Do you feel "your time is up"?

IntoTheWhite

Hello to all who frequent this forum. 

Just a few lines to say "i'me tired". I first went as a stary'ed eyed 16 year youth in 83.Brilliant and horrendous at the same time (my fault for the horrendous). Vowed, I'd never go back....... 

However. Years pass by, courting, marriage, children and a routine life set in, all the while, still luckily enough to stay friends with those you attended. with,albeit living in different parts of the country /world. 

We as a group have been fortunate enough to get tickets for the last 6 festivals and have had a blast, catching up and reliving our youth (without the added stimulai). This last festival being a highlight, musically wise. HOWEVER, and this is my own personal opinion only. I feel like the festival has lost its way. Its now a 24 Hr carnival. I appreciate that it has to appeal to all, and I may be older (not wiser), but I feel like the majority are there to tick a box, they don't realise that they are in the Vale of Avalon, in a hub of lay lines and a truly beautiful, spiritual place. 

I don't know. Maybe i'me a idealistic hippy, who's time is up and should realise this. 

I think at the end of the above drivel, is that I, we have been blessed with visiting a very special, sacred place. Forget the music, did you feel the spirit. I certainly did again on my last festival. 

Love Paolo x. 

11 minutes ago, IntoTheWhite said:

This last festival being a highlight, musically wise. HOWEVER, and this is my own personal opinion only. I feel like the festival has lost its way. Its now a 24 Hr carnival. I appreciate that it has to appeal to all, and I may be older (not wiser), but I feel like the majority are there to tick a box, they don't realise that they are in the Vale of Avalon, in a hub of lay lines and a truly beautiful, spiritual place. 

And yet, you only go when the festival is on? There’s no magic, atmosphere the festival creates is the beauty.

• Upvote 1

I honestly believe that if you want to experience the true, underlying, vibe that the vale possesses, then you need to spend some time up the Tor, when the festival isn't on. The waves of history it has witnessed, the drama, the people, time its very self etc, all hit you, and it hits you hard. I was given a choice when I experienced that - it could easily have been a negative experience, but fortunately wasn't. Yes, I did realise how puny my own life was, yes I did find the 'flow' of emotions harrowing a little, but greater than those forces was that I 'knew' what it was to be alive at that moment, in that place, at that time. And it was indeed quite cosmic.

Anyway, this is for you - you big hippy;

Image result for hippies + sayings

Peace & Love

Yog

• Upvote 4

Took my daughter when she was 12 a few years back. She will be nearly 16 next year and wants to go again. I have told her she can when she is 18. I just could not switch off if she was 16 and she came with us and had a bit of freedom. The joy of Glastonbury for me is for 5 days I can switch off from the outside world.

Again even when she is 18 not sure I could switch off  as a parent if I also attended so that might be the time for me to hang my Glastonbury wellies up ??

I feel like I should opt for some more comfort; be that campervan, Worthy View or whatever the other options are. I don't drive though so I'm always relying on others. Camping in that heat really took it out of me this time, felt like I wasted the last two nights to an extent just due to been exhausted.

Having said that, when it comes down to it every year I'm just so grateful about getting a ticket - all the above ends up going out of the window and I just do the same thing I've done for the last 8 years

8 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

I might consider a hiatus until my kids are old enough to come too.

Now that the "imperious" phase seems to have passed it's not as vital as it was ten years ago. Especially for those of us with kids and no childcare.

42 minutes ago, faymondo said:

Took my daughter when she was 12 a few years back. She will be nearly 16 next year and wants to go again. I have told her she can when she is 18. I just could not switch off if she was 16 and she came with us and had a bit of freedom. The joy of Glastonbury for me is for 5 days I can switch off from the outside world.

Again even when she is 18 not sure I could switch off  as a parent if I also attended so that might be the time for me to hang my Glastonbury wellies up ??

I go with a group that includes my daughter (been going since she was 18), and their mates look out for each other and failing that her older brother is around!

I'm going to keep going until I'm so crusty and old that I can't walk the site.

• Upvote 3

Never. As long as the festival is still going. As long as it is still a festival for all ages and tastes. As long as the "Love" is still the vibe and it keeps its hippy roots. 

I will still be there when im 80.... if im alive. Hell, the festival helps keep you young. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 4

I have felt a little like this over the last few years, but that said, 2019 was my best for 10 years easily!

On the arrival of kids it took awhile to except we wont' be able to go every year (mainly down to £) - but since I've accepted that I feel happy enough knowing we will go as often as we can. But, it no longer dictates every other decision regarding money and holidays etc like it did in my 20's. 

I've not missed a year since I first went and although I've now got the feeling that it's not the be all and end all, I still can't imagine myself not being there when it's on.

Some of my group have already decided that they aren't going next year - with a limit to the amount of festivals they can do they are opting for Noisily and Houghton. 

I had a great year this year - I was with great friends, it was scorching, no mud, everything was perfect but it wasn't my best festival experience of the year.

Has it lost some of it's magic? 

Have I lost some of my magic?

I don't think so.

I think I've just reassessed what a festival means to me and it's no longer biggest is best - that applies to music line up too.

• Like 1

Yep, going to try for tickets for next year, but after that, i reckon i’m probably done. Or at least, it’ll be of less importance than now, and if I miss a few, i’ll not grieve.

2 hours ago, Hugh Jass said:

I might consider a hiatus until my kids are old enough to come too.

Thats what I did, kids have been coming since they were 18 (22&26 now) we spend time with each other when tastes align & otherwise do our own thing. They are as obsessed as me & more of their friends go each year. One of them said to my eldest this year

"How old are your dad & his mate?"

"57"

"Will you promise we will both  still be coming when we are 57?"

"Of course"

Made me smile, my time will be up only when I cant cope physically any more.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 5

36 minutes ago, Giraffe Man said:

Thats what I did, kids have been coming since they were 18 (22&26 now) we spend time with each other when tastes align & otherwise do our own thing. They are as obsessed as me & more of their friends go each year. One of them said to my eldest this year

"57"

"Of course"

That's the Glasto bug they have there... I think its incurable myself. I dont think there is a day in the year me or friends are not talking about it... There isnt a day that goes by that I dont wish I was there. 

• Upvote 1

I definitely have many, many years of going left in me yet - decades in fact.

I may have to have a couple of years off after 2021 (if I’m lucky enough to get tickets for the next 2) as I reckon we’ll probably have a baby then and I think the effort of taking a baby to any festival would be enough to convince me to have a couple of years off.

Refreshed ready for 2023 :D 

1 hour ago, Giraffe Man said:

"57"

"Of course"

Wow - mine are 22 + 25 and I'm 57!! And all obsessed too. Plus bringing more friends.

• Upvote 1

After going to the last 4 I will be trying for tickets in October but am feeling relaxed about outcome. This year was so good I feel that I will be able to live off its glow for a good while yet if ticket gods are unkind. 

Previous obsession does seem to have waned and its time to look for new experiences.

Absolutely definitely not quitting!

On 14 in a row and 2019 was probably the best, not losing it's allure for me at all. This is partly because I've adapted over the years to make the festival just right for me and my age. (From tent to CV, mainly avoiding huge crowds, less drinking, etc).

The only clock that's ticking is that there must be an age, or fitness, that makes Glastonbury less realistic, until that time I'm 100% determined not to miss a year. I'll work in 2020 if necessary to be there.

• Upvote 1