Do you feel "your time is up"?

IntoTheWhite

2 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

Looking at a few responses on here ...by no means a scientific survey it seems like quite a few people are looking at the 50th as a last festival ... I wonder if this will therefore make ticket buying a bit easier after that ... and therefore lots of these hardcore goers will end up going anyway because of this 

It might, but with all the added publicity for the 50th it may also increase the amount of bucket listers wanting to go

10 minutes ago, tjamest said:

It might, but with all the added publicity for the 50th it may also increase the amount of bucket listers wanting to go

I was thinking more like the year after the 50th... although.... the bucket listers May enjoy it so much they keep going in subsequent years 

20 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

I was thinking more like the year after the 50th... although.... the bucket listers May enjoy it so much they keep going in subsequent years 

Can't help but feel the "the 50th will be my last" is the equivalent of "I'll l have one more drink, then an early night" 

• Upvote 4

44 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

Looking at a few responses on here ...by no means a scientific survey it seems like quite a few people are looking at the 50th as a last festival ... I wonder if this will therefore make ticket buying a bit easier after that ... and therefore lots of these hardcore goers will end up going anyway because of this 

I don't believe them!

I came to the party late and went to first aged 51, loved 11, 13 & 15 then struggled in 16 with the mud and again in 17 due to ongoing knee injuries. I was unsuccessful getting a ticket this year and rather than being devastated was in some way relieved as my memories of the painful times are now beginning to overtake the pleasurable ones.

I will be 60 in 2020 and will still try for one last hurrah, but if it is not to be then i feel i will be happy to concentrate on a few  smaller festivals which are a lot easier to physically manage.

2 hours ago, crazyfool1 said:

I reckon a lot of people will take stock, but there will be a gazillion waiting in the wings to take over. The 50th will be adervtised and hyped intensly and if the sun is shining and the bbc coverage looks awesome then there will be a flood of people again wanting to try it :-)

I had become slighlty blase about the festival and it had lost its bizz a little, but working it this year, and being part of the build up has totally and utterly reignited my flame. I didn;t feel so frantic at running around the place and seeing everything , I felt much calmer and as a result just found a whole new love for it thats deeper and more meaninful - I can;t imagine not going , but who knows whats around the corner

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, Funkyfairy! said:

I had become slighlty blase about the festival and it had lost its bizz a little, but working it this year, and being part of the build up has totally and utterly reignited my flame. I didn;t feel so frantic at running around the place and seeing everything , I felt much calmer and as a result just found a whole new love for it thats deeper and more meaninful - I can;t imagine not going , but who knows whats around the corner

Love this! And can totally relate to it. 

I loved being on the farm for those extra couple of days and the feeling that, after all these years, albeit in a very small way, I'd contributed to this wonderful event that has given me so much.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, stuie said:

Love this! And can totally relate to it. 

I loved being on the farm for those extra couple of days and the feeling that, after all these years, albeit in a very small way, I'd contributed to this wonderful event that has given me so much.

And I think for me, there was alwasy the frantic feeling that each one could be the last , and I had to squeeze every last moment of running around the site seeing stuff. This year having worked and know now there are all sorts of opportunities I know that by hook or by crook , with sacrifices and luck I can be back each year, in some form or another its made me calmer. As a result I relaxed, I still stayed out till the early hours, and actually walked the site earlier some mornings but just felt much more relaxed about the whole festival

And even after the event I still feel very very lucky - those extra days of exploring make such as difference

• Like 1

Tuesday crew! i worked this year for the first time, and i know EXACTLY what you mean. i saw much less in the way of bands (only The Cure at the pyramid, didn't even go in the field otherwise) and i spent much more time in the green fields and the SE corner during the day - partly because of the heat, partly because of fatigue due to working, but also largely because that's where i'm happiest. i didnt really mind missing out on sets, but my taste in music is only lightly represented at Glastonbury anyways (Scum and Truth stage, pretty much) so i like loafing around t+c seeing whats going on. 

I dont want to go all ridiculous and say that volunteering was amaaaayzing man, cos its quite different to going as a punter - and i cant stress enough, it is quite knackering, its not an easy route in - but it definitely gives a different perspective on the festival as a whole and its one i'm very glad to have been a small part of. So much so that i think i'll just volunteer next year, and not keep it as a backup to not getting a ticket. 

• Upvote 2

Late starter, went to my first in 2007 when I was 48.  I've always gone with my son, or with my son's mates, since they were 16-17.  This year I went aged 60 - in the back of my mind I wanted to hit that milestone, but having done so I don't feel any need to stop.  It's a different festival for me now than it was then - caravan rather than tent, Park rather than Pyramid - but so long as the body stays strong, the spirit will always be willing.

What might make a difference is that the kids are all late twenties now, pairing up and are beginning to have/countenance kids of their own. What decisions they make in the coming years about Glastonbury for them might make me reconsider what I want to do.  But right now I don't stop - ticket gods willing - until I can't physically do it any more.

• Upvote 1

I have a suspicion that, if we get tickets, 2020 will be my last. I will be 65 by then and, much as I love the place, I find there is less to interest me in terms of music than before. I am an Avalon/Acoustic type who rarely strays onto the main stages and am unlikely to be found in the Shangri-La area, except when the Damned were playing there of course. I have struggled to find acts that appeal for a few years now and whilst there is still the chance of new discoveries I feel disinclined to search. The people are wonderful of course and the thought of missing Hobo Jones opening the Avalon is hard to take but my children will still be there for years to come no doubt. 

11 hours ago, tjamest said:

There are loads of people I know who watched it this year on TV and have said they want to go next year, despite the fact they "hate festivals, not showering, blah,blah". 2020 is going to be a nightmare. I enjoyed this year hugely for a whole variety of reasons, but I feel some parts of the site are going a bit 'theme park'. It also felt a bit less left field (small caps) and edgy. Definitely less bonkers-ness around - maybe it was the heat. Didn't hear any whoops of joy in West Holts on Wed afternoon either. Maybe I'm deaf.

7 hours ago, BluePaul said:

Late starter, went to my first in 2007 when I was 48.  I've always gone with my son, or with my son's mates, since they were 16-17.  This year I went aged 60 - in the back of my mind I wanted to hit that milestone, but having done so I don't feel any need to stop.  It's a different festival for me now than it was then - caravan rather than tent, Park rather than Pyramid - but so long as the body stays strong, the spirit will always be willing.

What might make a difference is that the kids are all late twenties now, pairing up and are beginning to have/countenance kids of their own. What decisions they make in the coming years about Glastonbury for them might make me reconsider what I want to do.  But right now I don't stop - ticket gods willing - until I can't physically do it any more.

I too was a late starter... first in 2007 when i was 48... I went with my nephews in a rented Campervan, missed 2008 and then bought my daughters (18 & 15) in 2009 and every year since..

This year i went aged 60 and also considered it an unspoken milestone..Bought a caravan in 2009, purely for festivals and love rocking up on Tuesday and having a 3 day camping trip with family and friends.. Its the 3 days of tromping around watching music with arthritic knees that is a struggle. One knee in particular is still struggling  badly.. (perhaps a replacement will give me second wind).

My wife has declared this year was her last. Bearded Theory and Latitude (and we passed on that this year) being enough.My daughters, who bring their boyfriends, are both moving out this year and their priorities may change.

i loved this year as much as any before. Watching the sun come up from Tricketts (a first), Hot Chip, Janelle, Lizzo, Aurora, crying at Kate Tempest, distressing clashes (missing Christine, Loyle Carner, Rickie Lee Jones and more). I will likely ignore the pain in my knee on t-day and sit there sweaty palmed with the rest of you..

Good luck in October @BluePaul We should have a celebratory beer next year if we both remain lucky.!  

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, phillyfaddle said:

There are loads of people I know who watched it this year on TV and have said they want to go next year, despite the fact they "hate festivals, not showering, blah,blah". 2020 is going to be a nightmare.

These sound like the type of people that if they do manage to get tickets will give them up once they see that don't like the 3 headliners. Which means more tickets back in the resale pot!

Two years now I have missed out in tickets, three years not going if I include the fallow year and I cannot wait to get back on the farm. You would think after a year or two the pain would be bareable when the festival is on, but I still can’t bring myself to watch any on the tv and went on holiday during it this year to avoid hearing about it.

Actually scared that the 50th will draw more hopefuls than ever and I’ll miss out again.

On 7/23/2019 at 11:28 PM, IntoTheWhite said:

Hello to all who frequent this forum. 

Just a few lines to say "i'me tired". I first went as a stary'ed eyed 16 year youth in 83.Brilliant and horrendous at the same time (my fault for the horrendous). Vowed, I'd never go back....... 

However. Years pass by, courting, marriage, children and a routine life set in, all the while, still luckily enough to stay friends with those you attended. with,albeit living in different parts of the country /world. 

We as a group have been fortunate enough to get tickets for the last 6 festivals and have had a blast, catching up and reliving our youth (without the added stimulai). This last festival being a highlight, musically wise. HOWEVER, and this is my own personal opinion only. I feel like the festival has lost its way. Its now a 24 Hr carnival. I appreciate that it has to appeal to all, and I may be older (not wiser), but I feel like the majority are there to tick a box, they don't realise that they are in the Vale of Avalon, in a hub of lay lines and a truly beautiful, spiritual place. 

I don't know. Maybe i'me a idealistic hippy, who's time is up and should realise this. 

I think at the end of the above drivel, is that I, we have been blessed with visiting a very special, sacred place. Forget the music, did you feel the spirit. I certainly did again on my last festival. 

Love Paolo x. 

i feel like this more and more every year

then afters a few months of pondering I am back wanting it again 

I think with age you become more reflective on everything

18 hours ago, BlueDaze said:

Good luck in October @BluePaul We should have a celebratory beer next year if we both remain lucky.!  

Thanks my Blue(s) Brother - sounds like a plan!

Gave up on Latitude years ago when it started to become the post-A-level generation party destination of choice.  Now favour Green Man (which I'm really looking forward to this year) or EOTR as my annual 'small' festival - WOMAD is also fun, keep meaning to try Bearded Theory and Beautiful Days - will have to retire first though!

On 7/24/2019 at 10:15 AM, Wooderson said:

I reckon a few peeps I know will reassess/take stock after the 50th.

I reckon I will, 12 times been and I love the place.  But 5 days just kills me and the drive back this time was horrendous, I've no self control whilst there lol.  My anxiety was through the roof on the way back and I almost had a total meltdown on the Severn bridge on the way back as I am scared of heights and I am anxious on it at the best of times lol, yeah I know its not even that high !

Having said that dealing with the FOMO whilst not there and its on is horrendous so we will see lol

I’ve missed out a lot on the main sale over the last 10 years and not bothered with the resale. Our outlook has always to book an alternative and try the next, of course we’re not getting any younger but it means when we do get to go we give it everything and really appreciate the farm.

last two were 2011 and 2016, so if I do manage next year , expect lots of mud and Coldplay ?