Kacey Musgraves On The Pymild

CaledonianGonzo

4 hours ago, gherkin8r said:

Haha - nothing if not compliant 

My missus saw her in 2014 on the acoustic stage almost by accident and absolutely loved it. Not heard the new album yet mind. 

I only saw 3 and a half acts on the Pymild stage this year. I only have to pick roughly 30 out of 3000 so I'm fairly ok with there being some stuff on that I don't know/ don't care about or even utterly hate. If the presence of someone would make some e-fester's wildly happy then I say go for it. I probably won't watch unless they grab my attention on a playlist but it's not exactly my favourite stage anyway so the less I know on there, the better. 

46 minutes ago, Rose-Colored Boy said:

She’s doing a show with Maggie Rogers in October.. looking forward to those two Queens headlining and subbing the Pyramid in 2025 ❤️

With Yola as well.  She was glorious on the Avalon stage this year.  If you think you'll like a soul/country crossover I can fully recommend her album!

Edited by Greenelk

17 hours ago, Cabaret_Tent said:

The Acoustic was surprisingly sparse when she played last time...

Country music is nearly always poorly supported at Glastonbury (the obvious act aside). Kacey Musgraves and Zac Brown Band both played to crowds that were the best part of bugger all in recent years. This year Lukas Nelson and the Promise of the Real wasn't exactly packed at the park.

I guess it may be changing slowly as more country is played on Radio 2. 

Country music really has no impact in the UK at all. I’m pretty sure Old Town Road hasn’t been as big here as across the world. 

I think OTR was #1 for only two weeks right?

Kacey has had 0 impact in the UK too but I guess that all could change.

4 hours ago, Greenelk said:

With Yola as well.  She was glorious on the Avalon stage this year.  If you think you'll like a soul/country crossover I can fully recommend her album!

Yeah Yola was and is great isn't she. Took a few people along who had never heard of her and they really enjoyed it too. I was pretty surprised though to hear this song playing in a restaurant in Malcesine, Italy this weekend!

Margo Price was on very early, wasn't she? Maybe 2pm or something. And I thought there was a decent enough crowd for that time/stage. She's not really pop enough for the mainstream, not like Kacey, who's got much more crossover potential.

But yeah, that crowd for PoTR this year was, well, sparse would be the kind way to describe it.

2 minutes ago, Mardy said:

Black Deer festival didn't sell out this year, and it's only a 10,000 capacity. Maybe you're right, and there's just no real appetite for Country music in the UK at the moment.

This is not a dig at Kacey she is probably one of the most exciting country/pop artists about right now in my opinion, but she won the Grammy for album of the year and I’d still say that even radio 1’s audience probably don’t know who she is.

Shes not setting the UK on fire, and neither are the country contemporaries but she should still be on glasto’s radar.

9 hours ago, priest17 said:

Maybe its coz country music is the fucking worst.

Hmmm .... interesting view on it.

Saying you don't like Country these days is like saying you don't like Rock or Dance. It covers such a wide range of styles and ages.
I wouldn't say I'm the biggest fan of country music, but there's some damn fine and interesting stuff to listen to if you take the time to give it a try.

There is an appetite for country in the UK - Country2Country sells out most years. But at Glastonbury it doesn't seem to be there.

I was there for Price in '17 and Lukas Nelson this year, and the crowds were small. If Kacey was offered a Pyramid slot I bet it'd be early afternoon Friday/Saturday, which would result in a small crowd. I don't think she'd do it. She's becoming huge in the US, but since country is still niche over here, she's struggling to break out.

I don't know where you'd put her. Pyramid wouldn't be busy enough, and I think she'd want third down as a minimum. She wouldn't accept the Park or Acoustic. They're not going to put her on Other or West Holts.

I'd be there - if she played - but realistically I don't see how the festival bookers and her people would agree a slot right now. 

Golden Hour got to #4 in the UK charts which for a country album is pretty good going, even if it is a popified version. She’d pull a decent crowd in a fifth/sixth down the Pyramid position - perfect feel good sunny afternoon music. Also don’t think she’d be the type to turn her nose up at a lower position - acts are well aware they might not be the same size worldwide. Gotta play the game.

• 2 months later...