5 minutes ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

Same with Floating Points. It's a bit too "chin strokey" for me.

I don't mind Hopkins to be honest.

I hate the phrase IDM. "Intelligent dance music" as if it has more merit than any other dance music. It is not more intelligent than listening to some Gabber and actually enjoying yourself.

Floating Points is another one for me, when I’ve seen him I’m just constantly thinking ‘just stick a fucking banger on!’

3 hours ago, kingbadger said:

Music snobs who lambast people for enjoying meat and potatoes rock are just as bad as indie ladsladslads who denounce hip hop, pop and every other genre as 'not proper music.

Not sure I entirely agree with this as the latter is often a symptom of a deeper, less pleasant prejudice.

Wasnt going to dwell on it, but this popped up today.

Disco Demolition: the night they tried to crush black music

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2019/jul/19/disco-demolition-the-night-they-tried-to-crush-black-music

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Mouseboy11 said:

Floating Points is another one for me, when I’ve seen him I’m just constantly thinking ‘just stick a fucking banger on!’

Yes I'm not really a fan of the ambient doesn't really go anywhere music. I guess I just like melody. I don't mind it as background noise, ok for in a restaurant or something where you want to have a conversation but I'd never choose to listen to any of them at home. This time around 2 artists had me reaching for the skip button on my Glastonbury playlist Jon Hopkins and Acid Mother's Temple. I just kept wondering when they were going to get to the point. The fact that they don't probably is the point but it's not for me. 

6 minutes ago, bombfrog said:

You don't get it, or guilty pleasure?

Genuinely not sure if Prog Rock is supposed to be cool or not?

I bloody loved it. Massive gatefold album covers with roger dean artwork. Gigs with half hour Carl Palmer drum solos ending up with giant gongs being battered, audiences of teenage lads with RAF trench coats and extreme acne. It was ultra cool for a wee while!  

20 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Not sure I entirely agree with this as the latter is often a symptom of a deeper, less pleasant prejudice.

Wasnt going to dwell on it, but this popped up today.

Disco Demolition: the night they tried to crush black music

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2019/jul/19/disco-demolition-the-night-they-tried-to-crush-black-music

Really interesting article. I genuinely think a lot of people who claim rock as real music aren't aware of the racist/sexist undertones that is there but that doesn't mean that it isn't. One of the reasons I couldn't really get on board the Foo Fighters train the other year was the way Dave Grohl talked dismissively about the EDM tents as though rock is somehow superior. I personally probably prefer more rock because of my upbringing, product of my environment etc but it doesn't mean it is better. It just has a nasty 'white men are the best, anything else is just not quite as good' attitude. I'm sure Dave Grohl isn't racist but that superiority thing seeps into everything in life. 

19 minutes ago, Barney McGrew said:

I regularly daydream about arranging a successful campaign to get Erasure a decent Pyramid slot... it would go off!

Is there a world in which this is considered uncool because if there is I don't want to live there. It would 100% go off and they would be amazing. 

50 minutes ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

I hate the phrase IDM. "Intelligent dance music" as if it has more merit than any other dance music. It is not more intelligent than listening to some Gabber and actually enjoying yourself.

IDM was an awful Americanism when it first appeared 20-odd years ago.  It's resurgence in 21st century England is disappointing.