Do you feel "your time is up"?

IntoTheWhite

Absolutely loved every second for 2010,2011 and 2013. Missed 2014 and was gutted but had a really shit 2015 which made me worry that I was over it.

then 2017 happened and it was my best one yet.

missed out on tickets for 2019 and at the time I was sad but not gutted. When it was on though I was really pissed off I wasn’t there.

definitely trying for 2020 and my 10 year Glasto anniversary but after that I think it will turn into an every 2-3 year thing rather than every year.

im still only 32 but the crowds and the growing amount of obnoxious people doesn’t help. Seriously do think there will be a crush one year because of that combo.

9 hours ago, Beerqueen said:

The problem for me is that if you decide to go every 2-3 years, what happens if you don't get tickets on the years you choose you want to go?  So I will try every year and if I get them I will go!

Agree! 

Everytime I see the title of this thread come up, I just want to write "Nah"

Not by a long shot!

• 2 weeks later...

reading this thread gave me a good smile. I'm lucky enough to be in my final teenage year so I have got a very long way to go before I even think about packing it in.  I met people who were in their 60's who have been going for the past 30 years and still have no intention of packing it in. 

18 minutes ago, Harry_W01 said:

reading this thread gave me a good smile. I'm lucky enough to be in my final teenage year so I have got a very long way to go before I even think about packing it in.  I met people who were in their 60's who have been going for the past 30 years and still have no intention of packing it in. 

Enjoy and make the most of youth ... it’s equally as fun but maybe a little more physically demanding .. and I’ve not been going as long as most of the hardcore members of the forum :) 

40 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

Enjoy and make the most of youth ... it’s equally as fun but maybe a little more physically demanding .. and I’ve not been going as long as most of the hardcore members of the forum :) 

Thank you! looking back from this year I definitely should have prepared physically. I expected to easily do a lot of standing but was not prepared for 9 hours of standing. my back was burning by midnight. I envy the people in my group who plodded  back to the tent at 7am as I was getting up!!

2 minutes ago, Harry_W01 said:

Thank you! looking back from this year I definitely should have prepared physically. I expected to easily do a lot of standing but was not prepared for 9 hours of standing. my back was burning by midnight. I envy the people in my group who plodded  back to the tent at 7am as I was getting up!!

likewise ... I sympathise .. had to have a few hours lie down at certain points to ease it ... but determined to try and change this for the next one :) 

1 minute ago, crazyfool1 said:

likewise ... I sympathise .. had to have a few hours lie down at certain points to ease it ... but determined to try and change this for the next one :) 

Best of luck! I managed to convince my Mother and sister to register for next year. they keep going on about how they will be so tired but the reality is they can get there on Friday and just get deck chairs and sit at the pyramid. although I warned them they will be called chair w*nkers..

23 minutes ago, Harry_W01 said:

This is what I’ve never understood- why does your back hurt watching gigs?! It never seems to happen in daily life when I’ve had to stand about for a few hours, I’m quite physically fit, but for some reason standing watching music seems to make my back ache!

Got to say that we’re seriously thinking of not trying for tickets in October.  Since we first started going in 2010 it took on a huge level of importance and we were gutted the three years we failed to get a ticket. The first of those three we went on holiday which was a complete waste of money because we sat in the most beautiful place I’d ever been to and just talked about what would have been happening at the festival at that moment.  The second time, we decided to pay an extortionate amount to glamp it and get the hospitality tickets.  This past year, when we yet again missed out in October, we thought about going the glamping route again but decided that it would have too great an impact upon the rest of our lives.  It felt weird making that decision, a bit like I was betraying a good friend, but it was the right decision for us.  

It’s had a really strange effect though.  Wednesday of the festival this year hurt like hell.  Reminiscing about  the packing up of the car, the driving down to site, collecting various people as we went, the constant worry about queues to get in, traffic etc etc.  Lordy, the excitement involved in all that!  But by Thursday, that hurt was all over.  

I watched most of the festival from the comfort of my home and felt really happy for the people enjoying themselves.  Thought a couple of acts were astonishing and then realised they were acts I wouldn’t have chosen to go to if I’d been there.  So my mind was actually broadened more (musically at least) by being at home than it would have been if we’d been at the festival.

Then we went to a tiny (by comparison) festival last weekend and had an absolute ball of a time.  It was like all the things we love most about Glastonbury Festival but without the things that make it difficult or not-quite-as-enjoyable-as-you’d-like-it-to-be. I’ve realised that equally great times can be had elsewhere.  Though we’ve enjoyed some great acts at Glastonbury over the years, after 2010 we didn’t go for the music and missed as many ‘must-sees’ as we actually caught.  The ‘other’ stuff - the friendliness, the kindnesses, the chatting with random people, the dancing as if no-one is looking, the laughing - were actually more readily available at the smaller festival.  So we spent more time doing that stuff and that’s the stuff that I love.

I’m not saying that we definitely won’t be trying in October but it’s less likely than it was a little while ago.  And I’m definitely not saying that I’ll never go to Glastonbury again - in fact I would love to volunteer one time so that I could give something back to a place that changed me forever and, I hope, for the better.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

2 hours ago, mandolin said:

Got to say that we’re seriously thinking of not trying for tickets in October.  Since we first started going in 2010 it took on a huge level of importance and we were gutted the three years we failed to get a ticket. The first of those three we went on holiday which was a complete waste of money because we sat in the most beautiful place I’d ever been to and just talked about what would have been happening at the festival at that moment.  The second time, we decided to pay an extortionate amount to glamp it and get the hospitality tickets.  This past year, when we yet again missed out in October, we thought about going the glamping route again but decided that it would have too great an impact upon the rest of our lives.  It felt weird making that decision, a bit like I was betraying a good friend, but it was the right decision for us.  

It’s had a really strange effect though.  Wednesday of the festival this year hurt like hell.  Reminiscing about  the packing up of the car, the driving down to site, collecting various people as we went, the constant worry about queues to get in, traffic etc etc.  Lordy, the excitement involved in all that!  But by Thursday, that hurt was all over.  

I watched most of the festival from the comfort of my home and felt really happy for the people enjoying themselves.  Thought a couple of acts were astonishing and then realised they were acts I wouldn’t have chosen to go to if I’d been there.  So my mind was actually broadened more (musically at least) by being at home than it would have been if we’d been at the festival.

Then we went to a tiny (by comparison) festival last weekend and had an absolute ball of a time.  It was like all the things we love most about Glastonbury Festival but without the things that make it difficult or not-quite-as-enjoyable-as-you’d-like-it-to-be. I’ve realised that equally great times can be had elsewhere.  Though we’ve enjoyed some great acts at Glastonbury over the years, after 2010 we didn’t go for the music and missed as many ‘must-sees’ as we actually caught.  The ‘other’ stuff - the friendliness, the kindnesses, the chatting with random people, the dancing as if no-one is looking, the laughing - were actually more readily available at the smaller festival.  So we spent more time doing that stuff and that’s the stuff that I love.

I’m not saying that we definitely won’t be trying in October but it’s less likely than it was a little while ago.  And I’m definitely not saying that I’ll never go to Glastonbury again - in fact I would love to volunteer one time so that I could give something back to a place that changed me forever and, I hope, for the better.

I totally get where you're at with smaller festivals mandolin. We went to a fab one last weekend (Landed Festival), and it had everything we wanted in a small fairly compact area. I guess with us, at least, it's an age / stamina thing. Gone is the time when I could roam around the width and breadth of the Glastonbury site, morning, noon and night. Part of me would like to have one last fandango for it's 50th birthday party, but I also think that I'd be wasting a ticket which somebody else could be using more 'efficiently'. It's kind of hard being a member of this site and not wanting to meet the other members too at the Glastonbury efests meet up. However, that's also not a reasonable stance to buy a ticket, and take the place of someone who would get more out of it. One should never say never in this world, but as per usual (ie. I always say this) I think that I've already had my last Glastonbury. It's odd, in that it's sooo hard to admit that to oneself. 

So, I think I'll offer my services to help people buy tickets in October, and then just enter any Glastonbury competitions there are next year. That way I can let fate decide. 

The festival didn’t ‘click’ for me this year for some reason, and my husband said he felt the same - not sure if it was the heat sapping our energy, or having to drink less booze and more water, or that the lineup wasn’t especially our cup of tea, or the fact that 2017 was so bloody good, or that we had spent two long years waiting and building it up in our heads, or that we had left our toddler for longer than one night for the first time... or a combination of all those things maybe. We still had an amazing time, but it is the first time we have ever come away from the festival not feeling immediately anxious about ticket day... although that was short lived and now the prospect of not getting tickets to the 50th is giving me serious FOMO. 

On ‎8‎/‎1‎/‎2019 at 10:04 PM, One Tonne Baby said:

Absolutely loved every second for 2010,2011 and 2013. Missed 2014 and was gutted but had a really shit 2015 which made me worry that I was over it.

then 2017 happened and it was my best one yet.

missed out on tickets for 2019 and at the time I was sad but not gutted. When it was on though I was really pissed off I wasn’t there.

definitely trying for 2020 and my 10 year Glasto anniversary but after that I think it will turn into an every 2-3 year thing rather than every year.

im still only 32 but the crowds and the growing amount of obnoxious people doesn’t help. Seriously do think there will be a crush one year because of that combo.

I too missed out on a ticket, this year. I had got one for the previous five years. I fear the same things as you. Crowd control; change of traditional social make-up, of the festival population and a difference in bands and how they are presented; have all caused me this fear. I'm seriously starting to consider Glastonbury, as a possible, once in a blue moon, trip. That's if it's possible to get any tickets at all. 

Edited by stt11
punctuation

I'd like to "do something different" and experience new things.

I would like to do something else though.

Over the last 18 years (since I was 18) I have done

10 x Ibiza

8 x Glastonbury

2 x Boomtown

2 x Leeds

I think I need a "holiday" which doesn't just involve just getting smashed. I don't know if feeling too old is right, but I want to do other things. I was sure that 2019 was my last for a while, but after Glastonbury and Boomtown, now I am not too sure - I have had a great time!

I'll be gutted if I don't get tickets in October. It is getting increasingly harder for me to get the time off work; I know I can next year for certain. The year after will be really difficult, plus both my children will be of school age which adds further difficulty as I don't have a support network to help me and my wife look after them! I can't see me giving up of my own accord for a while! 

On 8/16/2019 at 12:36 PM, FuzzyDunlop said:

I'd like to "do something different" and experience new things.

I would like to do something else though.

Over the last 18 years (since I was 18) I have done

10 x Ibiza

8 x Glastonbury

2 x Boomtown

2 x Leeds

I think I need a "holiday" which doesn't just involve just getting smashed. I don't know if feeling too old is right, but I want to do other things. I was sure that 2019 was my last for a while, but after Glastonbury and Boomtown, now I am not too sure - I have had a great time!

Suggest Croatia travelling north from Dubrovnik, time it so there’s a decent festival on at Pag island incase the holiday without getting smashed doesn’t deliver ?

• Upvote 1

A break is sometimes good. I had a petty shit 2014 and combined with becoming a parent had a 5 year hiatus. This year was probably one of my very favourite despite the line up being not that great (for me) -  I’m with a few others that I might take stock after next year. Then again the 50th will be mega and reinvigorate all of us right?

14 hours ago, tumbles said:

A break is sometimes good. I had a petty shit 2014 and combined with becoming a parent had a 5 year hiatus. This year was probably one of my very favourite despite the line up being not that great (for me) -  I’m with a few others that I might take stock after next year. Then again the 50th will be mega and reinvigorate all of us right?

I believe it will be called the best one yet. Most likely by sweet little Mr E.

Edited by cammie81