Do you feel "your time is up"?

IntoTheWhite

9 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Yeah it's starting to get me too... the last couple of years I've wondered if my time might be up soon on occasion but after this year I was just so unbelievably sad it was over. Have struggled to watch much on TV or come here much in July. Actual tears on the Monday morning. I guess my time is far from up.

It does get harder though as old friends drop out and life changes. But for the foreseeable I can't see me not trying for tickets. Having missed one year I know I can survive missing one if needs be, but to not even attempt it when you never know when your last might be? Not there yet.

I too was so sad when it was over, seemed to go so quickly, also found it hard to listen to some of the bands I saw in the weeks after the fest, a Jungle track was playing in a shop and happy tears started streaming down my face, I felt so silly, was such a great year I just can’t imagine not trying for next time.  

Charm x

Roughly 35 festivals and counting. Never said never again. Don't be old before your time.

Why would anyone pass on the Greatest Party on Earth? Never Lost my Way.....GettyImages-117484517_glastonbury_2000-1

Edited by bamber
I thought of som-ting!

I know this may be easier said than done but if you can drop the narcs, it is still a blast and the comedown is way more tolerable.

i was 50 last month and made a commitment a few years ago to only have the odd pipe of weed. Very occasional.  This has been a challenge as have been dabbling with stuff since 14/15 years of age.  Butane gas onto weed onto mushrooms (picked from the sports pitch and then straight on a chip barm with extra vinegar from the chippy opposite) onto acid tabs onto pills.  Being 19 in Manchester in 1988 was only going one way.

Then came “The Leftfield Moment” at Beatherder 3 years ago.  It was beautiful and horrendous in equal measure and without going into all the details, my wife thought I was going to die, I had to eat soup for three days and the comedown took a week. Horrendous. Absolutely horrendous. We had some deep discussions about life, my responsible career, the family etc etc and the towel was thrown in.

This year at Pilton, I was on my own for the week working with WaterAid.  I say on my own... I went on my own but you ain’t on your own for long.  I travelled down on the train on Monday with the bare minimum kit wise and a 2 litre bottle of Aldi brandy for filling the hip flask. Met a pal in Glastonbury town on the Monday and did an all dayer in the pubs and watched the sunset from the Tor with a bag of Thatchers.  Slept at Paddington Farm in a tent Monday night and the straight to the festival early Tuesday.

spent the next 6 days having one of the best weeks of my life and managed to flamethrower the candle at both ends just on ale and brandy. Just a brilliant week and was still in the SE corner at 4 on the Monday morning.  Averaged about 3 or 4 hours kip a day for a week. With zero narcs.

My key point is... I felt fantastic on the Wednesday following. Tuesday was a write off mostly as was catching up on the missed sleep but was in work on the Wednesday with the only after affects being a massive smile and some amazing crew wrist bands on my wrist to giggle at in shite meetings.

if you think your time is up, it is maybe your lifestyle that needs adjusting a little. Don’t ditch the festivals. Ditch the stuff that makes you feel shite.

• Upvote 5

17 minutes ago, Jay Pee said:

I know this may be easier said than done but if you can drop the narcs, it is still a blast and the comedown is way more tolerable.

i was 50 last month and made a commitment a few years ago to only have the odd pipe of weed. Very occasional.  This has been a challenge as have been dabbling with stuff since 14/15 years of age.  Butane gas onto weed onto mushrooms (picked from the sports pitch and then straight on a chip barm with extra vinegar from the chippy opposite) onto acid tabs onto pills.  Being 19 in Manchester in 1988 was only going one way.

Then came “The Leftfield Moment” at Beatherder 3 years ago.  It was beautiful and horrendous in equal measure and without going into all the details, my wife thought I was going to die, I had to eat soup for three days and the comedown took a week. Horrendous. Absolutely horrendous. We had some deep discussions about life, my responsible career, the family etc etc and the towel was thrown in.

This year at Pilton, I was on my own for the week working with WaterAid.  I say on my own... I went on my own but you ain’t on your own for long.  I travelled down on the train on Monday with the bare minimum kit wise and a 2 litre bottle of Aldi brandy for filling the hip flask. Met a pal in Glastonbury town on the Monday and did an all dayer in the pubs and watched the sunset from the Tor with a bag of Thatchers.  Slept at Paddington Farm in a tent Monday night and the straight to the festival early Tuesday.

spent the next 6 days having one of the best weeks of my life and managed to flamethrower the candle at both ends just on ale and brandy. Just a brilliant week and was still in the SE corner at 4 on the Monday morning.  Averaged about 3 or 4 hours kip a day for a week. With zero narcs.

My key point is... I felt fantastic on the Wednesday following. Tuesday was a write off mostly as was catching up on the missed sleep but was in work on the Wednesday with the only after affects being a massive smile and some amazing crew wrist bands on my wrist to giggle at in shite meetings.

if you think your time is up, it is maybe your lifestyle that needs adjusting a little. Don’t ditch the festivals. Ditch the stuff that makes you feel shite.

Yep whole new ball game with no narcs, now no booze I’m not quite ready for yet although I did two days with very little but only cause I was a bit sick.

1 hour ago, Jay Pee said:

Great post. I think there is so much truth in that.

@Jay Pee Good post.

This year at Boomtown, no sleep Wednesday, No sleep Thursday - I ended up having a panic attack at 12pm on the Friday. Never had anything like it. Im 35. My use was a lot more common than now, now it's basically the odd night out a year & festivals. For a few years, we'd pull all weekends constantly, but Im not 25 any more. I havent had 2 nights with no sleep for a good 5 years, even by that point it was only occaisionally.

The Friday at Boomtown was spent trying to sort my head out. Get an hour or so, then very early night. I managed to get 6 or 7 hours sleep. After that I was good to go for the rest of the festival, but I made sure I got 7 hours or so Saturday night / Sunday morning too.

I have taken this as a warning tbh. Festivals have been an escape for me.  Spent acting like I am a kid. Breakfast - a wrap of speed & a can of cider... it isnt big or clever. 

The more pressing matter is what am I trying to "escape" from? Without getting too deep into it, that is something I need to work out for myself.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

The more pressing matter is what am I trying to "escape" from? Without getting too deep into it, that is something I need to work out for myself.

I think this is a really key point. I've never hit it as hard as some of you drugs wise but when I was in my early 20s I was drinking pretty heavily most weekends and with the active intention of getting wasted. I would frequently have whole chunks of the night I couldn't remember and I often couldn't remember how I got home. Did a lot of really stupid shit I'm not proud of. But looking back there were underlying things in my life that I was not happy about and getting out of it was my way of getting away from them. I'm in a much better place now and yes I probably do still drink too much but I never go out wanting to get completely off my face any more. I thought that was just normal, that was just what people did, but I don't think it is that normal really. That's just what I was telling myself. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I'm afraid I gave all that stuff up many years ago, as soon as I had a mortgage and planning for the future 35 years ago.

Another reason I like going solo so I can keep at my own pace and drink if I want to , I also have no one to take care of me either so I'm Mrs responsible .

I am trying for tickets this year but it will be my last

2 hours ago, Jay Pee said:

Posts like this are why I stay here.

I'm a firm believer in mindfulness, meditation and coping strategies.

I came back from Afghanistan in 2009 with some issues that I needed to get put to bed to carry on functioning.

I know they get slated by many as classic indie landfill but one lyric by one band is what I run through my head when the MDMA is being passed around..

"Your not 19 forever pull yourself together"..

I go to the festival on the Monday walking round the site before the public arrive is magical watching it all develop and come together! Work 2 ten-hour nigjt shifts over the weekend! Catch up on sleep on Monday Tuesday Wednesday go back to work Thursday! Spend the next 12 months twiddling the crew bans snd remembering every precious moment! A festival can be whatever you want it to be! For my own reasons there is mo drugs or alcohol life is different now! 

6 hours ago, Jay Pee said:

I know they get slated by many as classic indie landfill but one lyric by one band is what I run through my head when the MDMA is being passed around..

"Your not 19 forever pull yourself together"..

That's very interesting. Is the main force that drives that perspective from within, or is it concluded by 'listening' to external 'pressures'?

The force comes from within. Years of mindfulness to combat stress and demon's.

It's just certain lyrics and messaged that pop into my head during times of pressure.

The external pressures are always there aren't they? Work, life etc etc. It's about finding something to reduce that and clear the mind.

Controlled breathing. It works. Gets rid of all the shite in the mind that you generally have no control over anyway.

This is deep for a Sunday ?

Edited by Jay Pee

13 hours ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

That's very interesting. Is the main force that drives that perspective from within, or is it concluded by 'listening' to external 'pressures'?

My own personal motto is more:

What works for one person won't necessarily for another, so I trust people to find whatever they need to get by- think both you and Jay Pee have found ways, though both are probably very different! 

1 hour ago, Jay Pee said:

The force comes from within. Years of mindfulness to combat stress and demon's.

It's just certain lyrics and messaged that pop into my head during times of pressure.

The external pressures are always there aren't they? Work, life etc etc. It's about finding something to reduce that and clear the mind.

Controlled breathing. It works. Gets rid of all the shite in the mind that you generally have no control over anyway.

This is deep for a Sunday ?

I used to be riddled with demons (all family related) , especially when I used to smoke dope. It never occurred all the time, otherwise I'd have stopped smoking the stuff. Other drugs never bothered me, which is why I'll still take them to this day - in fact, every day. I still get the odd twinge after having had a smoke. I try to battle it with logic when it occurs, but once the seed has been planted it's difficult to overcome. I guess it would be much more preferable to limit my intake to weekends only, but even then I'd only be doing it because of the cost element. It'll sound corny / stupid possibly, but I've always thought that I'd prefer to have a shorter life span doing what I want to do, than have a longer one restricting what I want to do. I think it's fair to say that I'll never make it to a care home, but that's OK. Who wants to be wheeled out and forced to watch Cash in the Attic in a communal lounge anyway!? 

46 minutes ago, Mr.Tease said:

My own personal motto is more:

What works for one person won't necessarily for another, so I trust people to find whatever they need to get by- think both you and Jay Pee have found ways, though both are probably very different! 

I should imagine that Jay Pee's and my way are very different. I was once bought a book on 'meaningfulness' but never read it. I'm not really in to reading self help / self discovery books. Unsurprisingly I like reading true life books about international drug smugglers!

Aye, all very true the difference in folk.

i get as much fun out of bombing up snowdon before breakfast and feeding the hedgehogs In the garden as I used to fighting at football ( a long time ago. The honest stuff. Not stone island keyboard warriors and filming on phones), or at an all night rave in some industrial unit in a Mancunian hinterland.  

I went up Snowdon on New Year’s Day and was in the cafe at the bottom for 11:00 am feeling chuffed. The best way I have started a new year in a long long time. But still love hugging randoms in a field at 3 in the morning.  Festivals and gigs are in my blood.

Edited by Jay Pee

5 minutes ago, Jay Pee said:

Aye, all very true the difference in folk.

i get as much fun out of bombing up snowdon before breakfast and feeding the hedgehogs In the garden as I used to fighting at football ( a long time ago. The honest stuff. Not stone island keyboard warriors and filming on phones), or at an all night rave in some industrial unit in a Mancunian hinterland.  

I went up Snowdon on New Year’s Day and was in the cafe at the bottom for 11:00 am feeling chuffed. The best way I have started a new year in a long long time. But still love hugging randoms in a field at 3 in the morning.  Festivals and gigs are in my blood.

I'd love to see the sight from the top of Snowdon, but have yet to achieve it. I drove there once with that very intention in mind, but the top was covered in cloud, so it would have been a pointless journey. I reckon i'd have caught the train up in any case, as I've become a lazy bastard. Now that (the laziness) is something that I do need to address. Before I met my wife I used to go for a swim at 6.30am and then go to the gym in the evening, every day. I was fit then, but am not so now. My local park has recently installed a lot of external gym equipment, which is free to use. I keep saying to myself that I should get down there and use it, but I can procrastinate for my country.

On 7/26/2019 at 9:46 AM, Tartan_Glasto said:

These sound like the type of people that if they do manage to get tickets will give them up once they see that don't like the 3 headliners. Which means more tickets back in the resale pot!

No...they'll go, hate it, then leave on the Friday. 

Glastonbury 2017 was a mega struggle for me for the first time since I’d started going in 2013 I wondered was it worth the toll it takes on me. 

It’s taken me 2 years since and 3 big festivals (not counting smaller ones) to realise my better days are behind me and I can’t do it like I used to. I’m 28. Might seem extreme but I need to have a rethink how I do these festivals because I don’t want to stop going.

In 2018 I went to Primavera, it was different to Glastonbury surely it was easier? I convinced myself between a proper bed and showers I wouldn’t struggle in the slightest walking/dancing around all day and night ploughing myself with drugs and ale. I was wrong. I struggled, I really struggled. My body felt like I’d be beaten up the night before every morning I woke up, it took me longer and longer each day to have a pint or even consider doing any drugs. I became very moody, I couldn’t be arsed doing anything.

I put it down to size of the place, the heat, the chilled out atmosphere that felt a hit too safe but deep down I knew I couldn’t hack it like I used to.

2019 Glastonbury comes around. I can’t wait, I’ve waited 2 bloody summers for this. Looked to be a classic year, maybe the best ever. No rain forecast and the best group of friends coming I think we’d ever managed.

In the run up to the festival I was fighting with HMRC for a tax rebate and waiting to see if my mortgage was confirmed for completion on 1st of July. Everything came together in the last week before the festival. I had money, time off, no responsibilities, a new job lined up for a week after I got back. I honestly didn’t have a care in the world. 

Same things that happened at Primavera kept on happening, I couldn’t be arsed, I was mega tired, I was moody, I was way to hot. Even the things that were my must sees I sometimes couldn’t be arsed with. I began to wonder was I getting too old to be bang at it 5 days and nights? Was I too unfit? Was it just not as exciting as it used to be? I had some brilliant moments but I struggled for lots of it physically and mentally. 

I put it down to extreme heat and an unfortunate incident that left me sharing a tent that wasn’t really big enough for me let alone anyone else, it wouldn’t be that hot next time and I’m bringing a bigger tent. I had Dekmantel around the corner that’s an easier festival, bed, showers, small site.

Dekmantel comes around had an amazing time Thursday and Friday, struggled a bit Saturday but got on fine in the end. I began to wonder what I was so worried previously about until Sunday came around. Didn’t get on site until around 4:30, struggled to get going until Palms Trax who was the headliner. I thought one last push went to the night venue. Had one drink felt like a zombie sweating my head off knackered body aching all over. I went to go for a sit down felt even worse decided to just fuck off back the hotel. Couldn’t sleep at all that night decided I was done with every festival ever, done with drinking and definitely done with drugs.

It’s only been past week I’ve felt up to even thinking about Glastonbury again. I’m gonna go 2020 as long as I can get a ticket but I’m gonna have to change my ways.

Before I go I need to be fit. I haven’t been fit since 2015 to be honest. I’m gonna have to get a proper bed be it in the form of a bigger tent, worthy view of camper van. I need more sleep, pace myself and sit down a lot more.

Has anyone else felt in a similar boat to me? You can’t run on empty in your late 20’s in my opinion. 

• Upvote 1

@Tommy Dickfingers it's a cliche but everyone's different and it sounds like you're stuggling a bit - while there's a certain amount of "just get on with it" that all festival goers will recognise they have to do sometimes, it sounds like that's not an approach that'll work for you.

Identify what bits of festivalling you really want to experience and just focus on those. Certain bands you need to see? Set your days up around those and leave everything else open. Just want to amble around chatting to people? Do that!

Stop forcing yourself to do everything and allow yourself the time and space to actually enjoy the bits you really want to go for.

I'm 42 now and my last festival was Glasto 2017. That felt like a tipping point for me, specially around drink (I can only have a few pints now and find drink just doesn't get me excited any more - a few relaxing beers and I'm good, to be honest. I also found that I'd kind of seen everyone I wanted to see and while yes I could keep going it felt like the right time to step back. At least for a bit :)

Do what you want to do now, not what you could have done in the past. Festivals are hard mentally and you want to alleviate the stress on yourself first. Everything else needs to align for you around that.

• Upvote 2

I think the key to enjoying Glasto is not to put too much pressure on yourself by building it up too much beforehand. 

We’ve all got stuff to deal with in the real world and it can really drag us down.  I’ve been guilty in the past of looking forward so much to holidays and Glasto that when I’ve got there I’ve felt a bit flat or worse like I’ve got to start having a great time or it’ll be a horrendous waste and I won’t forgive myself when I’m back at work.    You can end up ruining it for yourself.   When everyone’s having what looks like a great time and you’re not it can make you feel isolated.  2016 was a bit rubbish for me. 

Since then I’ve tried to make sure I see the bands I want to see rather than get dragged along to others I’m not keen on.  I’ve also tried to make sure I take time to chill out.  The greenfields, crows nest bar and acoustic field are great when you need to get out of the crowds and get a grip. 

On the fitness side of things it makes a great difference it you can get into some sort of shape beforehand.  I walk about 9 or 10 miles a day when I’m there and it can be tiring so having a comfy bed is dead important.  If you burn the candle at both ends you’ll feel crap and as you get older you take more time to recover.  At 46 my days of being up until dawn are beyond me unless I put a line through the next morning so I just had one big 5am night this year and was in bed for 1am the night after.  I’m happy with just having a few pints nowadays along with the occasional smoke but that’s it.   It’s a far cry from 20 odd years ago but I enjoy it just as much. 

My Dad started going when he was 64 and hasn’t missed one in the 12 years he’s been going.   He knows his limits and I think that’s the key.   You can enjoy it just as much in your 70s, you just need to manage your expectations and know your limits.

• Upvote 4