Do you feel "your time is up"?

IntoTheWhite

8 hours ago, clarkete said:

I bet you'll finish before me

I'd like to take you up on your betting offer, but I can't. The thing is, you see, I'm humming and harring about it all. I mean, should I? Should I really? OK, I will. OK, maybe that was a bit too hasty. Maybe I was wrong to bring out the bravado card too soon. I ought though, oughtn't I? I'm really think that's for the best. Or is it? The thing is I'll never know unless I make that bet. Or, maybe there's another way that I could find out. How could that be, I wonder.............................................................................  

Do you see what I mean? 

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Tommy Dickfingers said:

Glastonbury 2017 was a mega struggle for me for the first time since I’d started going in 2013 I wondered was it worth the toll it takes on me. 

It’s taken me 2 years since and 3 big festivals (not counting smaller ones) to realise my better days are behind me and I can’t do it like I used to. I’m 28. Might seem extreme but I need to have a rethink how I do these festivals because I don’t want to stop going.

In 2018 I went to Primavera, it was different to Glastonbury surely it was easier? I convinced myself between a proper bed and showers I wouldn’t struggle in the slightest walking/dancing around all day and night ploughing myself with drugs and ale. I was wrong. I struggled, I really struggled. My body felt like I’d be beaten up the night before every morning I woke up, it took me longer and longer each day to have a pint or even consider doing any drugs. I became very moody, I couldn’t be arsed doing anything.

I put it down to size of the place, the heat, the chilled out atmosphere that felt a hit too safe but deep down I knew I couldn’t hack it like I used to.

2019 Glastonbury comes around. I can’t wait, I’ve waited 2 bloody summers for this. Looked to be a classic year, maybe the best ever. No rain forecast and the best group of friends coming I think we’d ever managed.

In the run up to the festival I was fighting with HMRC for a tax rebate and waiting to see if my mortgage was confirmed for completion on 1st of July. Everything came together in the last week before the festival. I had money, time off, no responsibilities, a new job lined up for a week after I got back. I honestly didn’t have a care in the world. 

Same things that happened at Primavera kept on happening, I couldn’t be arsed, I was mega tired, I was moody, I was way to hot. Even the things that were my must sees I sometimes couldn’t be arsed with. I began to wonder was I getting too old to be bang at it 5 days and nights? Was I too unfit? Was it just not as exciting as it used to be? I had some brilliant moments but I struggled for lots of it physically and mentally. 

I put it down to extreme heat and an unfortunate incident that left me sharing a tent that wasn’t really big enough for me let alone anyone else, it wouldn’t be that hot next time and I’m bringing a bigger tent. I had Dekmantel around the corner that’s an easier festival, bed, showers, small site.

Dekmantel comes around had an amazing time Thursday and Friday, struggled a bit Saturday but got on fine in the end. I began to wonder what I was so worried previously about until Sunday came around. Didn’t get on site until around 4:30, struggled to get going until Palms Trax who was the headliner. I thought one last push went to the night venue. Had one drink felt like a zombie sweating my head off knackered body aching all over. I went to go for a sit down felt even worse decided to just fuck off back the hotel. Couldn’t sleep at all that night decided I was done with every festival ever, done with drinking and definitely done with drugs.

It’s only been past week I’ve felt up to even thinking about Glastonbury again. I’m gonna go 2020 as long as I can get a ticket but I’m gonna have to change my ways.

Before I go I need to be fit. I haven’t been fit since 2015 to be honest. I’m gonna have to get a proper bed be it in the form of a bigger tent, worthy view of camper van. I need more sleep, pace myself and sit down a lot more.

Has anyone else felt in a similar boat to me? You can’t run on empty in your late 20’s in my opinion. 

I like the honesty and content in your post. 

I can't reply myself right now, as I need to dash off. 

All the best.