Post-festival struggle/life advice needed please

Sundance

I've been having these exact same thoughts since I've got back from the festival too. It really opens your eyes up and you see a much bigger, better and brighter world out there. I'm 29 now and work in an insanely busy office environment. I used to deal with primarily incoming calls and the queues would be constant with only a second 'beep' in-between customers from the moment I started my shift to when I went home. It was relentless.

I've recently managed to get a backfill role supporting another department but my god it's boring. I honestly sit there for 40 minutes waiting for an email or call to come through, all before another 40 minute wait for the next job/task. I honestly feel like they could do without me it's that quiet. It might sound great to have such an quiet job but believe me I'd rather be busy, the boredom is absolutely soul destroying. No one really talks to each other except about work. Everyone eats their lunch at their desk so I tend to sit in my car (I just need to get away from that chair and desk for a change of scenery). I'm mentally exhausted when I come home and just want to sleep. I constantly have tension headaches and the only time I don’t is on weekends or annual leave. 

I feel completely trapped because the only jobs out there in my vicinity have either way worse hours or way less pay and I get a generous amount of leave that I wouldn’t get anywhere else. There's no happy balance and I need a push to move away. I've become comfortable even though I hate it.

Glastonbury is a massive part of my life but there has to be more out there - I can't continue to go year by year waiting on that sole one weekend of happiness.

Edited by D-Low

• 1 month later...

Hi again everyone

I'm so sorry for dropping off after posting this! Life got in the way again and the longer I left it the more anxiety I had about reading all the posts (which sounds insane but hopefully makes some sort of sense?!).

I just wanted to thank you all so much for all the advice and kind words. I'm making my way through all the posts now and it's so comforting to know you all took the time to write replies. 

Still in the job and it's still mad (hence literally having 0 time to check the forum/anxiety spinning out of control), but I'm starting to make small positive changes, like making a concerted effort to do things I enjoy so that i'm not defined by work. Need to have a serious think about what my next steps are and will keep you posted.

Thanks again xx

• Upvote 3

59 minutes ago, Sundance said:

Still in the job and it's still mad (hence literally having 0 time to check the forum/anxiety spinning out of control), but I'm starting to make small positive changes, like making a concerted effort to do things I enjoy so that i'm not defined by work. Need to have a serious think about what my next steps are and will keep you posted.

Well done you.  Take care of yourself :)