21 hours ago, NerdsNatterings said:

Yeah headliners at Trees really ought to be 4th/5th down at Reading size. Probably leaning towards the top end of that with the price increases, start aiming for 3rd downs too (Frank Carter for example doesn't seem out of reach for Trees).

I mean JEW and AFI would still just about play 4th, AFI subbed NME at 2009 and I don't think they've decreased in size, subbing NME is about 4th just. At 10k capacity there is not really the need or warrant for a 3rd down band and Thrice wouldn't even get 4th at Reading.

3 hours ago, Traher666 said:

The first year i went to 2000 Trees, it was £66 for the weekend. The lineup is obviously completely different now, which I know has to be reflected in the price, but the lineup is not good enough to warrant the price increase in my opinion. same filler bands year in year out, a couple of decent bands headlining the cave, a few bigger bands on the main stage and then relatively average size headliners.

That Thrice show in London (which was co-headlining with Refused), was downgraded from Brixton, to Shepherds Bush and they are supposed to be closing out the festival, nah.

No it is pushing above the weight really, Refused have been back and around a while now really for people to have seen and are barely a Brixton band themselves, Thrice as far as I am aware are not. Slam Dunk is a much bigger festival do and they are charging £5 less a ticket. I have just seen Trees parking is £16.50 as well. It is independently run and so you can take your own alcohol is so if you factor that in it may add some weight to it but if you are driving and can't drink then £80 for a day ticket is what you pay for a big arena band and after Silverstein, Against The Current and AFI I am probably stuck.

What I have just noticed though that they have a reduced price for entry after 6pm for £48.15 and that is probably just about justifiable for the bands bands I would bother with.

Edited by thewayiam

7 minutes ago, thewayiam said:

I mean JEW and AFI would still just about play 4th, AFI subbed NME at 2009 and I don't think they've decreased in size, subbing NME is about 4th just. At 10k capacity there is not really the need or warrant for a 3rd down band and Thrice wouldn't even get 4th at Reading.

No it is pushing above the weight really, Refused have been back and around a while now really for people to have seen and are barely a Brixton band themselves, Thrice as far as I am aware are not. Slam Dunk is a much bigger festival do and they are charging £5 less a ticket. I have just seen Trees parking is £16.50 as well. It is independently run and so you can take your own alcohol is so if you factor that in it may add some weight to it but if you are driving and can't drink then £80 for a day ticket is what you pay for a big arena band after Silverstein, Against The Current and AFI I am probably stuck. 

Refused at Brixton got downgraded to The Forum and that wasn’t even full. 

4 minutes ago, Andre91 said:

Refused at Brixton got downgraded to The Forum and that wasn’t even full. 

Not surprised, I like them but they were never a big band anyway and their big return was 2012 I believe so 8 years ago.

For £48 if I can find some to split the costs of fuel I reckon it's probably worth it.

12 minutes ago, thewayiam said:

I dont think its the 10k capacity that warrants it, its the price. Its an amazing festival but its becoming fairly pricey now. I don't think they'd be able to get away with a lot of the headliners they've had before. I agree AFI and JEW are decent sized headliners but not really any bigger than You Me at Six (4th down at Reading last year, headlined NME a few years ago and their last tour was a decent size and sold well) or Frank Turner. I feel like they'll have a really hard time growing if they cant start offering bigger headliners, which surely would mean the kind of bands who would play 3rd down Reading. Looking back at the last few years headliners, a few of them seem a lot smaller. Twin Atlantic aren't doing massive shows and played 7th down at Reading last year (3 spots below YM@6), so thats another band realistically out of the headliner pool. Some of the bands who headlined a few years ago (Nothing but Thieves, Frank Carter ATR, potentially Slaves too when they're active again) would be good bookings as they're on the rise.

16 hours ago, NerdsNatterings said:

I dont think its the 10k capacity that warrants it, its the price. Its an amazing festival but its becoming fairly pricey now. I don't think they'd be able to get away with a lot of the headliners they've had before. I agree AFI and JEW are decent sized headliners but not really any bigger than You Me at Six (4th down at Reading last year, headlined NME a few years ago and their last tour was a decent size and sold well) or Frank Turner. I feel like they'll have a really hard time growing if they cant start offering bigger headliners, which surely would mean the kind of bands who would play 3rd down Reading. Looking back at the last few years headliners, a few of them seem a lot smaller. Twin Atlantic aren't doing massive shows and played 7th down at Reading last year (3 spots below YM@6), so thats another band realistically out of the headliner pool. Some of the bands who headlined a few years ago (Nothing but Thieves, Frank Carter ATR, potentially Slaves too when they're active again) would be good bookings as they're on the rise.

Yup, all at the time headlined when they were nowhere near 4th down bands, I don't think Slaves are too big still but I think the split price between day and evening ticket means the festival is recognising the market for people just to arrive later and you would be similar for an evening gig. I feel they may need to end the take your own drink in as presumably that is what is continuing to increase the price. My friend said said it's high but if you factor in 6 beers that you'd bug which you don't have to price would work out similar to which I agreed if you you weren't driving.

• Downvote 1

Irrespective of 2000trees making it through this year I reckon that they're really going to struggle in the future

The niche they decided to focus on is steadily going out of fashion and appears to cross over more with Slam Dunk each passing year

As Slam Dunk's capacity and buying power increases it's going get increasingly difficult for Trees to compete and operate

36 minutes ago, rawaudioinput said:

Irrespective of 2000trees making it through this year I reckon that they're really going to struggle in the future

The niche they decided to focus on is steadily going out of fashion and appears to cross over more with Slam Dunk each passing year

As Slam Dunk's capacity and buying power increases it's going get increasingly difficult for Trees to compete and operate

Yeah I think SD have opened their fields up enough that 2000 Trees might end up in a situation where The Avalanche stage at Download is where SD will get the priority of them and what doesn't fit in then goes to Trees but I think Trees may just be okay for now given it's a little way into July and enough so that they can cater to bands deciding to do Europe on the latter side of the year whereas Download just books the smaller SD types that have played the previous year etc and the bigger one's end up on the Reading bill or Trees for eg the following.

3 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

Seen them doing a 20% off flash sale for this on Instagram. Pretty dumb/desperate move considering it’s almost definitely gonna get cancelled, but might be something for those who are still hopeful and/or hoping their discounted ticket will get held over for 2021.

I'm pretty sure they'll honour tickets for the next year. They've already looked at dates for later in the year too.

1 hour ago, Chavmeisterdeluxe said:

I'm pretty sure they'll honour tickets for the next year. They've already looked at dates for later in the year too.

Any idea of what the dates later in the year might be? Or like at least a ballpark idea? I can't imagine they would consider anything past September right?

I wonder if they’ll try run two festivals on the same weekend and use bands from ATG as a fill in for dropouts at trees. 

The slam dunk date has screwed them though that first weekend in September would of been Perfect for them if we are back up and running in August. Could of sold a load of tics on the back of people going R&L and getting back into the groove a bit. 

13 minutes ago, tomato12345 said:

I wonder if they’ll try run two festivals on the same weekend and use bands from ATG as a fill in for dropouts at trees. 

The slam dunk date has screwed them though that first weekend in September would of been Perfect for them if we are back up and running in August. Could of sold a load of tics on the back of people going R&L and getting back into the groove a bit. 

Considering that a quite a few both go to both Trees and ATG, I don't think that's an option. I don't really think there are any suitable dates for Trees later on in the year really as no matter which weekend they go for there is a clash with another festival. 

5 minutes ago, justanothername said:

Considering that a quite a few both go to both Trees and ATG, I don't think that's an option. I don't really think there are any suitable dates for Trees later on in the year really as no matter which weekend they go for there is a clash with another festival. 

It’s a real worry if they have to skip a year. Considering how hard it was for them to get a beer sponsor last year I can see them really struggling. 

6 hours ago, jonday81 said:

If the festival is postponed do you think we could defer our ticket until the following year if we can't make the date or would they refund and we rebook? 

email sent out today saying if they reschedule you have the option to get a refund if you cant make the new date. 

On 4/11/2020 at 9:38 AM, rawaudioinput said:

Dont get all this negativity when the festival is growing at an incredible rate and selling very well . It has clearly the biggest h/l's its ever had , the chance to see AFI in this country is rare and Thrice is a European exclusive . Slam dunk is a very different experience to trees i went last year and wont be going again it was overcrowded , couldn't get a drink and just didn't enjoy it much despite it having a great lineup for me . I think trees is doing just fine and has a very loyal clientele . 

• Upvote 2

47 minutes ago, biggest032 said:

Dont get all this negativity when the festival is growing at an incredible rate and selling very well . It has clearly the biggest h/l's its ever had , the chance to see AFI in this country is rare and Thrice is a European exclusive . Slam dunk is a very different experience to trees i went last year and wont be going again it was overcrowded , couldn't get a drink and just didn't enjoy it much despite it having a great lineup for me . I think trees is doing just fine and has a very loyal clientele . 

It can have all the loyal clientele it wants, but they've just put the capacity up 5000, so it will need to survive off more than that. AFI is cool get, Jimmy is a bit underwhelming (however I know would go down well with the trees crows), and European exclusive or not, Thrice are not a big band at all. I don't think people are suggesting that people will expressly choose Slam Dunk over 2000 Trees, but with Slam Dunk expanding, the pool of bands for them to  both book from crosses over much more, and i'd imagine a lot will go to Slam Dunk over Trees.

• Upvote 1

23 hours ago, Traher666 said:

It can have all the loyal clientele it wants, but they've just put the capacity up 5000, so it will need to survive off more than that. AFI is cool get, Jimmy is a bit underwhelming (however I know would go down well with the trees crows), and European exclusive or not, Thrice are not a big band at all. I don't think people are suggesting that people will expressly choose Slam Dunk over 2000 Trees, but with Slam Dunk expanding, the pool of bands for them to  both book from crosses over much more, and i'd imagine a lot will go to Slam Dunk over Trees.

they both appear to be being run very well both are expanding there capacity and buying power at a fast rate and long may this continue for both . Im actually very positive for the future of both festivals .

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, biggest032 said:

they both appear to be being run very well both are expanding there capacity and buying power at a fast rate and long may this continue for both . Im actually very positive for the future of both festivals .

Hear, Hear.

They also are very different experiences with many chosing to go to both anyway, Slam Dunk always has a great set of bands but its just not a "Festival" , 2000 Trees is a proper camping festival that always has a great atmosphere, Usually very few bellends.

• Upvote 1

On 4/21/2020 at 9:12 AM, biggest032 said:

Slam Dunk was overcrowded this year I will agree and not to hamper too much on the Birmingham side of things but it was better and getting a drink was with ease. I would also go as far to say that certain food outlets at Slam Dunk with availability did not match the crowd demand.

I agree with the opinion of Thrice not being a big band, they struggled badly on a joint tour with Refused and aren't the size at all in the UK that AFI and JEW are, both who would still grab 4th/5th spots down main stage lineups at large respective festivals, Thrice would not be given spots anywhere near as high. I've only been Trees once, I enjoyed it, it's not for me for a whole weekend but taking your own drink and the evening ticket purchase for this year I think is a good touch, I feel with that they are maybe recognizing that £75 is pushing the barrier a bit for prices. AFI for me is a big full and I will go for the evening option if it still went ahead. 

I was surprised Thrice are H/L but they just about get away with it with the exclusivity , they will go down well at trees , they fit well with the other h/l , plus there a good cheaper option that they can get away with . That tour with refused was stupidly expensive over £40 for those two was crazy . Both would have been better off doing there own cheaper shows i am certain . At the show i went too Thrice got by far the better response but Refused did stink the place out with there new stuff . 

See that's the thing i really think there is room for both as they are quite different even though they appeal to a similar crowd . Its more that trees may struggle to grow much bigger rather than being out of business altogether. 

Edited by biggest032
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, biggest032 said:

I was surprised Thrice are H/L but they just about get away with it with the exclusivity , they will go down well at trees , they fit well with the other h/l , plus there a good cheaper option that they can get away with . That tour with refused was stupidly expensive over £40 for those two was crazy . At the show i went too Thrice got by far the better response but Refused did stink the place out with there new stuff . 

See that's the thing i really think there is room for both as they are quite different even though they appeal to a similar crowd . Its more that trees may struggle to grow much bigger rather than being out of business altogether. 

I was at the Refused/Thrice Show in Birmingham last year, Im a huge thrice fan so i am A little biased but it was well sold even with the ridiculous price tag, I think if it was just thrice and more towards the £30 instead of over £40 with booking fees thry probably would have sold more than a Co headliner.  Look at last years Saturday night headliner, Deaf havana, They are a similar size to thrice over here and they closed out the festival just fine, Remember Thrice have the Nostalgia Factor also. They are playing Veihssu Front to back but i imagaine there witll be half a dozen hits they will play after this, Arist in the ambulance etc....