Spice Girls for 2020?

Skelts

Just now, Hugh Jass said:

How many hardcore Dolly/Lionel/Kylie fans go to Glastonbury?

People flock to things they know.

I disagree with the "flock to things they know" thing as any way to work things; if you go with that then Glastonbury ultimately ends up as a crap pop fest as that's the most popular.

Dolly is a legend; Kylie is a national treasure and with Glasto history; not quite sure why Lionel worked - he doesn't have quite the same things going on - but he's something more than lowest-common denominator crap pop.

The Spice Girls are the Spice Girls.  They're hugely popular with the types who bought tickets for them this summer but in general that's a very different crowd to Glastonbury.

Even so there'd be plenty in the Glastonbury crowd who go and see them - particularly of a certain age - but they don't have the same broad appeal.

Yep, as usual, @eFestivals has nailed it there. 

I do think there’s a difference between Kylie and The Spice Girls. People who weren’t into Kylie playing Glastonbury were at least pretty ambivalent about her, whereas I think the Spice Girls, while undoubtedly getting a big crowd, would actively antagonise some people as a booking. I’m not sure why, but I do think the reaction would be quite different. 

4 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

I disagree with the "flock to things they know" thing as any way to work things; if you go with that then Glastonbury ultimately ends up as a crap pop fest as that's the most popular.

Dolly is a legend; Kylie is a national treasure and with Glasto history; not quite sure why Lionel worked - he doesn't have quite the same things going on - but he's something more than lowest-common denominator crap pop.

The Spice Girls are the Spice Girls.  They're hugely popular with the types who bought tickets for them this summer but in general that's a very different crowd to Glastonbury.

Even so there'd be plenty in the Glastonbury crowd who go and see them - particularly of a certain age - but they don't have the same broad appeal.

The only way we can resolve this is to get them booked and count the numbers. Otherwise we’re just debating hypotheticals. 

I think people do flock to things they know, people will go and see big name acts at Glastonbury they would never pay to see at their own gigs, I’m terrible for it. For me the equation is simple - the legend slot has become in recent years the staple for a big mainstream pop party. The Spice Girls encapsulate that, they have a bigger profile (IMO) than Kylie, Dolly & Lionel and people will go to see them because they are a huge name.

(I’m not even sure how or why I’m arguing this as I’d never see them anyway!)

The sunday slot is hyped as a kind of sing along thing with the dance moves set out before ... much as I dont feel quite the same for them as I have for kylie /lionel/dolly ..... I would probably still say ill be there :) ..... I do wish they would play it down until after october though 

People who are between 20 and 35 now (probably prime Glastonbury age gap) were kids when Spice mania was at its peak. So yeah there's probably far more Spice Girls stans than Lionel and Dolly stans tbh. I don't know if they could outclass Kylie though, she's been pumping out monster hits pretty solidly since the 80s. And everybody knows that most of the Spice Girls can't sing and dance for shit, most of their songs are naff and they're only really in it for the money. Kylie is fully doing it for the love of it, and is a real performer, and has a back catalogue that serves up both cheese and legit formidable gems.

But all that considered, never underestimate the millennial irony crowd. Especially when they're one day 5 of a massive bender.

Edited by GETOFFAMYLAWN

Kylie's had some peaks and troughs and quiet patches, but she's been going relatively consistently (if not frequently) for 30 years. She's tried different things, reinvented herself and released some tracks that are stone cold classics without being just cheesy nostalgia fests (although she has a fair few of those too). She has generally come across as someone who loves her fans, loves performing, and is generally a seemingly nice person. Her appearance this year was also on the back of a previously cancelled appearance, so it carried a fair bit of emotional weight as well.

The Spice Girls had 2 years before Geri left, and another 2 before the whole thing finished. To be honest, in that time  they were one or two trick ponies. They churned out some tunes in that time, but not exactly a massive variety. Reunions since then have been short lived wet farts, and pretty much perceived as for the cash. Nothing they've done since '98 remotely sticks in the memory, and I'd say they've got 8 songs tops that would be recognised. And as I'm feeling particularly cynical, I'd say they see Glastonbury purely as a credibility / visibility booster.

They can book them if they want, I'll just go somewhere else. But it wouldn't impress me in the least.

EDIT: I recognise that they wouldn't be the only band to play for exposure, I'm not that naive. But that's more in the comparison to Kylie. That and the fact that they seem to appear once every few years like a clown out of the sewer to feed before pissing off again 

Edited by Quark
  • Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, Quark said:

Kylie's had some peaks and troughs and quiet patches, but she's been going relatively consistently (if not frequently) for 30 years. She's tried different things, reinvented herself and released some tracks that are stone cold classics without being just cheesy nostalgia fests (although she has a fair few of those too). She has generally come across as someone who loves her fans, loves performing, and is generally a seemingly nice person. Her appearance this year was also on the back of a previously cancelled appearance, so it carried a fair bit of emotional weight as well.

The Spice Girls had 2 years before Geri left, and another 2 before the whole thing finished. To be honest, in that time  they were one or two trick ponies. They churned out some tunes in that time, but not exactly a massive variety. Reunions since then have been short lived wet farts, and pretty much perceived as for the cash. Nothing they've done since '98 remotely sticks in the memory, and I'd say they've got 8 songs tops that would be recognised. And as I'm feeling particularly cynical, I'd say they see Glastonbury purely as a credibility / visibility booster.

They can book them if they want, I'll just go somewhere else. But it wouldn't impress me in the least.

EDIT: I recognise that they wouldn't be the only band to play for exposure, I'm not that naive. But that's more in the comparison to Kylie. That and the fact that they seem to appear once every few years like a clown out of the sewer to feed before pissing off again 

Hello Shania...

I certainly don't. Can't see any popularity or fanbase for them nowadays apart from drunk middle aged mums who stumble along dragging their not so keen teenage daughters along with them.

Not classy, shit music and not even cheesy enough to get the ironic "let's go for a laugh" crowd in.

Edited by Cooter

I’m quite surprised at the negative reaction here. To me they were always destined to play the festival at some point. When I think of legendary UK acts they are definitely on the list. They were seriously big and they are beyond a household name. 

I understand that cheesy pop always gets a bit frowned upon but I’m a bit perplexed what some users on here think about the legends slot. I didn’t realise the tea time slot was a showcase for a highly credible artist? If I saw Lionel perform the exact same set at night time I probably would have left. However, suns out and having a beer with my mates it was fantastic?

I thought the tea time spot was supposed to be the least chin strokey set at the festival? I think a couple of cheesy but fun pop acts across the weekend helps balance the lineup. 

I'm not sure how they would fit in anywhere, and broadcasting it openly this early on could be a huge nail in the coffin for them 

I'm not a fan of Kylie but could see the appeal, bit not so for the Spice girls.

I fear this would undermine what the festival is about and could look a bit desperate  and can't see the huge crowds that previous groups had garnered in the past .

This will be my last try for tickets this year as I want to try different things  , it wouldn't stop me going but I for one wouldn't bother pithing up , I find them irritating at best .

I. did take my youngest and her friends to see them the first time round but I stayed in the car for a couple of hours !!

Spice Girls would pull an absolutely ginormous crowd - easily one of the biggest the festival has seen. Do they fit the usual legend slot criteria? Not really, but it's probably where they'd end up purely because it'd make the most sense and because there's really nowhere else for them to go. I doubt it'd be a sign of things to come for future acts in that slot though. I suppose a lot of people would prefer if it stayed an old dinosaur slot rather than the cheesy sing along slot it's become since Dolly, but ultimately it's been far more successful in it's latter form and the well of the former is starting to run dry. Whittle their current setlist down to an hour and fifteen (could probably even knock off that fifteen tbh...) and it'd be a non stop nostalgia fuelled sing along. Elton/Fleetwood Mac/Kinks/another can fill the quota for those wanting that old timey fix I'm sure.

22 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

Spice Girls would pull an absolutely ginormous crowd - easily one of the biggest the festival has seen. Do they fit the usual legend slot criteria? Not really, but it's probably where they'd end up purely because it'd make the most sense and because there's really nowhere else for them to go. I doubt it'd be a sign of things to come for future acts in that slot though. I suppose a lot of people would prefer if it stayed an old dinosaur slot rather than the cheesy sing along slot it's become since Dolly, but ultimately it's been far more successful in it's latter form and the well of the former is starting to run dry. Whittle their current setlist down to an hour and fifteen (could probably even knock off that fifteen tbh...) and it'd be a non stop nostalgia fuelled sing along. Elton/Fleetwood Mac/Kinks/another can fill the quota for those wanting that old timey fix I'm sure.

But... But... But... It would signal the end of Glastonbury as we know it!