Shameless Rip-offs

mcshed

So after enjoying Babymetal at Glastonbury I've been chatting to a mate at work who is into a wider range of alternative idol groups.

I was introduced to There There Theres who are a much dancier affair, but their track Sunrise=Sunset is remarkable.

It's such a blatant copy of Born Slippy it's ridiculous. So what are the worst examples of bands ripping off others' works?

1 hour ago, John the Moth said:

Lana del Rey / Radiohead / The Hollies

Get Free / Creep / The Air That I Breathe

only heard the creep air that I breathe comparison recently - it's uncanny 

9 hours ago, mcshed said:

So after enjoying Babymetal at Glastonbury I've been chatting to a mate at work who is into a wider range of alternative idol groups.

I was introduced to There There Theres who are a much dancier affair, but their track Sunrise=Sunset is remarkable.

It's such a blatant copy of Born Slippy it's ridiculous. So what are the worst examples of bands ripping off others' works?

Personally don’t see many similarities here at all

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, KHazza said:

Personally don’t see many similarities here at all

I think the Spotify preview is from later in the track when it has descended into something a bit different but you can't listen to the opening of that track and not hear the similarity.

Venerable exponents of indie landfill The Enemy put out an album in their twilight years which they claimed was original material, but was in fact crap covers of famous Britpop singles with some minor tweaks and shite lyrics. It's hilarious for the sheer brass balls of it, and how poor it is even when they stole all the tunes.

• Upvote 2

14 hours ago, Rose-Colored Boy said:

The first 20 seconds of this one is so hilariously blatant, James Murphy could probably sue them. But I love both bands, so I don’t even mind

Considering James Murphy is one of the all time great thiefs i don’t think he would mind. 

47 minutes ago, Rubber Soldier said:

The singer from The Good, The Bad and The Queen sounds like the guy from Blur. Does that count? 

2 hours ago, Calvin Klein said:

Considering James Murphy is one of the all time great thiefs i don’t think he would mind. 

Both of them ripped off Boys Keep Swinging something rotten.

11 hours ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

Venerable exponents of indie landfill The Enemy put out an album in their twilight years which they claimed was original material, but was in fact crap covers of famous Britpop singles with some minor tweaks and shite lyrics. It's hilarious for the sheer brass balls of it, and how poor it is even when they stole all the tunes.

Fascinated by this. They were diabolical in the first place.

17 hours ago, crazyfool1 said:

The bbq chicken meal I had near the jp ... disgusting crap for £9 .... is this the right thread ? :) 

I had the same before Sharon Van Etten, the way it was written up on the board made it sound amazing, but it was so disgustingly dry, worst meal I've had all year!

I always thought the funniest instance of stealing music was John Fogerty, ex-Creedence Clearwater Revival, who was sued by a record company for plagiarising himself, they owned the rights to his song Run Through The Jungle, and accused him of stealing it for The Old Man Down The Road. He won.

On ‎7‎/‎21‎/‎2019 at 12:00 AM, stuartbert two hats said:

I'll tell you what isn't a rip off and should never have even gone to court - Blurred Lines.

I know the song and the artist were problematic in other ways, but not for ripping off Marvin Gaye.

Damn straight.

I suspect the problem here is that the jury involved didn't have an understanding of musical theory and could be easily lead by a lawyer. But the ramifications for future music are quite worrying.