Shameless Rip-offs

mcshed

One of my favourite one album wonders is Stargazing for Beginners by Pale Seas. This song, good though it is seems to be not unrelated to the second one by Gustavo Cerati - Av. Alcorta, which in itself is a cracking tune.

Blatant rip off...or a fluke/coincidence?

Edited by Copperface

1 hour ago, Fish Bulb said:

Volkswagen did this to Beach House too:

Apparently Beach House turned down an approach then an ad agency just found a soundalike band: https://www.spin.com/2012/05/beach-house-are-well-aware-car-ad-ripped-them/

The brass neck of these people, it's like passing off the Babybel tune as an original composition.

1 hour ago, Fish Bulb said:

Volkswagen did this to Beach House too:

Apparently Beach House turned down an approach then an ad agency just found a soundalike band: https://www.spin.com/2012/05/beach-house-are-well-aware-car-ad-ripped-them/

The brass neck of these people, it's like passing off the Babybel tune as an original composition.

And then doing it twice, for some reason.

Edited by stuartbert two hats

On 7/21/2019 at 7:41 AM, found home in 2009 said:

I always felt Golden Retriever by Super Furry Animals was a rip off of Spread your love like a fever by Black Rebel Motorcycle Club

Liam Gallagher also ripped it off with Shockwave.

That XX / Boss one is awful, but then the Beach House / VW one is even worse

i defnitetly noticed a lot of budget adverts a few years back were changing one note from a well known dance tune , presumably in and attempt to dodge paying a fee

defnitelty remember a particular similar one of midnight city by M83 but forget the brand. 

Boss and VW have gone to extreme lengths to rip those off tho 

On 8/7/2022 at 1:52 AM, BumJuice said:

Madonnas Beautiful Stranger is based on this. Esp 1:30 

Wasn't aware of this one, you can understand why they did it, they wanted a 60's sound for the Austin Powers film.

Wikipedia,

USA Today's Ken Barnes has suggested that the chorus, riff, instrumentation and structure of "Beautiful Stranger" were based on American rock band Love's 1966 single "She Comes in Colors".[18][19][20] The band's record company—Rhino Records—executive Gary Stewart stated that "Certainly, the riff and instrumentation [of 'Beautiful Stranger'] are reminiscent of 'She Comes in Colors,'" and that the "da da da da da" chorus on the track seems to be based upon "an instrumental flourish that's an integral part of the [Love] record. It may be a conscious or an unconscious homage." Madonna denied any such influence, claiming that she had never heard of Love.[18]

I Suppose if Madonna wrote the lyrics and left the music to William orbit she might be telling the truth when she says she "never heard of Love" but it's pretty bad form to do a pastiche and not credit the original work IMO.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, henry bear said:

When writing ‘She’s Electric’ Noel G must haven taken inspiration from this 70’s/80’s kids TV show:

Nice shot of Alice at the end! Worked in a record shop when Morning Glory was released, first listen we all groaned at the inspiration from Imagine, Beatles drum rolls etc but we loved singing You & Me to this! Wore off quick after hearing it 5 days a week for 18 months. . .

I haven't read any of this thread, so am not sure if this has been mentioned before.

What is 'this'?

Well, this is this (not said in a mafia drawl);

Perfect, beautiful, and harrowing:

And 'this' - this is the very definition of

(1) Shite

(2) The product of someone who is a musical slag, and a human devoid of respect.

• 3 weeks later...

Another one is Suicidal Tendencies’ ‘I saw your Mommy’ and Puddle of Mudd’s ‘She Hates me’.

Even though the lyrics are different,I genuinely thought the Puddle of Mudd version was a cover/officially based on the Suicidal Tendencies until fairly recently.

Doesn’t seem to have been any attempts to sue or anything though.