Kacey Musgraves On The Pymild

CaledonianGonzo

2 hours ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Any suggestions for a song from the last 5 years better than Rainbow 🌈 ?

I was going to list a couple of her others ones but I can't choose. I reckon the album is one of the very few where there's no songs less than an 8 or 9/10. Can she maintain the standard? Bloody hope so...

Do you think she’d still play 5th down? Or could she slide up to like 4th?

she’s really strange as she’s a pretty popular artist across the world (in the states she’s probably a sub or third down at a fest like Coachella) but in the UK there are a lot of people still unfamiliar with her. I don’t think she’s targeted the UK market especially hard either.

On 8/28/2021 at 9:15 AM, Matt42 said:

Do you think she’d still play 5th down? Or could she slide up to like 4th?

she’s really strange as she’s a pretty popular artist across the world (in the states she’s probably a sub or third down at a fest like Coachella) but in the UK there are a lot of people still unfamiliar with her. I don’t think she’s targeted the UK market especially hard either.

The last tour she did in the uk sold out. And you might get a better idea on placement in a bit.

1 hour ago, Suprefan said:

Arenas in the u.s. So where does that place things for europe. Was surprised nothing for over there yet

5fmBJFmkeD84LexAmoyp7E2ZeqEfMkuj6IM9a333.jpeg

Should come soon. She already has a date at primavera in June. I think she’s as close to nailed for Glastonbury as you can be. A good slot on el pointo is a steal considering the quality of her output. If anything, the UK not being fully clued up to her is a blessing.

Just now, Ddiamondd said:

Fair enough! In my head she was 2nd on. Makes sense. Would probably anticipate a nudge up still.

She’s going to be in a bizarre place. In the states she’s pretty much a guaranteed sub / third down at a push wherever she plays. Probably nudging on small festival headliner in the states now.

Here a lot of people don’t know her. I don’t think this album will change that unfortunately - I’ve not seen her get majorly picked up by places like R1 or anything.

• 2 weeks later...

Only a couple of listens in so I’m sure moments will start to shine through on more repeat listens, but it’s pretty obvious that this isn’t another total home run like Golden Hour was. A lot of the songs never really rise above a certain level of MOR for a large portion of the album, and the choruses just don’t seem to pop like they did on the last one. Maybe a stylistic choice given the nature of the album, but whereas I was hoping and kind of expecting a bit of a ‘fuck you, I don’t need a man’ album with ‘in your face’ bangers galore, this sits more in the ‘damn I sure am divorced’ category instead, with a lack of bangers. No High Horses here, although a couple of songs towards the end pick things up a little bit, and there’s a pretty sweet flute solo.

Not that it’s a bad album at all, ‘cause it’s not, but after such high expectations coming off the back of Golden Hour it’s a little disappointing for the songwriting on this one to just seemingly not be up to the same standard. 

Edited by FloorFiller

1 hour ago, FloorFiller said:

Only a couple of listens in so I’m sure moments will start to shine through on more repeat listens, but it’s pretty obvious that this isn’t another total home run like Golden Hour was. A lot of the songs never really rise above a certain level of MOR for a large portion of the album, and the choruses just don’t seem to pop like they did on the last one. Maybe a stylistic choice given the nature of the album, but whereas I was hoping and kind of expecting a bit of a ‘fuck you, I don’t need a man’ album with ‘in your face’ bangers galore, this sits more in the ‘damn I sure am divorced’ category instead, with a lack of bangers. No High Horses here, although a couple of songs towards the end pick things up a little bit, and there’s a pretty sweet flute solo.

Not that it’s a bad album at all, ‘cause it’s not, but after such high expectations coming off the back of Golden Hour it’s a little disappointing for the songwriting on this one to just seemingly not be up to the same standard. 

The “only Dua is making bangers” title lives on.

11 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

This is a category error. High Horse aside, she doesn't really trade in dancefloor destroyers.  Golden Hour is a warm sunny album, but Future Nostalgia it ain't.

Maybe bangers is the incorrect term here, but this one largely seems to be missing the big soaring choruses of the likes of Lonely Weekend, Happy & Sad etc. We all knew this would be somewhat of a saddy, but that doesn’t mean you have to keep the tempo consistently at medium. But like I say, maybe and hopefully repeat listens will reveal some gems regardless of the songs not filling me with waves of euphoria.