56 minutes ago, Barney McGrew said:

I regularly daydream about arranging a successful campaign to get Erasure a decent Pyramid slot... it would go off!

A little respect is one of my all time favourite tunes and saw them many times in my early teens.  If they did play the pyramid, I'd definitely be there. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bombfrog said:

I think I knew End of a Century was a single but forgot, which other one was? To the End?

I was meaning "Parklife" and "Girls and Boys" obviously, they're both shit and not representative of the rest of the album. Clover Over Dover has a beautiful melody, even if the lyrics are cheesy.

Parklife and Girls and Boys are very much representative of the album. They're of very similar vein to Tracey Jacks, Bank Holiday and Jubilee - that's 33%. There's absolutely no shame in loving the indie disco overplayed tracks along with the minor key gentler efforts. Stop pretending you hate the bangers to look cooler than you are ;)

I hate Petsounds (and all the Beachboys music), but I enjoy listening to The Best of Kenny Rogers- I usually pretend it's because my parents made me listen to it in the car as a child (they had 3 tapes- Stevie Wonders 'I just called', Elkie Brookes, and Kenny Rogers), but  have secretly grown to enjoy his music and was secretly delighted when he played glastonbury?

5 minutes ago, Badlands said:

Parklife and Girls and Boys are very much representative of the album. They're of very similar vein to Tracey Jacks, Bank Holiday and Jubilee - that's 33%. There's absolutely no shame in loving the indie disco overplayed tracks along with the minor key gentler efforts. Stop pretending you hate the bangers to look cooler than you are ;)

I like Bank Holiday, Tracey Jacks less so. I also like other cheesy ones like Magic America, just not the main two.

1 minute ago, Mr.Tease said:

I hate Petsounds (and all the Beachboys music), but I enjoy listening to The Best of Kenny Rogers- I usually pretend it's because my parents made me listen to it in the car as a child (they had 3 tapes- Stevie Wonders 'I just called', Elkie Brookes, and Kenny Rogers), but  have secretly grown to enjoy his music and was secretly delighted when he played glastonbury?

I was in my 30s before I realised that the original version "I Guess That's Why They Call It the Blues" was by Elton John and not Elkie Brookes.

On the topic of parents' music, alongside all the normal stuff like Beatles, Stones, Simon & Garfunkey (thanks @bombfrog :lol:) my childhood has left me with an enduring and unshakeable love of the Carpenters. Goodbye To Love is one of the all-time great tunes to sing in the car.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Mr.Tease said:

Why secretly?  The fact that Islands In The Stream has been played 4 times on the Pyramid by all 3 key players is probably my favourite thing about Glastonbury.

19 minutes ago, Quark said:

On the topic of parents' music, alongside all the normal stuff like Beatles, Stones, Simon & Garfunkey (thanks @bombfrog :lol:) my childhood has left me with an enduring and unshakeable love of the Carpenters. Goodbye To Love is one of the all-time great tunes to sing in the car.

Nothing wrong with loveing The Carpenters. Controversially I'd take their brand of pop music over Abba any day.

Did you like the covers album that came out in the 90s? I still love the Redd Kross version of Yesterday Once More, shows what a great song is when you can do it in a completely different way and it's still great.

'Hotel California' is one of my all time favourite songs, I know every word and can sing every note of the guitar lead break.

I can't abide Prince, Amy Winehouse was completely overrated, and Bruce Springsteen at Glastonbury made me weep with the pain of dullity. (Made that word up) (Also only stayed for 2.5 songs) (Neil will swear it was 3 songs) ?

29 minutes ago, Quark said:

My best friends brothers listened to the carpenters and I know every word of every song! I’m so mad Karen is dead and I’ll never get to sing along with her live. 

Beautiful south too. And I still love Paul Heaton and Jacqui Abbott. I cried real life happy tears when glastonbury announced the were back together and playing, then 30 seconds into their first song, I cried again. They sounded just like they did on the cd ?

9 minutes ago, Kizzie said:

'Hotel California' is one of my all time favourite songs, I know every word and can sing every note of the guitar lead break.

I wasn't aware this was anything other than objective fact!

I think Blurred Lines is a great song, and the uproar about the lyrics is totally ridiculous.

I think All about that bass is an appalling song (maybe not controversial), and people really should be upset about those lyrics, which basically say to larger girls (in a novelty song which appeals to children) "don't worry if men don't objectify you for having a slender figure, they can still objectify you for your arse!"

4 minutes ago, Quark said:

I wasn't aware this was anything other than objective fact!

Ah but, I make the proper sounds, I don't just sing it.....it's quite special, almost an event, if I do say so myself. :P

Just now, Kizzie said:

Ah but, I make the proper sounds, I don't just sing it.....it's quite special, almost an event, if I do say so myself. :P

I meant the song being an absolute classic!  Although I now have a desire to hear this at the R&F next year :D

11 minutes ago, maelzoid said:

I think Blurred Lines is a great song, and the uproar about the lyrics is totally ridiculous.

I think All about that bass is an appalling song (maybe not controversial), and people really should be upset about those lyrics, which basically say to larger girls (in a novelty song which appeals to children) "don't worry if men don't objectify you for having a slender figure, they can still objectify you for your arse!"

I think both songs have terrible lyrics but they are quite catchy. If we start going into songs with questionable lyrics that we like we could be here for a long time!!!