Comedy audio... suggestions?

blutarsky

I like to listen to comedy podcasts and radio shows while walking the dog, but have run out of any to listen to. 

I really enjoy Stewart Lee and have listened to everything he has on Spotify. I like quite a few BBC R4 shows and listen to those if available, e.g. News Quiz, Mark Steel In Town, Just a Minute but am a bit bored of those atm. I don't like the Now Show, Dead Ringers. 

I also really enjoy Colin Murray's Blood On The Tracks Podcast and BBC 5L Fighting Talk and quite enjoyed the Peter Crouch Podcast. All three are between series atm. 

Does anyone have any recommendations?

1 hour ago, blutarsky said:

I like to listen to comedy podcasts and radio shows while walking the dog, but have run out of any to listen to. 

I really enjoy Stewart Lee and have listened to everything he has on Spotify. I like quite a few BBC R4 shows and listen to those if available, e.g. News Quiz, Mark Steel In Town, Just a Minute but am a bit bored of those atm. I don't like the Now Show, Dead Ringers. 

I also really enjoy Colin Murray's Blood On The Tracks Podcast and BBC 5L Fighting Talk and quite enjoyed the Peter Crouch Podcast. All three are between series atm. 

Elis James and John Robbins podcast, all of their Radio x shows and their new 5live show

hilarious stuff and you will have all the hours you need.

the Jeselink and Rosenthal vanity project is also good. depends if you like americans!

How did this get made is about terrible movies.

'Off menu' is from Ed gamble and James Acaster

15 hours ago, pryce said:

Elis James and John Robbins podcast, all of their Radio x shows and their new 5live show

hilarious stuff and you will have all the hours you need.

the Jeselink and Rosenthal vanity project is also good. depends if you like americans!

How did this get made is about terrible movies.

'Off menu' is from Ed gamble and James Acaster

I like Elis James but not a fan after an hour of the first episode. Will persevere through at least two episodes to see how it goes. 

Can't stand American podcasters as a general rule of thumb...

I like James Acaster so keen to try that one. 

13 hours ago, fred quimby said:

I enjoyed Evil or Genius by Russell Kane

Not really a Russell Kane fan but will give it a go, thanks.

9 minutes ago, blutarsky said:

I like Elis James but not a fan after an hour of the first episode. Will persevere through at least two episodes to see how it goes. 

Can't stand American podcasters as a general rule of thumb...

I like James Acaster so keen to try that one. 

Not really a Russell Kane fan but will give it a go, thanks.

might be better to start with a later podcast where they arnt new to the game, or maybe start with the 5live podcast

Richard Herring's Leicester Square Podcast (RHLSTP) - Long form interviews with mainly comedians from the funny one out of Lee and Herring. Manages to get a mixture of the very sincere and very silly, the classic example being Stephen Fry confessing to both having tried to suck his own cock and tried to kill himself in an early episode that helped put it on the map as it were.

Adam Buxton's Podcast is also very good in the short hairy comedians interviewing people category and he gets more musicians, authors and other non comedians than Herring.

On 7/22/2019 at 2:37 PM, blutarsky said:

Do you like Ricky Gervais?

On 7/26/2019 at 12:34 PM, WS_Jack_III said:

Do you like Ricky Gervais?

Yes and no... sometimes. I never find him laugh out loud funny.  

On 7/26/2019 at 6:19 AM, philipsteak said:

The Horne Section. It's just very silly and fun. Saw their live show a couple of weeks ago. also very silly

Yes, already a listener - it's real fun. 

On 7/26/2019 at 4:00 AM, mjsell said:

Athletico Mince - Bob Mortimer and Andy Dawson. Started as a purely football based comedy podcast but now its the two titting about, with football as a side topic. 

Will try it - I like Vic and Bob style surrealism. 

Seconded for RHLSTP (RHLSTP) and Adam Buxton. Also, The Bugle, which is a weekly podcast from Andy Zaltzman ripping it into the news. Since Jon Oliver left to become famous instead he has rolling co-hosts, so it varies a bit these days, but the ones with Nish Kumar and Tiff Stephenson are usually the best ones.

If you like James Acaster, he used to do a hilarious slot on Josh Widdicombe's old XFM pod telling a 'classic scrape'. These turned into the book he released (it's pretty good).

If you like sport, Widdicombe does a great 90s football podcast, Quickly Kevin, Will He Score? The eps with old players are alright, but the better ones are when he has comedians on and they rip it into a crap old footie doc. Here's one with Acaster (who doesn't even like football):

https://play.acast.com/s/quicklykevin/0bb2a67a-c753-4bf0-8291-b9a5a102fa2b

They also did a couple of pds taking apart Steve Bruce's famously bad thriller novels about a football manager called 'Steve Barnes' who solves crimes while also managing a Premiership team (I'm not making this up). Maybe the funniest pod I've ever heard - the books are insane:

https://play.acast.com/s/quicklykevin/148386e5-db4b-4abb-90ce-f6d1c07f494e

• Like 1

Off Menu can be good but find a lot of it hinges on the guest - Richard Osman was a surprisingly funny one!

Echo the mentions for Athletico Mince, funniest one around for my money. start at episode 1 and keep going.

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/30/2019 at 12:51 PM, Chef said:

Off Menu can be good but find a lot of it hinges on the guest - Richard Osman was a surprisingly funny one!

I've been picking and choosing which episodes to listen to. Always like Osman anyway, so I went for his.  

On 7/28/2019 at 6:47 PM, Homer said:

If you like sport, Widdicombe does a great 90s football podcast, Quickly Kevin, Will He Score? The eps with old players are alright, but the better ones are when he has comedians on and they rip it into a crap old footie doc. Here's one with Acaster (who doesn't even like football):

https://play.acast.com/s/quicklykevin/0bb2a67a-c753-4bf0-8291-b9a5a102fa2b

They also did a couple of pds taking apart Steve Bruce's famously bad thriller novels about a football manager called 'Steve Barnes' who solves crimes while also managing a Premiership team (I'm not making this up). Maybe the funniest pod I've ever heard - the books are insane:

QKWHS is great - my new favourite. Have a bank downloaded. 

Thanks everyone for the recommendations - gave me plenty to listen to on the beach during my holiday (26 days in Bali, yes it was amazing!).

On 7/28/2019 at 9:00 PM, philipsteak said:

Do the right thing.

Very funny panel show, that gets some amazing guests. New series staying soon

Quoting myself, but with good reason. The latest Do The Right Thing is just brilliant. Glad I listened at home and not, say, on public transport. Also, saw Michael Legge's (DTRT regular) show at the Fringe a few weeks ago. Also brilliant

On 7/28/2019 at 7:56 PM, Rufus Gwertigan said:

I have just tried to source a guy called Victor Lewis Smith who had some stuff in the early 90's. BBC iPlayer has himon but no episodes available. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b05tbwky/episodes/guide

You reminded me of this cassette, which may (or not) be in a potentially mouldy box in the loft somewhere.

https://www.discogs.com/Victor-Lewis-Smith-Tested-On-Humans-For-Irritancy/release/2948428

@blutarsky I'm assuming you've already heard far too much ISIHAC?

On 8/28/2019 at 9:19 AM, blutarsky said:

I've been picking and choosing which episodes to listen to. Always like Osman anyway, so I went for his. 

On 7/30/2019 at 12:51 PM, Chef said:

If you're someone who picks and chooses which Off Menus to watch I'd heartily recommend catching the Jordan Banjo one, it'd be one I'd skip if I where skipping them but you absolutely shouldn't it's hilarious Jordan Banjo is ridiculous and James and Ed can't contain themselves.

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/28/2019 at 6:47 PM, Homer said:

Listened to this last week, amazing stuff. Did they ever do the other books?

8 hours ago, Gnomicide said:

Listened to this last week, amazing stuff. Did they ever do the other books?

As far as i know they have only two out of three of the books. Have you listened to the second, Sweeper? It’s called this because the stadium janitor gets murdered!

https://play.acast.com/s/quicklykevin/36dae1b5-4eaa-4df0-9165-a7f57e51f2b8

• Upvote 1