Mercury Prize

The life of Pablo

Mercury Prize 2019  

105 members have voted

1. 1. Who should win

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 09/18/2019 at 04:00 PM

8 minutes ago, Billjames7 said:

Very strong year this year. Hoping idles or little simz win but also happy if Fontaines, Dave or goals win. No idea what that black midi performance was about - very odd! 

Thought Black Midi were mega, couldn't take my eyes off them. They just keep getting better live and they were brilliant when I saw them in January.

Really wanted Dave to win this amongst an incredibly strong field this year.

Love the feel of punk and grime on the up this year. It made it one of my most interesting Glastonburies in many years and it was tremendous to see it reflected in this prize list.

On 7/25/2019 at 7:37 PM, The Nal said:

Bands have to pay the Mercury Awards for their album to be considered for this load of old shite.

Baffles me every year. Has done for 25 years.  

"Awards" for music is fucking weird.

Always found artists putting so much stock into these bullshit award shows to be pretty off putting. What's the value of them? There isn't, it's a bunch of grey old pricks who know nothing trying to make money for sponsors. Surely you make art to try and connect with an audience, these shows remove the audience from the question entirely and frame art as a competition where whichever anonymous dorks decide the awards become the ultimate arbiters of what's good. Tedious bullshit and I always lose a little bit of respect when even the best of the best like Kendrick get really drawn in to them.