I still hold out hope each year that Simple Minds return to Glastonbury. I think 'Sparkle In The Rain' is one of the best albums of the 80's and sounds great in the summertime (played it in the past week). 

and since Huey Lewis has gotten a few mentions, I always look for a used copy of 'Sports' in the record bins at markets 

oh another one... I really really like Sharon Van Etten and Kurt Vile, but chose to see Liam Gallagher on Pyramid this year. I listened to 'Definitely Maybe' just before and after Glastonbury this year 

Springsteen '09 still my 2nd greatest moment on the Pyramid (after the Stones) and I'd have him back again and am still absolutely baffled as to why saying that is somehow appropriate for the theme of this thread. 

Bryan Adams was my first ever gig. Hammersmith Odeon 1985. I still think Cuts Like A Knife through Into The Fire were all good highly credible rock albums in 80's context.... 

Edited by tevaburger

1 minute ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

I’m guessing David Cassidy and the Partridge family 

Now you're talking ?

'Cherish' was the first 'LP' I ever owned, aahhh how I loved David Cassidy :wub:  I even had an iron on transfer on a pillow case.

Then he did a full page spread in the News of the World......NAKED?

I went right off him.....I was 10 and really not quite ready for it.

13 minutes ago, Pinhead said:

I often wonder if OMD might work somewhere at Glasto. May I also confess to being having a number of Mike Oldfield albums. Can't see any of those being reproduced live very easily though.

Bjorn Again played a bit of Mike Oldfield before coming on stage - Arrival, which was covered by ABBA, but I think they played the original.

5 minutes ago, Kizzie said:

Now you're talking ?

'Cherish' was the first 'LP' I ever owned, aahhh how I loved David Cassidy :wub:  I even had an iron on transfer on a pillow case.

Then he did a full page spread in the News of the World......NAKED?

I went right off him.....I was 10 and really not quite ready for it.

Mrs Chris was also a fan of him. That’s why the LP collection in our loft has the surreal sight of Cassidy and osmond albums mixed in with my black sabbath, zeppelin and deep purple albums 

Edited by Ayrshire Chris

46 minutes ago, Pinhead said:

I often wonder if OMD might work somewhere at Glasto. May I also confess to being having a number of Mike Oldfield albums. Can't see any of those being reproduced live very easily though.

Since we're going full confessional - OMD was my fav band in high school.  I've seen them a few times since when they tour the States.  The songs and nostalgia are great although the between song banter sounds like a Vegas lounge act.

I mildly hoped they'd show at Glasto so I could see them near their home turf.  Reality is that they would be on a small stage at noon and I probably wouldn't even be out of my tent by then.

1 hour ago, Pinhead said:

Mike Oldfield would work very well (The Park maybe?). His music can be complex but seems to reproduce well live (although I've never seen him). He sounded pretty good at the Olympic opening ceremony a few years back. Tubular Bells would definitely be do'able as would (dare I say it), Ommadawn :)

Edited by Ommadawn

I have an extensive MO collection. However, I confess to having expanded this just because I could over the years. Record shops generally have plenty to choose from  at low prices simply cos he's not that popular.

Years ago they attempted TB on the Spirit of the 70's stage I think. Its always very difficult cos of the many instrument layers required - would give any professional sound man a run for his money - but getting MO to play himself now would be a struggle as he's such a cantankerous old sod these days.

25 minutes ago, Ommadawn said:

Mike Oldfield would work very well (The Park maybe?). His music can be complex but seems to reproduce well live (although I've never seen him). He sounded pretty good at the Olympic opening ceremony a few years back. Tubular Bells would definitely be do'able as would (dare I say it), Ommadawn :)

I've saw Mike Oldfield at Knebworth, donkeys years ago, I love Tubular Bells (ahem, to reference an earlier post I can do the whole Viv Stanshall spiel too, I'm such a bloody anorak) anyway, you're right it is do'able, but I reckon he'd need more than just a casual audience.

I saw Hannah Peel do Tubular Bells a couple of years ago, was great but few people knew it well, which made it lose something, for me anyway, but I'm snooty. :P