Do you feel "your time is up"?

IntoTheWhite

For me, my "time being up" isn't because I feel too old etc, it's just that I would like to experience other things. I am single. I live on my own. Most of my mates have a long term partner / kids. So I am in a different place to them.

Festivals take up so much of my money, I can't afford to do anything else as well with a mortgage etc....

I have however just secured a load of guaranteed overtime for the next few months. Which will seriously help. If I can bank loads before Christmas, I might be able to have a big trip away & a festival or 2.

Edited by FuzzyDunlop
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

For me, my "time being up" isn't because I feel too old etc, it's just that I would like to experience other things. I am single. I live on my own. Most of my mates have a long term partner / kids. So I am in a different place to them.

Festivals take up so much of my money, I can't afford to do anything else as well with a mortgage etc....

I have however just secured a load of guaranteed overtime for the next few months. Which will seriously help. If I can bank loads before Christmas, I might be able to have a big trip away & a festival or 2.

People say Glastonbury is the best place on earth, but honestly the world is so big and varied and filled with amazing things, I don’t think that’s true. I do hope you get to see some of these, it’s a great experience.

42 minutes ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

I felt like I was reading my own writing reading this.  For a long time I’ve been happy spending my annual leave in fields but I’m starting to feel that I want to see more of the world. 

Also, in the last couple of years I’ve realised that despite Glastonbury being amazing, biggest isn’t always best. 

After all the dust has settled, I can definitely say I had a better time at Noisily this year.... and even I’m surprised I’ve said that! 

• Upvote 1

I think I'm slightly less giddy-eyed about it than when I started going 15 years ago in 2004.  

Probably down to a few reasons.

• I've been 13 times in a row so there is a lot less new things for me to see.
  •  A lot of my friends don't go anymore as we are all in our 30s now and many have got married, had kids or simply lost interest in festivals.
  •  Linked to that last point, is that there are only ever 6 of us that go as a maximum (I was the only one this year as we missed out on tickets so I worked on a bar) so there is less of us to go around and do things with...makes logistics a bit easier but I do miss some of my mates that used to come who have similar music tastes. 
  •  As the years go on I find less and less bands I like are on the stages
  •  I hate 'camping' that little more each year....and muddy years really get the better of me these days!
  •  I think also a little is that each year the festival goes more and more mainstream...when I was younger you knew almost everyone who went to festivals/illegal raves from our little town, and was something that only the people who were really into music go to.  Now everyone goes to them (and wants to go to Glastonbury)  and they a little bit less 'alternative' Lots of people i know who go wouldn't have been seen dead at a festival 15-20 years ago.

Sometimes I find myself trying to re-create the magic of the first few Glastonbury's I went to, then I realise that I'm chasing something that isn't there anymore! Like others have said on this thread, its you that gets old and frustrated, not the festival! :) 

I still enjoy it, but compared to other festivals I go to it is a lot of hard work (obtaining tickets, getting in, getting about etc)

I will still try and go each year but if I ever get to the point that I don't really enjoy it I might consider a hiatus for a while.  

One thing I might try to do is a lot less drink and drugs next time!  Always seems to be my downfall! 

It truly is a magical place, but I always remember this quote I saw somewhere a few years ago  'Even the extraordinary becomes ordinary when its done time and time again'

Edited by gooner1990
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

47 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Just realised something...

My first festival was Reading 2000. I was 18, I’m 37 now.

That was 19 years ago, I’ve been festivalling for more than half my life now.

I went to Truck 1999 when I was 17, I turned 38 two weeks ago.

when I was at BoomTown the other week Salt & Pepa were shouting out decades and people cheered with which ones they were born in.

’millennials’ got a very big cheer! #feelingold 

Edited by gooner1990

Sadly I think my time may be up.

Firstly, this year's Glastonbury was the best I've had. Everything clicked for me. The weather, the company, the drugs, the music, the nightlife...it all came together and made for the best 5 days I've ever had over the last 20 years of going. I really prepped my body for this year. I've been going long enough to know the effort it takes and physically I had no issue after.

However, mentally it was a struggle afterwards. Due to circumstances that I don't really fully understand yet I had some sort of break down last month about 4 weeks after Glastonbury. This wasn't solely down to Glastonbury (or the 5 days in Vegas which I went to a week after coming back from G) more a build up of things over the last year or so. Obviously spending 10 days off my face with hardly any sleep in a 3 week period didn't help.

Very long story short is I went to my GP and now I am going through therapy but the result of all this is that I need to start doing things sober and definitely drug free for a while to try and sort myself out.

Going out and doing things straight is an eye opener to say the least!

So this leads to my problem with going to Glastonbury again. I've always associated Glastonbury with getting spangled and my best times at Glastonbury have always included me being off my tits. 

I think I'd like to keep my last memory of Glastonbury as my best.

I know people will say they've done Glastonbury sober and it's no better or worse just different. I like to think I could do Glastonbury sober I just don't know if I want to try. Some things are just best left alone and at the moment I'm fine with that thought.

Way too early to see how my situation will progress but Glastonbury is such a massive part of my life its gonna leave a big hole. 

I have got the chance to work next years festival which may be an option. I've always fancied working at the festival and it would definitely take away some of my desire to get on it as soon as I walk through the gates.

If 2019 does turn out to be my last festival at least I'll know it was a vintage year and I certainly won't be sad about not going again. I've had way too many happy times with great friends to be anything but grateful for the last 20 years of Glastonbury. 

Onward and upward!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

@dccool I think the drug thing is what worries me as well.  Not sure how old you are or what drugs you take at the festival but at 38 years old I’m starting to find 5 days of drinking, snorting coke and dropping pills a bit too difficult...and my comedown usually lasts for about 6-7 days. 

Im going to try and cut my use drug right down next year and see if that improves things! 

But like you I’m not sure if I want to hang around mildly drunk when everyone else is chewing their face off! 

29 minutes ago, gooner1990 said:

@dccool I think the drug thing is what worries me as well.  Not sure how old you are or what drugs you take at the festival but at 38 years old I’m starting to find 5 days of drinking, snorting coke and dropping pills a bit too difficult...and my comedown usually lasts for about 6-7 days. 

Im going to try and cut my use drug right down next year and see if that improves things! 

But like you I’m not sure if I want to hang around mildly drunk when everyone else is chewing their face off! 

I stopped taking drugs a few years ago, just couldn’t hack it anymore. I haven’t found it’s had a huge impact on my Glastonbury experience.

You're both lightweights, I'm 49 and it was my 30th Glasto this year. I started in my teens with mates and raved and partied and now I have teenage kids that have always come with me since they were babies. Moderate yourself as the years go on, go with the flow and never do too much that the festival starts to control you.

30 minutes ago, gooner1990 said:

I'm 43 and have been taking the same drugs as you've mentioned for way too long plus some others now and then.

My drug use is no doubt a contributing factor for where I find myself now but certainly not the only or maybe even the main reason. My usage is more likely just a trigger for some mental health issues I need to work through. 

Watching people chew their faces off is OK and actually fun for a while but then I just want to join them so it becomes frustrating after a bit. No way could I do that for 5 days and still have the time of my life!

I understand a lot of the comments above and have gone on my own for a few years but the truth is that for that weekend there isn’t a better for anyone who is a music fan to be. Whenever I’ve gone on my own I’ve never felt lonely. 

It is unquestionably the greatest festival on the planet. No way I stop until my body says so. 

Work it now x

12 hours ago, Hugh Jass said:

Just realised something...

My first festival was Reading 2000. I was 18, I’m 37 now.

That was 19 years ago, I’ve been festivalling for more than half my life now.

I can beat that. Went to V96 (albeit not allowed to camp as I was only 13 and we lived up the road) and am now 36. So I've been festivalling for 23 years. Well and truly got the bug at V96: Pulp headlined and it was magical. Went to that for three years and my first Reading in 2000 I think. There were a couple of dark years in the early 2000s when I was just too skint to go to a proper festival but I never lost that initial love for them.

9 hours ago, Hugh Jass said:

I stopped taking drugs a few years ago, just couldn’t hack it anymore. I haven’t found it’s had a huge impact on my Glastonbury experience.

Yeah same, aside from the odd bit of weed. Knocked the harder stuff on the head around 2014 and have stuck to drink and the occasional toke. If anything it improves my experience (and I don't go out of my way to get wasted on drink any more either). But then I often didn't enjoy taking drugs at Glastonbury as I tended to find it overwhelming... There were one or two magical occasions mind. But not having that come down and being able to enjoy the day time more is a great payoff.

44 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

I can beat that. Went to V96 (albeit not allowed to camp as I was only 13 and we lived up the road) and am now 36. So I've been festivalling for 23 years. Well and truly got the bug at V96: Pulp headlined and it was magical. Went to that for three years and my first Reading in 2000 I think. There were a couple of dark years in the early 2000s when I was just too skint to go to a proper festival but I never lost that initial love for them.

It’s great that there’s a real mix of experience on here, from folks who have only done one or two to those who have been at it since the 80’s.

2 hours ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Yeah same, aside from the odd bit of weed. Knocked the harder stuff on the head around 2014 and have stuck to drink and the occasional toke. If anything it improves my experience (and I don't go out of my way to get wasted on drink any more either). But then I often didn't enjoy taking drugs at Glastonbury as I tended to find it overwhelming... There were one or two magical occasions mind. But not having that come down and being able to enjoy the day time more is a great payoff.

Yeah I really don’t miss it. I’m hurtling towards 40, I can’t physically act like I’m still 21. Just haven’t got it in me anymore. I also started to feel that necking pills and snorting coke when you’re into your 30’s was a bit... sad. I never wanted to be the oldest guy at the party.

It’s a young man’s game.

31 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Yeah I really don’t miss it. I’m hurtling towards 40, I can’t physically act like I’m still 21. Just haven’t got it in me anymore. I also started to feel that necking pills and snorting coke when you’re into your 30’s was a bit... sad. I never wanted to be the oldest guy at the party.

It’s a young man’s game.

I don't really agree with this.  I'm just not ready to agree with this yet I suppose.

14 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Fair enough. It’s ultimately a personal thing.

I'll re-evaluate after my 40th next July!

(which will be spent indulging in the Noisily forest!)

1 hour ago, Hugh Jass said:

It’s a young man’s game.

Totally agree with this, thought I was in a minority. Got it all out the way and was done with drugs by my early twenties. Fair play to those who can still handle it but I’m 36 now and feel they would ruin me for days after. 

4 minutes ago, Charm said:

Can’t see my time ever being up, love the place too much and this year was one of my best years, feeling pretty scared about t day already. 

Charm x

Yeah it's starting to get me too... the last couple of years I've wondered if my time might be up soon on occasion but after this year I was just so unbelievably sad it was over. Have struggled to watch much on TV or come here much in July. Actual tears on the Monday morning. I guess my time is far from up.

It does get harder though as old friends drop out and life changes. But for the foreseeable I can't see me not trying for tickets. Having missed one year I know I can survive missing one if needs be, but to not even attempt it when you never know when your last might be? Not there yet.