Benicassim (FIB) 2020

The Toad.

2 hours ago, Jonesy1 said:

Think at this point we’ve got next to no chance unfortunately. Spain’s had it bad, and even if it slows down over the next few weeks I can’t see them taking any unnecessary risks in the coming months.

Yeah I agree, still annoys me knowing they’re going to take it to the wire. I don’t think we’ll get a decision till late May early June. I think with this being the new promoters first year and the money they’d have pumped into it, if it doesn’t go ahead who knows what could happen to the festival 

19 minutes ago, TipToes24 said:

Yeah I agree, still annoys me knowing they’re going to take it to the wire. I don’t think we’ll get a decision till late May early June. I think with this being the new promoters first year and the money they’d have pumped into it, if it doesn’t go ahead who knows what could happen to the festival 

Just hope they can rely on insurance. Otherwise they may just cut their losses. However, they may be reluctant to do that because it is the most well known festival they’ve got.

Reckon theres any chance they may postpone the festival till a little later in the year? Beni has the luxury of being on effectively a purpose built site that literally takes 1-2 days to set up (Ive seen the main stage go up in less than 24 hours one year) so its not exactly the biggest operation that requires a multitude of external staff available. You've also got the fact the the weather in Beni is still decent enough in October for camping, especially for us Brits. This may be a better option for them financially to take, and as its their first year im sure theyd be keen to make a big impression?

Noticed as well that another festival taking place in Benicassim this year, SanSan festival, has been postponed from April till October, so theres definitely some hope / optimism between those who organise festivals that conditions may improve enough by October to hold such events. 

I know we all like to moan about the lineups year on year, but id be more than happy to take a heavily reduced lineup if it means they can put something on later this year. 

36 minutes ago, TheFullShaboo said:

Reckon theres any chance they may postpone the festival till a little later in the year? Beni has the luxury of being on effectively a purpose built site that literally takes 1-2 days to set up (Ive seen the main stage go up in less than 24 hours one year) so its not exactly the biggest operation that requires a multitude of external staff available. You've also got the fact the the weather in Beni is still decent enough in October for camping, especially for us Brits. This may be a better option for them financially to take, and as its their first year im sure theyd be keen to make a big impression?

Noticed as well that another festival taking place in Benicassim this year, SanSan festival, has been postponed from April till October, so theres definitely some hope / optimism between those who organise festivals that conditions may improve enough by October to hold such events. 

I know we all like to moan about the lineups year on year, but id be more than happy to take a heavily reduced lineup if it means they can put something on later this year. 

I'd be more than happy to see it postponed and wouldn't care whos playing. 

2 hours ago, Sarahwalsh24 said:

I'd be more than happy to see it postponed and wouldn't care whos playing. 

Would be nice to see it postponed to get something in for this year, but whether or not they’ll be able to secure all the acts to make it worthwhile for a postponement is a diff question. 
Got a trip booked down to see RHCP (Ejekt Festival) in early June in Greece and they’re not confirming anything yet.

Best guess is that they’re securing enough tickets so that people will hang on to them for another day 

17 minutes ago, Tommy69 said:

Would be nice to see it postponed to get something in for this year, but whether or not they’ll be able to secure all the acts to make it worthwhile for a postponement is a diff question. 
Got a trip booked down to see RHCP (Ejekt Festival) in early June in Greece and they’re not confirming anything yet.

Best guess is that they’re securing enough tickets so that people will hang on to them for another day 

Well unlike a lot of festivals they have plenty of time to organise a back up plan. I'm sure theres plenty of artists eager to get back to work and make some money too. 

53 minutes ago, TipToes24 said:

Unsure what to make of this but looks like 3 stages, im sure south beach will count as 1. I don’t know what we are meant to stay tuned for though 

EED453A0-4463-4DF9-A9BE-BCE96338EB88.png

Didnt they say there was an announcement in April. I really hope they are working hard on a postponement for later in the year. If anyone can do it they can with the venue that they have and they have plenty of time to work out the artists. 

47 minutes ago, Jonesy1 said:

2 stages and south beach would be enough imo. The 3 big stages last year was just far too much, looked ridiculous half the time.

Yeah that thunderbitch stage last year was atrocious, we went to see a few acts there and was greeted by 50 people max! I hope it’s not the map as none of it makes any sense going off previous years! I hope they don’t mess with the lay out as it all makes sense how things are 

2 hours ago, TipToes24 said:

Yeah that thunderbitch stage last year was atrocious, we went to see a few acts there and was greeted by 50 people max! I hope it’s not the map as none of it makes any sense going off previous years! I hope they don’t mess with the lay out as it all makes sense how things are 

Can’t see it being a map, just looks like a quick graphic they’ve thrown together.

4 hours ago, Sarahwalsh24 said:

Does anyone know what Bennicasm is like in general. If the festival doesn't go ahead we are thinking of still going if flights are still on. 

Beni will be relatively quiet if the festival isn’t on, but you have the beach and can get a train to valencia if you fancy a few days out there. Will all come down to the flights being okay leading up to it. If the festival cancels in the coming month can imagine a lot of people rescheduling/cancelling.
If WHO change their mind on their advice for people heading to Spain (baring in mind it’s pretty hard hit at the mo) then it’s gonna come down to your own choice... and whether you feel comfortable heading out there. 

14 hours ago, Sarahwalsh24 said:

Does anyone know what Bennicasm is like in general. If the festival doesn't go ahead we are thinking of still going if flights are still on. 

If the flights are still on then I’d imagine the festival will be as well. If they’re allowing international travel then I can’t really see anything stopping the festival from going ahead?
I’d say they’re likely to lift restrictions on social gatherings before allowing international arrivals, certainly from places like the UK that’ll be behind them in terms of controlling the virus. 

For know I’m keeping an eye on Mad Cool festival. You’d imagine if that goes ahead then so will Beni. 

2 hours ago, TheFullShaboo said:

If the flights are still on then I’d imagine the festival will be as well. If they’re allowing international travel then I can’t really see anything stopping the festival from going ahead?
I’d say they’re likely to lift restrictions on social gatherings before allowing international arrivals, certainly from places like the UK that’ll be behind them in terms of controlling the virus. 

For know I’m keeping an eye on Mad Cool festival. You’d imagine if that goes ahead then so will Beni. 

My mate in Oropesa reckons they are about to relax the lockdown but he has also been told that it will be at least mid June before they reconsider opening bars ! This is more anecdotal than fact but it’s the word on the wild streets of Oropesa !

International flights will resume way, way before festivals.

International flight - 150 people, controlled environment, enforcement of masks, some potential for social distancing even (e.g. 2 people per row of 3).

Festival - 30,000 people crammed together, free-flowing alcohol, no masks, potential sharing of cups, need for medical services on standby

Travel is viewed an essential service by government, music festivals are not.

A lot of the initial mass corona infections took place at mass gatherings.  I'm not expecting any festivals for the rest of the year sadly and possibly most of 2021.

Edited by xxialac
  • Upvote 1

53 minutes ago, xxialac said:

International flights will resume way, way before festivals.

International flight - 150 people, controlled environment, enforcement of masks, some potential for social distancing even (e.g. 2 people per row of 3).

Festival - 30,000 people crammed together, free-flowing alcohol, no masks, potential sharing of cups, need for medical services on standby

Travel is viewed an essential service by government, music festivals are not.

A lot of the initial mass corona infections took place at mass gatherings.  I'm not expecting any festivals for the rest of the year sadly and possibly most of 2021.

But yet they haven’t forced any of the music festivals to cancel (to my understanding) whilst they’ve effectively closed their borders from any incoming flights?

But yeah, it would seem a little ridiculous to allow festivals to continue and use vital emergency services resource, but until they official ban them then surely the festival would rather it go ahead from a financial point of view. 

I feel its hard to grasp exactly how things will play out mainly because of how fast the situation is changing, we can only take each day as it comes and go from there.

1 hour ago, gedkelly said:

My mate in Oropesa reckons they are about to relax the lockdown but he has also been told that it will be at least mid June before they reconsider opening bars ! This is more anecdotal than fact but it’s the word on the wild streets of Oropesa !

Has he heard anything specific about the likelihood of the festival going ahead? 

31 minutes ago, TheFullShaboo said:

But yet they haven’t forced any of the music festivals to cancel (to my understanding) whilst they’ve effectively closed their borders from any incoming flights?

But yeah, it would seem a little ridiculous to allow festivals to continue and use vital emergency services resource, but until they official ban them then surely the festival would rather it go ahead from a financial point of view. 

I feel its hard to grasp exactly how things will play out mainly because of how fast the situation is changing, we can only take each day as it comes and go from there.

They haven't forced any of the music festivals to cancel simply because there haven't been any music festivals yet during the state of emergency in Spain.

Obviously the festival would rather it go ahead.

But it won't be their decision, just as today it isn't the decision of businesses whether they are open or not.

If there are mass gatherings, there will be an increase in the numbers of infected and pressure on health services. I would put the chances of Benicassim going ahead in July at about 1% - and that's being generous.

Don't really understand the idea either of whether you might feel comfortable being in Spain. The UK is going to suffer every bit as badly as Spain. If anything Spain might be a more 'comfortable' place, as they will emerge from lockdown and start to recover before us.

Edited by xxialac

34 minutes ago, xxialac said:

They haven't forced any of the music festivals to cancel simply because there haven't been any music festivals yet during the state of emergency in Spain.

Obviously the festival would rather it go ahead.

But it won't be their decision, just as today it isn't the decision of businesses whether they are open or not.

If there are mass gatherings, there will be an increase in the numbers of infected and pressure on health services. I would put the chances of Benicassim going ahead in July at about 1% - and that's being generous.

Don't really understand the idea either of whether you might feel comfortable being in Spain. The UK is going to suffer every bit as badly as Spain. If anything Spain might be a more 'comfortable' place, as they will emerge from lockdown and start to recover before us.

Hopefully when this state of emergency is spain ends a few of the restrictions on mass gatherings are lifted then if that situation continues to improve. I’m sure there was talk of La Liga resuming before the start of the festival (whether this was behind closed doors or not im not sure).

of course, that’s why my initial concern was whether or not british tourists would be allowed into the country because of the situation here being a couple of weeks behind Spain! 

Unfortunately I think your prediction of a 1% chance is probably spot on, but whilst there’s no official confirmation I’m holding onto whatever hope is there is. 

• Upvote 1