Limit on up/down votes?

bombfrog

Regarding down votes - I used to be in a competition with one of my mates to see how many down votes we could get on the Daily Mail on line website. He eventually dropped out of the competition, but I am happy to say that I have persevered. There's nothing quite so satisfying as enraging a Daily Mail reader - or two!  

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, bombfrog said:

Sorry, boring thread but a good time to ask it after the festival hopefully. Obviously aimed at @eFestivals, is there a reason for the limit on daily upvotes?

Maybe I've just got too used to being on Facebook all day and other sites which don't limit reactions, but when I see a clever or funny comment I really want to show it some love but with only about 3 a day I usually can't after lunch. Is there any way it could be raised, maybe a little benefit for gold subscribers?

And yeah, I know, first world problems and everything, but if you don't ask you don't get.

I'm not on facebook, so I find the whole liking and unliking comments things weird. It's useful on these boards as a way of gauging if someones reasonably trustworthy or a bit of a dick, but I can't help thinking of that ep of Black Mirror when I'm up or down voting people! I feel a bit lazy doing it too, but I still do it, so I'm a big hypocrite!

7 minutes ago, Mr.Tease said:

I'm not on facebook, so I find the whole liking and unliking comments things weird. It's useful on these boards as a way of gauging if someones reasonably trustworthy or a bit of a dick, but I can't help thinking of that ep of Black Mirror when I'm up or down voting people! I feel a bit lazy doing it too, but I still do it, so I'm a big hypocrite!

I do keep meaning to upvote you purely for your avatar.  Mrs Q was a bit bemused when we went to Japan and I found a massive Totoro outside a Ghibl store :lol:

7 minutes ago, Quark said:

I do keep meaning to upvote you purely for your avatar.  Mrs Q was a bit bemused when we went to Japan and I found a massive Totoro outside a Ghibl store :lol:

Ha, I went there and saw that- he's one of my favourite drawings ever!

39 minutes ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

Regarding down votes - I used to be in a competition with one of my mates to see how many down votes we could get on the Daily Mail on line website. He eventually dropped out of the competition, but I am happy to say that I have persevered. There's nothing quite so satisfying as enraging a Daily Mail reader - or two!  

Still don't really see the point of this behaviour.

You're not also glastoloverpaul, ollie and jimbarkanoodle are you?

7 minutes ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

Yes, woe betide that the Daily Mail readers should be given a broader education than the instrument that they use for enlightenment provides. 

It’s still going online and annoying people for the sake of it. No different to the idiots who come on here doing it.

I have no love for the Mail or those who read it but trolling is still trolling.

2 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

It’s still going online and annoying people for the sake of it. No different to the idiots who come on here doing it.

I have no love for the Mail or those who read it but trolling is still trolling.

Why is providing an alternative perspective trolling? I didn't say that I annoyed people for the sake of it. Those are your words, not mine. 

1 hour ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

Why is providing an alternative perspective trolling? I didn't say that I annoyed people for the sake of it. Those are your words, not mine. 

Going there with the intention of getting as many negative votes as possible suggests you’re planning to antagonise.

4 hours ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

I'm currently on negative 903. Mainly collected when Thatcher pegged it.

7 hours ago, Quark said:

Think Gold members already get an increased allowance over yer standard visitor?

I quite like the limit tbh. Makes me more thoughtful over what deserves one :)

No.. 

But 3 is enough imo 

4 hours ago, Hugh Jass said:

suggests you’re planning to antagonise.

Yet again,. these are your words, and not mine. Why have you drawn that specific conclusion? Why can't you see the differential whereby providing an opposing prospective on that site will, by it's 'alternative' nature be red arrowed. Are you suggesting that I stop providing the Daily Mail readers with an alternative point of view? 

Yes, I'll grant you that it started as a competition - and that I have carried on in the same vein as the way that that competition went. However, the nitty gritty detail of my input (and my mates previous input) is to provide, to my mind, a more reasoned, more humane, view point. That I get satisfaction from being red arrowed for this is particular to me, and not, to my mind, relatable to a troll. 

• Upvote 3

21 minutes ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

Yet again,. these are your words, and not mine. Why have you drawn that specific conclusion? Why can't you see the differential whereby providing an opposing prospective on that site will, by it's 'alternative' nature be red arrowed. Are you suggesting that I stop providing the Daily Mail readers with an alternative point of view? 

Yes, I'll grant you that it started as a competition - and that I have carried on in the same vein as the way that that competition went. However, the nitty gritty detail of my input (and my mates previous input) is to provide, to my mind, a more reasoned, more humane, view point. That I get satisfaction from being red arrowed for this is particular to me, and not, to my mind, relatable to a troll. 

I applaud your efforts to educate the Daily Mail reader but alas I fear it is a futile task. 

Edited by semmtexx

3 minutes ago, semmtexx said:

I applaud your efforts to educate the Daily Mail reader but alas I fear it is a futile task. 

It probably is indeed an exercise in pissing in the wind. However, there may be some people who just gobble up the Daily Mail's view points as actual fact, without thinking. If they read my (and others) alternative stance, then it might provide them with a less narrowed perspective. I suppose that, technically, it's a waste of my limited time on this planet, but if that were to be completely true, then so would me, you, and everybody else posting here, be guilty of wasting our precious time. It's like all art really, in that one's appreciation, or not, is all subjective.

27 minutes ago, semmtexx said:

Yeah, I'd happily admit to just going on there to antagonise them.

I don't, but only because I have a rule about never visiting the Daily Mail, Sun or Express websites because I know they make ad revenue from every visit.

Edited by bombfrog
  • Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

It probably is indeed an exercise in pissing in the wind. However, there may be some people who just gobble up the Daily Mail's view points as actual fact, without thinking. If they read my (and others) alternative stance, then it might provide them with a less narrowed perspective. I suppose that, technically, it's a waste of my limited time on this planet, but if that were to be completely true, then so would me, you, and everybody else posting here, be guilty of wasting our precious time. It's like all art really, in that one's appreciation, or not, is all subjective.

Well I quite enjoy reading the points of view here but the Mail. Makes my head pound. I try to avoid the mail and the comments for my own sanity!

4 minutes ago, bombfrog said:

Yeah, I'd happily admit to just going on there to antagonise them.

I don't, but only because I have a rule about never visiting the Daily Mail, Sun or Express websites because I know they make ad revenue from every visit.

Terrible papers. And the news of the world. Never forget they hacked into the voicemail of a murdered child and in doing so lead the family to think their child was alive. 

Edited by semmtexx