Do you feel "your time is up"?

IntoTheWhite

On 7/25/2019 at 6:37 AM, IntoTheWhite said:

Thanks Yog. 

Will have to take a trip up the Tor. I was tempted this year, as I passed it on my way home. I didn't. I was bolloxed. 

I do get what you're saying about visiting though, and may well take a detour on my way home from West Cornwall next week. This for me is another beautiful, spiritual hub. Blimey the stories those Quoits and standing stones could tell. 

p. s. I'm definitely a smiler. 

Paolo. 

We go to the Tor every year before the festival and also visit the red and white springs. It feels like a bit of a pilgrimage and the festival is a meeting of all the tribes for 5 days of music, dance and liminal states. 

The fact that it is held in a sacred place and  in mid summer makes it the unique festival that it is. The unmistakable mystical feel of Glastonbury is what attracts us to keep coming back. 

My two kids are 19 and 16 and they intend to come forever.

• Upvote 1

On 7/23/2019 at 11:28 PM, IntoTheWhite said:

I appreciate that it has to appeal to all, and I may be older (not wiser), but I feel like the majority are there to tick a box, they don't realise that they are in the Vale of Avalon, in a hub of lay lines and a truly beautiful, spiritual place. 

They realise it it whether they know it or not. There is no " majority" at Glastonbury anyway? It is only good, lost in all the colour. I work at the festival now and will go forever, spent 6 months + of my life at that farm, will make it a full year, hopefully.

Bamber X

13 hours ago, BlackZeppelin said:

My two kids are 19 and 16 and they intend to come forever.

It's a heartening prospect, we have several kids in our group who now regularly come, and the joke/serious banter is of them succeeding us in time. So for now we have to put up the front we're still up for all-nighters, riotous behaviour and the SE Corner...which of course we have long since abandoned! I don't want to admit defeat to them, as they do admire our tenacity.

• Like 1

I am thinking about taking an extended break either right now or, depending on if I'll be in Europe in 2020, after the next edition. I already know it's going to hurt, but I really feel like trying new things and hopefully coming back reenergised after a few years. This has not been my last Glasto, I can say that, the place still means so much to me.

20 hours ago, guypjfreak said:

Not this time old son just going to side into retirement and take up fishing with a magnet and try to catch a tank or some golden coins.. 

CQz0TN2WcAAxzw8.jpg

fishing-magnets.jpg

I've bought a powerful magnet and strong parachute rope to go magnet fishing, but haven't tried it out yet. If I was still in Birmingham, I'd probably be fishing out shooters, and shopping trolleys. As it is, I'm in the countryside now, so am fully expecting to dredge up Excalibur!

• Downvote 1

Ive had a couple of instances of bad  news over the last couple of weeks that has made me more determined than ever to keep going whilst  I can ... the son of someone I work with died in a motorbike accident,  he worked at Asda a few years ago and whilst I didn't know him as a friend it was someone I spoke to and he was only 27 ... and someone else I worked with I found out today had committed suicide ... its brought some perspective into my life to make the most of those valuable times of enjoyment and Glastonbury is definitely one of them ... It is also time to start introducing some new things also that will be things to look forward to in harder times as life isn't always quite so rosey 

• Upvote 4

On 7/23/2019 at 11:28 PM, IntoTheWhite said:

Hello to all who frequent this forum. 

Just a few lines to say "i'me tired". I first went as a stary'ed eyed 16 year youth in 83.Brilliant and horrendous at the same time (my fault for the horrendous). Vowed, I'd never go back....... 

However. Years pass by, courting, marriage, children and a routine life set in, all the while, still luckily enough to stay friends with those you attended. with,albeit living in different parts of the country /world. 

We as a group have been fortunate enough to get tickets for the last 6 festivals and have had a blast, catching up and reliving our youth (without the added stimulai). This last festival being a highlight, musically wise. HOWEVER, and this is my own personal opinion only. I feel like the festival has lost its way. Its now a 24 Hr carnival. I appreciate that it has to appeal to all, and I may be older (not wiser), but I feel like the majority are there to tick a box, they don't realise that they are in the Vale of Avalon, in a hub of lay lines and a truly beautiful, spiritual place. 

I don't know. Maybe i'me a idealistic hippy, who's time is up and should realise this. 

I think at the end of the above drivel, is that I, we have been blessed with visiting a very special, sacred place. Forget the music, did you feel the spirit. I certainly did again on my last festival. 

Love Paolo x. 

Hi Paolo, ‘83 was my first Glasto too. When you take in the vast scale of the festival now, it’s sometimes hard to consider what it was like then. That said, to me it ‘feels’ much the same to me as it always did, just bigger. I really hope to be there for the 50th - 37 years after first going. How long we’ll carry on after that I don’t know, but never say never!

On 7/24/2019 at 7:15 PM, Wooderson said:

I reckon a few peeps I know will reassess/take stock after the 50th.

Yep, that's me. It pains me to say it, but if I manage to get tickets next year, I'll stop going religiously every year. Nothing to do with age really, although I'm definitely feeling it the last couple, more to do with cost. Coming from Australia each year always ends up costing thousands, takes up half my entire annual leave and leaves me exhausted. Since I also like to be back home for Christmas, double-dipping each year is just not practical. I'll certainly be back, but maybe once every couple of years or something.

• Upvote 3

I've found that as I crossed over into being 40 my drinking ability has really gone downhill. I can have a few but it just doesn't excite me any more. I don't really get drunk I just get steamed then fall asleep

Glastonbury (and fests in general) have always been drink (and other stuff fuelled) marathon affairs which were amazing but I just can't do it that way any more. As an introverted kind of guy I'd really struggle with a quarter of a million people mostly-sober so it's kind of hard to imagine what kind of festival experience I'd have.

After 15 years of festivalling and gigging I've also pretty much seen everyone I want to see, so I do kind of feel like I'm looking back over "what was" when I think about these things rather than being inspired to think "what's next?".

It's sad, and I feel it like a loss, but I don't know what the alternative is.

I don't know if I'll try for tickets next year. I didn't this year, and to be honest I was quite happy watching from the comfort of my sofa, apart from a couple of really strong wish-I-was-there moments. It being the 50th isn't massively relevant to me personally, though I understand from the perspective of the festival itself it's a huge milestone. Maybe Michael will retire after that one? I'd like to go to his last festival, that would mean something to me.

Part of me thinks I'll go again in about 10 years time but I just don't know at this point.

22 minutes ago, Room to sway said:

I've found that as I crossed over into being 40 my drinking ability has really gone downhill. I can have a few but it just doesn't excite me any more. I don't really get drunk I just get steamed then fall asleep

Glastonbury (and fests in general) have always been drink (and other stuff fuelled) marathon affairs which were amazing but I just can't do it that way any more. As an introverted kind of guy I'd really struggle with a quarter of a million people mostly-sober so it's kind of hard to imagine what kind of festival experience I'd have.

After 15 years of festivalling and gigging I've also pretty much seen everyone I want to see, so I do kind of feel like I'm looking back over "what was" when I think about these things rather than being inspired to think "what's next?".

It's sad, and I feel it like a loss, but I don't know what the alternative is.

I don't know if I'll try for tickets next year. I didn't this year, and to be honest I was quite happy watching from the comfort of my sofa, apart from a couple of really strong wish-I-was-there moments. It being the 50th isn't massively relevant to me personally, though I understand from the perspective of the festival itself it's a huge milestone. Maybe Michael will retire after that one? I'd like to go to his last festival, that would mean something to me.

Part of me thinks I'll go again in about 10 years time but I just don't know at this point.

i would think surely it will be his last official one with some kind of advisory role in future ... he won't give it up but doesn't Emily and Nick do most of it now ? @eFestivals any idea ? as im purely speculating as the 50th would be a great official way to go out 

I can't imagine he'd be doing it for much longer, but then again he's not at all like us mortal men.

mike001.jpg

I'm guessing he's considering retiring from it but it must be so hard to let go of something like that. Even going into an advisory-type role.

Once he stops (or heaven forbid passes away) how would people feel about the festival from then on? Would absolutely feel like the end of an era.

Edited by Room to sway

1 hour ago, Room to sway said:

Once he stops (or heaven forbid passes away) how would people feel about the festival from then on? Would absolutely feel like the end of an era.

Both of these things are inevitable!

Personally, I feel that the festival is in good hands and that Emily (and Nick) totally understand and respect what is being left to them.

I don't feel Michael is about to leave us just yet - I expect him to receive a royal birthday message!

I'm 46 and still desperatly want to go every year for the rest of my life, it's my holiday.

But on the flipside, this year was my 20th in a row, so if I didn't get tickets for 2020, i'd be crushed, but I've had a good enough run that I could probably wait until 2021 to try again.

Saying that, a few friends have said they would nominate me to work with them on the site build, so I'd probably end up doing that anyway :) Just the issue of trying to get 2.5 weeks off work in a row to contend with.

23 hours ago, crazyfool1 said:

Ive had a couple of instances of bad  news over the last couple of weeks that has made me more determined than ever to keep going whilst  I can ... the son of someone I work with died in a motorbike accident,  he worked at Asda a few years ago and whilst I didn't know him as a friend it was someone I spoke to and he was only 27 ... and someone else I worked with I found out today had committed suicide ... its brought some perspective into my life to make the most of those valuable times of enjoyment and Glastonbury is definitely one of them ... It is also time to start introducing some new things also that will be things to look forward to in harder times as life isn't always quite so rosey 

I'm with you , and sending you condolences. Every now and again life throws a ball of rubbish with a loss/illness etc that brings the worry into perspective and makes me for one ensure I try to live every moment wiht the most postive attitude I can muster. With that I am lucky and have a somewhat tigger bounce attititude to life, but not everyone is so lucky

I keep meaning to say to you thank you for calling to me one morning at Glasto (was it Thursday ?) , I was out for a morning walk , all my travelling companions were still relaxing and I was in pure tigger bounce mode and instead of waiting for them decided just to take myself and meander for a few hours , and a very good few hours it was. Met everyone back at camp ready to go for a wedding and didn;t feel frustated as missing half a day .... you were on your way to breakfast ? ( i do hope I didn;t dream this meeting else I'm gong to look like a right buffoon) - anyway thanks for calling out hi and hope your breakie was worth the walk up the hill x

9 minutes ago, Funkyfairy! said:

I'm with you , and sending you condolences. Every now and again life throws a ball of rubbish with a loss/illness etc that brings the worry into perspective and makes me for one ensure I try to live every moment wiht the most postive attitude I can muster. With that I am lucky and have a somewhat tigger bounce attititude to life, but not everyone is so lucky

I keep meaning to say to you thank you for calling to me one morning at Glasto (was it Thursday ?) , I was out for a morning walk , all my travelling companions were still relaxing and I was in pure tigger bounce mode and instead of waiting for them decided just to take myself and meander for a few hours , and a very good few hours it was. Met everyone back at camp ready to go for a wedding and didn;t feel frustated as missing half a day .... you were on your way to breakfast ? ( i do hope I didn;t dream this meeting else I'm gong to look like a right buffoon) - anyway thanks for calling out hi and hope your breakie was worth the walk up the hill x

thanks :) its not like I knew either very well but one I would have a joke with every day at work and his alcohol problems were widely known ... he was stopped from driving as a delivery driver for refusing a breath test ... but fortunately at the time he kept his his job which might have prolonged his life ... but he'd just been told to take some time off to dry out as he'd come to work steaming one day and has no recollection of it ... it was really difficult for my boss who had to announce it to the team and despite the issues you could see what a nice and funny guy he was behind it all and my boss was trying to help him ... 

It was Thursday yes ... was that the Early morning walk about 10am :) ... it was quite a hike up the hill , I didn't realise how far back those caravan fields went ... but a lovely breakfast and I spent a good few hours there and having a cider back on site .. its easier to get most of the meeting up done before it all starts in ernest on the friday and then leave the rest pretty much to chance 

4 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

thanks :) its not like I knew either very well but one I would have a joke with every day at work and his alcohol problems were widely known ... he was stopped from driving as a delivery driver for refusing a breath test ... but fortunately at the time he kept his his job which might have prolonged his life ... but he'd just been told to take some time off to dry out as he'd come to work steaming one day and has no recollection of it ... it was really difficult for my boss who had to announce it to the team and despite the issues you could see what a nice and funny guy he was behind it all and my boss was trying to help him ... 

It was Thursday yes ... was that the Early morning walk about 10am :) ... it was quite a hike up the hill , I didn't realise how far back those caravan fields went ... but a lovely breakfast and I spent a good few hours there and having a cider back on site .. its easier to get most of the meeting up done before it all starts in ernest on the friday and then leave the rest pretty much to chance 

Ha ha yes that was early morning - yeah maybe not that early (was it really that late lol), to be fair I;d probably gone to bed the night before as the sun rose, and ususally with staying in Campervan east we don;t see the site before lunchtime each day so yes that was an earlier walk than normal :-) and was lovely, over the the pier via the other stage and back via a few stalls . For me it was so lovely staying back on site and not having that hike back at the end of every night :-)

Alcohol problems are really tough, one of my best male friends is currently in hospital in the UK having collapsed post the Neil Young gig in Hyde park wiht a siezure, being taken to hospital and treated for alcohol withdrawal and now diagnosed with alcolohol related brain damage/dementia - no idea at the moment how much of a revoery he will make or once he is back home if he will want to or be able to stay off the alcohol and he is a proper functioning alcoholic

Anyway all the best, and thanks once again for the quick meeting , made me smile :-)

2 minutes ago, Funkyfairy! said:

Ha ha yes that was early morning - yeah maybe not that early (was it really that late lol), to be fair I;d probably gone to bed the night before as the sun rose, and ususally with staying in Campervan east we don;t see the site before lunchtime each day so yes that was an earlier walk than normal ? and was lovely, over the the pier via the other stage and back via a few stalls . For me it was so lovely staying back on site and not having that hike back at the end of every night ?

Alcohol problems are really tough, one of my best male friends is currently in hospital in the UK having collapsed post the Neil Young gig in Hyde park wiht a siezure, being taken to hospital and treated for alcohol withdrawal and now diagnosed with alcolohol related brain damage/dementia - no idea at the moment how much of a revoery he will make or once he is back home if he will want to or be able to stay off the alcohol and he is a proper functioning alcoholic

Anyway all the best, and thanks once again for the quick meeting , made me smile ?

same to you it makes me laugh when i hear my efest  name shouted :) 

I am 60, I’ve just retired, I won’t give up going or trying for tickets. Less alcohol and no smokes now. A more leisurely approach to seeing bands, we still manage to check out new bands as well as the more familiar ones.  Camping? No problem, it’s lime kiln or hitchin hill though this year we went back to worthy view. I can’t imagine not trying for tickets. Probably the only thing that would stop us is illness. Even during the fallow year we visit the area to walk the site. 

Every time we leave the festival I wonder if we might never be back as I take that last look before exiting. It’s given us so many incredible memories. Hoping for a few more .