Do you feel "your time is up"?

IntoTheWhite

My time is coming. I thought '17 was me done. For whatever reason, not the festival's fault, my head simply didn't deal with it and I was ready to walk away. Then I saw The Cure were a solid rumour for this year not long before t-day and decided I had one more left in me. I'll be in the scrum in October but I'm pretty sure it will be for the last time. And if it turns out The Cure were the very last act I see on the Pyramid, I couldn't think of a finer set to end on so I'm all good.

9 minutes ago, The Nal said:

You'll all be sweating like Josef Fritzl on MTV Cribs come T-Day in October, you fucking crowd of drama queens. 

Brilliant!

Out of upvotes.

33 minutes ago, scaryclaireyfairy said:

My time is coming. I thought '17 was me done. For whatever reason, not the festival's fault, my head simply didn't deal with it and I was ready to walk away. Then I saw The Cure were a solid rumour for this year not long before t-day and decided I had one more left in me. I'll be in the scrum in October but I'm pretty sure it will be for the last time. And if it turns out The Cure were the very last act I see on the Pyramid, I couldn't think of a finer set to end on so I'm all good.

Pretty much exactly what I have been saying since leaving the festival this year :)

Been to every one since '03, but I'm no longer bothered about going every year. Haven't been bothered for a few years now. If getting tickets was easy, I'd have had a few years off, but the way I see it, getting tickets to every one since 2003 is hugely lucky, and that luck will run out. At some point the ticket gods will go "no, not this year" and that'll fine. I'm not going to scavenge around for other ways in or even bother with the resale. But I'll try for tickets every year and keep going if I get them. Because I could voluntarily skip a year and not get tickets the next three for all I know.

1 hour ago, The Nal said:

This is like when people say they're packing in Facebook and Twitter and are back posting 48 hours later.

You'll all be sweating like Josef Fritzl on MTV Cribs come T-Day in October, you fucking crowd of drama queens. 

Uncontrollably laughing at my desk right now, fuckin hell ?

I’ve been every year bar one since 1995 , it’s changed massively since back then. Do I ever see myself not going hell no. I still get the same daft smile when get to the gate . Or when we visit friends in Pilton and walk site. 

Each time we go there’s new people in the group who add something else to the weekend. For it’s just ace. 

I thought that '17 would be my last and really didn't fancy it this year - ho-hum lineup (sorry) and thunderous rain predicted for every day of the festival... still, I went but promised myself I'd go home if I wasn't happy.

Well look what we got?

Edited by UEF

Musically there's not that much going on for me at Glastonbury any more - this year I only saw about 6 bands (wheras the lineup for Green Man this year is basically wall-to-wall my musical taste for three full days). However I don't think that will stop me going. I enjoy the 'other stuff' much more than I enjoy standing about watching a mediocre indie band on the John Peel...

2019 is the last year I go by train though.  I'm still suffering with the bruise I got from falling up the stairs for the overbridge at Castle Cary lugging all my kit.

Edited by pie_and_a_pint

5 hours ago, Matt42 said:

don’t convince yourself that it’s wrong to have an annual event on your calendar. Go until you physically can’t anymore.

This exactly, I'm 50 this year and about to get a tattoo of my favourite place which will include the year 1987 but no finishing year. My kids have promised me they'll push me around in a wheelchair if I can't physically walk around site.

• Upvote 1

I wonder - how does one achieve not looking like a drama queen, whilst also hiding the fact that your a big girls blouse, as well? This is going to be a tough nut to crack, this one.

It has to start somewhere, so it started back there. So, why don't I feel like I've made any progress, I wonder? Oh bollocks, we all know that the last time I was at Glastonbury was when they sold hedgehog flavoured crisps in shops. I haven't been in years, and don't give too much of a fuck about it. However, there is a not so dormant part of me that says ' Go next year, if possible, in order to celebrate it's 50th, as well as to celebrate my total retirement from the festival. It's not my festival anymore. It's too big, and I'm too old. However, I'd really welcome the opportunity to say goodbye to it in person, and also to say hello to some of you c**ts! lol

• Upvote 1

Absolutely believe it has more magic than any other place I’ve seen. 

For me it comes down to the people. Met three gems this year, two at their first festival and one at their second. All early 20’s.  Loved hanging out with them. Good company to be found if you look for it. Had a blast with some over 60’s there too who had volunteered with Oxfam. Had me rolling around laughing.

I’m mid 30’s. 

I’ll be there as long at Worthy Farm will have me :) 

I hope it continues to attract a diverse crowd.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, The Nal said:

This is like when people say they're packing in Facebook and Twitter and are back posting 48 hours later.

:hi:

cap doffed

21 hours ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

I honestly believe that if you want to experience the true, underlying, vibe that the vale possesses, then you need to spend some time up the Tor, when the festival isn't on. The waves of history it has witnessed, the drama, the people, time its very self etc, all hit you, and it hits you hard. I was given a choice when I experienced that - it could easily have been a negative experience, but fortunately wasn't. Yes, I did realise how puny my own life was, yes I did find the 'flow' of emotions harrowing a little, but greater than those forces was that I 'knew' what it was to be alive at that moment, in that place, at that time. And it was indeed quite cosmic.

Anyway, this is for you - you big hippy;

Image result for hippies + sayings

Peace & Love

Yog

Thanks Yog. 

Will have to take a trip up the Tor. I was tempted this year, as I passed it on my way home. I didn't. I was bolloxed. 

I do get what you're saying about visiting though, and may well take a detour on my way home from West Cornwall next week. This for me is another beautiful, spiritual hub. Blimey the stories those Quoits and standing stones could tell. 

p. s. I'm definitely a smiler. 

Paolo. 

9 minutes ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

Hello Paolo,

Well, I hope you do get to go up there, either next week, or later. Take it in - all of it. Don't jump off your surf board and run with the ride. Feel the spiritualism, feel the lay lines, feel the ancient past, feel the present, 'feel', just 'feel'.

All the best. :)

Good evening Yog. 

On quick reflection, you're probably right about visiting the Tor later. Kind of doesn't sit well with me to just walk up look around, sit down for a bit and bugger off. Disrespectful. 

Anyway. Cornwall. Yeah, very spiritual for me, especially the far west of the county. Have been lucky enough to take a week down there for the past decade or so. Small village, with a inn and small basic campsite next to it. Perfect. Know that it's the sights, sounds and smells that I absorb during my walks either along the coast path or inland over the moors and ancient woodland that leave my soul full to bursting. Spiritually, its the best high ?

I plan on 'dropping off my surf board' for 16 hrs or so. 

Best wishes, 

Paolo. 

1 minute ago, IntoTheWhite said:

Good evening Yog. 

On quick reflection, you're probably right about visiting the Tor later. Kind of doesn't sit well with me to just walk up look around, sit down for a bit and bugger off. Disrespectful. 

Anyway. Cornwall. Yeah, very spiritual for me, especially the far west of the county. Have been lucky enough to take a week down there for the past decade or so. Small village, with a inn and small basic campsite next to it. Perfect. Know that it's the sights, sounds and smells that I absorb during my walks either along the coast path or inland over the moors and ancient woodland that leave my soul full to bursting. Spiritually, its the best high ?

I plan on 'dropping off my surf board' for 16 hrs or so. 

Best wishes, 

Paolo. 

Sounds like a good plan Paolo. 

Not sure if it's close to where you are going, but The Lost Gardens Heligan are incredible, and well worth a visit.

Have a fab time next week.

13 hours ago, faymondo said:

Took my daughter when she was 12 a few years back. She will be nearly 16 next year and wants to go again. I have told her she can when she is 18. I just could not switch off if she was 16 and she came with us and had a bit of freedom. The joy of Glastonbury for me is for 5 days I can switch off from the outside world.

Again even when she is 18 not sure I could switch off  as a parent if I also attended so that might be the time for me to hang my Glastonbury wellies up ??

I feel like a bad parent now!  I first went with my daughter when she was just 18 and was fairly relaxed and switched off.  Never occurred to me to worry!  Though she is very sensible and was with her brother or cousin when not with me.  

I love Glasto and am not going to give up on it til it gives up on me.  But at the same time, if I don't get a ticket I hope to take the opportunity to discover a new festival instead.  I know nothing is the same but I've found for instance that Bearded Theory is different but just as enjoyable.

Part of the reason though for not giving up is that at the end of each festival I am gutted by what I didn't do - and want to have the opportunity to see it all!

• Upvote 2

There’s still the pier to see ... Pangeas evolvement ... ribbon tower to climb ... Rabbit hole to try ... watch a park headliner .. try out the temple ... show my 75 year old parents about who are thinking of the Sunday next year along with my sister her husband and Neice who are trying for the first time ... I did think the 50th might be one that might change things and it will in a way as my long-standing festival friend is talking about bringing his daughter maybe just on the Sunday so this will obviously have an impact ... there’s a few years left in me yet 

Such a hard one to call for me...2017 was so difficult with dodgy hips and got frustrated with myself feeling down some of the time and made a mistake of booking WV..it rendered me out all day as I couldn't do the hill more than necessary

Ticket day and the frenzy starts again, although this year the line up wasn't great for me so wasn't too dis heartened about being ticketless.

I will be the same in October and probably every ticket day in the future , it's the thrill of the chase that spurs me on 

I do hope I get lucky for the 50th but my biggest problem is the extra capacity that has occurred ...I think this will be one step too far for me ...so I hope I get to say goodbye on it's 50th but as my time for holidays is restricted it will have to be my last time I think.

I have lots of other things I want to see and I'll be nearly 56 .

I was so looking forward to Ramblin Man this year but sadly became poorly so couldn't make it ,so depending on what happens it will be the odd small festival or different experiences .

From going to Reading in 1980 and to end with GF on it's 50th then I'm happy with that 

• Like 1

I was close to stopping going a couple of years ago, but then a good friend who was the same age as me died very suddenly (that completely random sudden death syndrome), which has had the impact on me of making a lot of my decisions based on 'well if this was my last year alive, would I want to do this or not'. So I think for me I'll just decide each year just before ticket day, and see what feels right.

I think  in the past, stopping going used to scare me because it became not about 'do I want to go or not', but instead got wrapped up in feelings of my identity, and suddenly no longer going represented some sort of scary life change/move into an older phase of my life. I don't really feel any of that anymore- I will be me whether I'm at the festival or not, and if I do decide to stop going, I can always try to go back if I ever change my mind. That made the decision making a lot simpler for me.

Edited by Mr.Tease
  • Upvote 1

Looking at a few responses on here ...by no means a scientific survey it seems like quite a few people are looking at the 50th as a last festival ... I wonder if this will therefore make ticket buying a bit easier after that ... and therefore lots of these hardcore goers will end up going anyway because of this