Benicassim (FIB) 2020

The Toad.

18 hours ago, Jonesy1 said:

As far as I’m aware the takeover hasn’t actually been finalised so might be a couple of weeks before we hear anything.

Ahhh that explains it all then! Looking forward to see what we hear, missing the place already even tho I promised myself I’d wait till Christmas a nice little war cry from the account to bury a few doubts could sway me again ?

For what it is worth. 

This was my first year after doing szieght for the last two years. I was really impressed with the set up, glamping was fine, no real loutish behaviour at our part. We were about a even 30% each UK, Irish and Spanish and a few others. Age range was 85 percent 16-30. When I was in the venue I felt there were more Spanish than the camp site and a good older 30 plus age group. 

The set up inside was good. Bars were empty and no hassle getting served or trouble. I enjoyed the Thursday night and as my flights are were Tuesday to Tuesday so it really suited me and others who wanted to stay a few extra days. Marina was okay and FBS was good but a bit flat in the middle. 

Saturday and Friday I really liked were Gerry and Hunna KOL and top pick as was blossom. The thunder bitch was a waste far too large and wasted on a few good acts.

Sunday was great with George and FF but left too much time to Hot Tub that was turned out to be bouncing

The buses, food, walking and set up was great. 

They may move it next year down closer to castellon to be closer to a city just like trsmit and a few others. This should provide better links by train. 

After a disappointing line up and scepticism I am seriously thinking of going back. So much for a one off. 

Here is hoping for the same venue with a bit more older uk-irish acts. 

Edited by Davidoff

If the takeover isn’t complete and they’ve just had to take control of arenal sound then what do we think is happening at beni HQ? Surely this time most years some planning/organisation would be going on? I know it’s only a few weeks but i just hope something’s have stayed the same at the HQ. 

7 minutes ago, TheFullShaboo said:

i know its only been two weeks, but i'm finding this lack of communication from the festival very worrying....

Not even a statement asking people to be patient, nothing about the take over! From the articles this new company are planning on taking benicassim very serious but the lack of communication seems otherwise! The flames from this year’s festival have burnt out and it just seems like the forgotten festival by now 

36 minutes ago, TipToes24 said:

Not even a statement asking people to be patient, nothing about the take over! From the articles this new company are planning on taking benicassim very serious but the lack of communication seems otherwise! The flames from this year’s festival have burnt out and it just seems like the forgotten festival by now 

I know its only hearsay, but the amount of comments i've come across on twitter stating that they've heard from locals that the festivals is moving isn't very reassuring. For me personally the town of Benicassim plays such a big part in the festivals success. If it moves i am afraid i've already been to my last ever FIB...

2 minutes ago, TheFullShaboo said:

I know its only hearsay, but the amount of comments i've come across on twitter stating that they've heard from locals that the festivals is moving isn't very reassuring. For me personally the town of Benicassim plays such a big part in the festivals success. If it moves i am afraid i've already been to my last ever FIB...

I heard the salou rumours after beni 2018 so I think there must be something in it to come up 2 years in a row, especially with how far benicassim and salou are apart! There would be plenty of places in between to pick from if people were making things up! Salou is a busy place in the summer and has a decent nightlife scene from what I’ve heard is a far cry from benicassim! But if they move it, it’ll be a name change as well and I think many will follow you in this year being the last! 

1 hour ago, TipToes24 said:

I heard the salou rumours after beni 2018 so I think there must be something in it to come up 2 years in a row, especially with how far benicassim and salou are apart! There would be plenty of places in between to pick from if people were making things up! Salou is a busy place in the summer and has a decent nightlife scene from what I’ve heard is a far cry from benicassim! But if they move it, it’ll be a name change as well and I think many will follow you in this year being the last! 

To change the location and the name would be a massive risk. I don’t think there will be any major changes next year, but then again the complete silence is very worrying. The Spanish news articles on the takeover seem to have dried up as well.

4 hours ago, Jonesy1 said:

To change the location and the name would be a massive risk. I don’t think there will be any major changes next year, but then again the complete silence is very worrying. The Spanish news articles on the takeover seem to have dried up as well.

The articles at the start seemed as if the deal was signed, sealed and delivered but that can’t be the case with us being 2 weeks without a tweet now! This was my worry because I know it’s not long but surely these two weeks were used for something planning wise? Wether it would be getting a list of potential names for 2020 or approaching sponsors? With the lack of crowds last year I thought they’d be scrambling to right the wrongs of last year 

6 hours ago, TipToes24 said:

The articles at the start seemed as if the deal was signed, sealed and delivered but that can’t be the case with us being 2 weeks without a tweet now! This was my worry because I know it’s not long but surely these two weeks were used for something planning wise? Wether it would be getting a list of potential names for 2020 or approaching sponsors? With the lack of crowds last year I thought they’d be scrambling to right the wrongs of last year 

As far as I’m aware the contract was 99% over line and was just needing signatures(well that’s what I read in broken English). However, it’s been a while since we’ve heard anything. I’ve still hope the festivals going ahead as usual next year but if we’ve not heard anything after another 2/3 weeks then I’ll probably give up hope and start to look elsewhere.

From what I've heard, the deal has already been done for The Music Republic to take over operating FIB from 2020, and a new team will be in place to run the festival from their offices in Valencia, from the start of Sept.  Likelihood is that it will take place at the same site in Benicassim, and over the same weekend as usual, so 16th-19th July 2020, but that tickets won't be going on sale until Sep/Oct time, following an announcement next month confirming dates.  The new owners seem to be more than aware that the success of high attendee numbers at FIB is to have 50% from UK/IRE, so 25,000, and brining the right bands/acts in to appeal to them.  I think they are hoping to combine the feel of an International festival (acts & attendees), with the success they have in arranging the numerous domestic festivals, all of which sell out way in advance every year.  It's a different style of festival, and attracts a complete different pundit, but Arenal Sound sold out over 50,000 tickets in a day when last weekends event went on sale.  The big Q, for me, is what clout the Sanchez brothers will have in bringing in the big headline act each year (such as Muse, RHCP, Killers, KOL), now that ties with the likes of Melvin Benn/Denis Desmond/Vince Power have been severed moving forwards. The big festival game is pretty much a monopoly these days, especially in Europe, with the likes of Benn's Festival Republic/Live Nation, having much more pulling power than the likes of the Sanchez boys.

Assuming the festival is going ahead then, what set of headliners would do the business in bringing in the punters from UK/IRE and Spain next July???  I think The Cure, Tame Impala, Stormzy & Noel Gallagher would get tickets moving, if all announced early enough. 

Edited by andytommo
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Just had a quick look on Efestivals now and noticed that after the last takeover (2014 festival) early birds didn't go on sale until Mid August but more shockingly the first acts weren't announced until mid February! I appreciate that the similarities between next year and 2014 end with the takeover, but if that's anything to go by i cant imagine many people wanting to hold out till February to see the lineup. Id imagine a fair portion of the usual punters will commit to a replacement festival before then - including a fair share of my group!

47 minutes ago, TheFullShaboo said:

Just had a quick look on Efestivals now and noticed that after the last takeover (2014 festival) early birds didn't go on sale until Mid August but more shockingly the first acts weren't announced until mid February! I appreciate that the similarities between next year and 2014 end with the takeover, but if that's anything to go by i cant imagine many people wanting to hold out till February to see the lineup. Id imagine a fair portion of the usual punters will commit to a replacement festival before then - including a fair share of my group!

Feb would be far too late, my group said we are hanging on till Christmas and then we are deciding then! 5 months to get a group of lads in their mid 20 to organise a trip abroad would be impossible with my motley crew! 

1 hour ago, andytommo said:

From what I've heard, the deal has already been done for The Music Republic to take over operating FIB from 2020, and a new team will be in place to run the festival from their offices in Valencia, from the start of Sept.  Likelihood is that it will take place at the same site in Benicassim, and over the same weekend as usual, so 16th-19th July 2020, but that tickets won't be going on sale until Sep/Oct time, following an announcement next month confirming dates.  The new owners seem to be more than aware that the success of high attendee numbers at FIB is to have 50% from UK/IRE, so 25,000, and brining the right bands/acts in to appeal to them.  I think they are hoping to combine the feel of an International festival (acts & attendees), with the success they have in arranging the numerous domestic festivals, all of which sell out way in advance every year.  It's a different style of festival, and attracts a complete different pundit, but Arenal Sound sold out over 50,000 tickets in a day when last weekends event went on sale.  The big Q, for me, is what clout the Sanchez brothers will have in bringing in the big headline act each year (such as Muse, RHCP, Killers, KOL), now that ties with the likes of Melvin Benn/Denis Desmond/Vince Power have been severed moving forwards. The big festival game is pretty much a monopoly these days, especially in Europe, with the likes of Benn's Festival Republic/Live Nation, having much more pulling power than the likes of the Sanchez boys.

Assuming the festival is going ahead then, what set of headliners would do the business in bringing in the punters from UK/IRE and Spain next July???  I think The Cure, Tame Impala, Stormzy & Noel Gallagher would get tickets moving, if all announced early enough. 

Kasabian announced yesterday that there’s a new album on the way! That would attract a fair few I think! Headliners are important I just they have the right acts in mind to flesh it out. But if any of Noel, Mumford, tame, chemical brothers or  foals gets announced I’ll be booking flights quicker than you can say “another sangria sir?”

6 minutes ago, TipToes24 said:

Twitter interactions with FIB are non existent now, people aren’t even asking what’s going on, if they are starting the ball rolling in September like Andy has heard do people think that the buzz will come back instantly or they’ll have a uphill struggle? 

I really think they need to get the lineup out much earlier. Having the main announcements in April/May is absolutely pointless, the vast majority of people have sorted their summer plans by then. If we don’t hear anything until September, then they should follow Mad Cools lead and have a large chunk of the lineup announced by Christmas, get the buzz back and give people as long as possible to get booked up.

On 8/13/2019 at 4:59 PM, TipToes24 said:

Twitter interactions with FIB are non existent now, people aren’t even asking what’s going on, if they are starting the ball rolling in September like Andy has heard do people think that the buzz will come back instantly or they’ll have a uphill struggle? 

Most people don't book up any accommodation or flights until the back end of the year, or start of the year at the earliest, so I think a ticket launch for October combined 1 x decent main headliner (with half a dozen support acts), would get people buying tickets again.  With this years poorer line up, together with there being no confirmation of dates or early birds, then as we all know they've well and truly lost the loyalty for people committing to going without any idea of line up.  For 2020, they have to have at least 3 of the 4 headliners announced by January, plus half of the full line-up (and a decent one at that - much better than 2019), if they want to get back to numbers of 2016/2017/2018.

3 hours ago, andytommo said:

Most people don't book up any accommodation or flights until the back end of the year, or start of the year at the earliest, so I think a ticket launch for October combined 1 x decent main headliner (with half a dozen support acts), would get people buying tickets again.  With this years poorer line up, together with there being no confirmation of dates or early birds, then as we all know they've well and truly lost the loyalty for people committing to going without any idea of line up.  For 2020, they have to have at least 3 of the 4 headliners announced by January, plus half of the full line-up (and a decent one at that - much better than 2019), if they want to get back to numbers of 2016/2017/2018.

Already booked summer 2020 and it’s not the FiB !

21 hours ago, andytommo said:

Bit of a long shot here but do you have any idea what the line up announcements are like with other festivals this lot do? Like beni use to stick to the sort of same schedule where as other festivals throw out massive chunks of their line ups in one go...if they are the type to give us massive announcements then my faith may be restored ?

Most flights will not be up until late in September and the first announcement was November last year. I think most people will be looking to book after this. A few of my friends booked just before the early bird tickets closed in Jan/Feb time.

A few Festivals made announcements on 19th September/October and a second announcement before the end of the year.  

I am not sure I will manage this year and I think its Szeiget for me. At nearly £400 its good but I though Benni was far better and at £100 at was the best value for money ever.

I can see Kasabian and Biffy as both have new albums and appeal to the crowd. Possibly Gerry coming back and a big band name on the Saturday night. Possibly a female pop act for one night. Swedish House Mafia are back or a big DJ name.

Edited by Davidoff

Does anyone know if this takeover will bring a whole new team? Or do they just oversee the operation? What I mean is will the bookers from previous years still have their jobs or is it a complete overhaul? I did find one of the bookers in twitter but a drunken tweet of a picture of the crowd size of vetusa morla got me blocked by him.