21 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Doesn't count. I thought everyone knew that was a good song.

I prefer Lemar to Kendrick Lamar. Surely that loses me some cool points?

OK, I'll raise you. I don't Iike Fontaines DC.

I didn't grow up in a house of music lovers. I am absolutely the black sheep in my family and so my musical education was slow. My mothers favourite artist was Elvis Presley and for a long, long time that meant I hated him with a passion. I still hate his slow songs. She had the most dire taste in music think Lionel Ritchie - Hello and Stevie Wonder - I just called to say I love you. I avoided both these artists for years because I assumed they were awful. I still don't like Lionel Ritchie but have grown to love Stevie Wonder. 

My new years resolution the year Bowie died was to listen to more Bowie as I knew loads of people loved him but I only had a greatest hits kind of knowledge of his stuff. 

As I didn't really have a lot of guidance I was a proper 80's kid and loved a lot of Stock, Aitken and Waterman. My first big gig was Jason Donovan. I was obsessed with A-ha and still maintain that they are great. I loved Wet, Wet, Wet and I had an 80's hairspray rock era. I loved Bon Jovi, Cinderella, Skid Row, Guns 'n' Roses. In the 90's I became a bit of an Indie music/Britpop bore to the exclusion of a lot of other things. I would literally walk off a dancefloor if Take That were played. 

Now I'm thankfully a lot more open to all kinds of music and a tune is a tune. I love Glastonbury for this reason. Every year I make my playlist and discover things I enjoy without knowing anything about them. This year it was Professor Elemental, Anne Marie, Sigrid and Miley Cyrus because Nothing Breaks Like a Heart is a tune. I didn't go and see them apart from Professor Elemental but I will listen to them in the future because of the festival.  

5 minutes ago, Rose-Colored Boy said:

We Will Rock You is one of the worst and most annoying songs ever written and I would be less than upset if it is never played on the Pyramid Stage, or better still banned from all sports events forevermore. 

Crazy Little Thing Called Love, on the other hand..

I do like a couple of tunes.

I like another one bites the dust.

As for liking a few tunes I supposedly shouldn't... I will go to my grave saying that is in the top 10 tunes of the 90s:

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, bombfrog said:

I have too many to list, in all categories, but I'll give it a go.

* Never really listened to David Bowie before he died, just didn't get him.

* Don't really like Radiohead since their first album and didn't watch their Pyramid set, same with Rolling Stones, I went to watch Example on the Other Stage instead.

* Pink Floyd can get in the bin.

* I watched the first 10 or so series of X Factor and enjoyed it.

* I can recite all the words to Ice Ice Baby in well under a minute.

* I listen to Radio 1 most days and still love lots of modern pop music, including stuff like Arianne Grande and Camilla Cabello.

* I listened to a bit of Simply Red on Spotify the other day and enjoyed it (the early stuff obvs.)

I like lots of cool stuff too, I promise :D

Sneaked a brag into confessions. Don't think we didn't notice :D

2 hours ago, Quark said:

I'm 39 years old, was a teenager during the Britpop explosion, but I have never listened to the albums Parklife or Suede.

Not judging, especially after the list of atrocities I posted above, but if you've never heard "This is a Low" I'm actually sort of jealous. Imagine being able to listen to "This is a Low" for the first time, blows my mind.

The problem was that they released the most awful novelty tracks off the album. From a commercial point of view it did wonders for their career but there is some absolute dross on that album. A few of them though are absolutely magical. If you get a spare 10 minutes you really should have a quick listen to:

• This is a Low
  • End of a Century
  • Clover over Dover
  • To The End

In fact, I'm going to do that right now, even if nobody else does.

Edited by bombfrog

25 minutes ago, Quark said:

Had a cursory check of Rolling Stone's list of top albums of all time. Of the Top 20 there are 12 I've never listened to:

Pet Sounds

Revolver

Highway 61 Revisited

Exile on Main Street

Blonde on Blonde

The Sun Sessions

Kind of Blue

The Velvet Underground

Are You Experienced?

Blood on the Tracks

Born to Run

Astral Weeks

Some of those are worth at least one listen. It's not too late.

3 minutes ago, bombfrog said:

Not judging, especially after the list of atrocities I posted above, but if you've never heard "This is a Low" I'm actually sort of jealous. Imagine being able to listen to "This is a Low" for the first time, blows my mind.

The problem was that they released the most awful novelty tracks off the album. From a commercial point of view it did wonders for their career but there is some absolute dross on that album. A few of them though are absolutely magical. If you get a spare 10 minutes you really should have a quick listen to:

• This is a Low
  • End of a Century
  • Clover over Dover
  • To The End

In fact, I'm going to do that right now, even if nobody else does.

Two of those were singles, and Clover Over Dover is definitely filler.

1 minute ago, maelzoid said:

In the Spotify era, this is actually quite impressive. Are you not tempted to spin one of these just out of curiosity? Or are you aiming to hold out for all eternity?

Nowt deliberate about it, although now I am tempted.  It's more a mentality that there's so much out there, particularly in the Spotify era as you say, that I don't feel bound to listen to stuff just because I "should".  I'm the same with TV shows and movies.  Never watched Shawshank Redemptio, Breaking Bad or the Sopranos.  

I'll probably get round to them at some point :) 

13 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Two of those were singles, and Clover Over Dover is definitely filler.

I think I knew End of a Century was a single but forgot, which other one was? To the End?

I was meaning "Parklife" and "Girls and Boys" obviously, they're both shit and not representative of the rest of the album. Clover Over Dover has a beautiful melody, even if the lyrics are cheesy.