hours ago, Gnomicide said:

Her favourite band were The Cure, not much cross over there. 

Quite. Emily is slightly too old to have been a tween Spice Girl mega fan. She would probably have been in the year below me at school, and whilst there were Take That fans my age, proper Spice Girl fans were younger.

I'm sure she enjoyed humming the hits as much as the rest of us, but there's nothing I've heard or read that suggests she bloody loves them.

7 hours ago, SouthbanKen said:

Agree with all except for TT. 

TT that align more with Kylie for me, particularly using @Quark 's earlier post as a reason for why, in that they have been banging out new tunes over a much longer time frame that the Spice Girls and have both the cheesy pop nostalgia early days and a few real anthemic, stadium filler tunes. They write their own material as well, which sets them apart from the others on the list. 

If the Spice Girls or any of those others you mentioned were there, i would be elsewhere on site. If it was TT - i would be all over it. 

They're a weird one. In one sense, they were definitely a short term thing. Two huge albums in rapid succession, then a huge flop* and nothing. Like Bros, but two albums instead of one.

But they were so huge, so pervasive. Like Oasis, just before the Internet turned up and weakened the mass media so that bands couldn't really have the same cultural dominance again. They were so bloody massive that despite having no staying power, or musical significance, they still seem to be quite a big deal. Or maybe it's just my age?

Question for those on these forums who don't remember Spicemania well or at all - I guess those under the age of 30 - what do you think of the Spice Girls? Do they mean anything to you?

* Huge flop is a relative measure. 4M is a lot of sales, but not compared to the previous records.

The problem with the Spice Girls, and what for me makes them unlikely to be at Glastonbury, is that you have to believe they’re more than they actually are to enjoy them. 

Look at their recent stadium tour. The set was amazing! The production, additional dancers, all the hype... but strip that all away (as you’d have to on the Farm) and you’ve got a fairly bland collection of successful pop songs considered better than they deserve to be, mainly courtesy of nostalgia. 

In a huge stadium production with all the bells and whistles and thousands of hardcore fans who want to be there, they can get away with it. Stuck in the middle of a schedule of talented bands and musical artists, I reckon not.

The best they could hope for is that the spirit and merriment of the Sunday afternoon slot would give them enough cover to bash through their hits before anyone thinks ‘hang on, this isn’t actually that good, is it. ‘

• Upvote 1

Take That

stadiums, massive teen fans grown up now, nostalgia and vaguely contemporary, multi generational appeal, blah blah blah, but: 

and here’s the crux of my argument: 

gary bloody barlow. 

So that’s it then, game set and match, they can’t ever play because barlow. 

Edited by balti-pie

9 minutes ago, balti-pie said:

Take That

stadiums, massive teen fans grown up now, nostalgia and vaguely contemporary, multi generational appeal, blah blah blah, but: 

and here’s the crux of my argument: 

gary bloody barlow. 

So that’s it then, game set and match, they can’t ever play because barlow. 

This. I've mentioned this before but I missed most of The Zombies because I was sitting on a bench at the Avalon Inn ranting to someone, who had suggested Take That should play, what a massive Tory twat Barlow is. We all had a great time.

11 hours ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Quite. Emily is slightly too old to have been a tween Spice Girl mega fan. She would probably have been in the year below me at school, and whilst there were Take That fans my age, proper Spice Girl fans were younger.

I'm sure she enjoyed humming the hits as much as the rest of us, but there's nothing I've heard or read that suggests she bloody loves them.

I might have this wrong but I seem to remember EE going to see Spice Girls on their last tour? 

On 8/9/2019 at 12:04 PM, eFestivals said:

where? I can't remember seeing anything like that.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/event/article-7309755/Mel-B-tells-finally-contentment.html

She didn’t want to do it. She missed out.’ She pauses. ‘But my plan is for all five of us to do Glastonbury next year for the 50th anniversary. I’m in the process of persuading Victoria to do it. And I will make it happen.

Just reiterating what was said on The One Show, but I’m not sure she’d be making all these overtures if there was no realistic prospect of it happening. If they wanna do it, can’t see the Eavii turning them down - would be a huge catch 

They’l probs be the first act announced for 2020 as there is clearly no desire to keep it secret. It’s got out pretty far since the comments were made public, and I’ve been chatting to random punters this weekend at boom and “well it’s spice girls next year innit?” seems to be a running theme. 

I’d be quite shocked if they didn’t appear. Usually when an act makes it public that they would like to play the festival it’s another way of saying “I’m booked but I can’t say it”. Or “we would absolutely love to be there, give us the call!”

I know there have been plenty of times where acts have said that and not appeared but usually if they do make a comment like that it’s a good sign there is some traction.